X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wasabichondro
    • Sep 2009

Plasma Burn in switched to LCD

I purchased a plasma TV, turned the brightness sharpness and contrast way down right away. After a week I decided to set up the reciever on screen menu to tell it which HDMI was for what source. As I was setting up the menu I was ghosting the hell out of the TV. Could have been a permanent burn or a temporary image retention. I DONT CARE! I returned it ASAP to get an LCD.

I knew this was possible if the screen was "abused" but not in 15 minutes of setting up the on screen menu. I am surprised I do not hear these stories more often. I wanted this plasma and enjoyed the deep blacks for about a week in my dark room, but that was all it took for me to change my mind.
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

What model TV? How long were you in the on-screen menus? Most likely it was temporary, modern plasmas are a lot more resistant to permanent burn-in than the earliest models.

If it seemed to be "instantaneous" burning, it was probably a shadow effect created by a graphical OSD on your receiver. In that case the shadows/ghosts should disappear immediately when you exit the OSD.

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Yeah that doesn't sound like burn in. I've left OSD's up on plasma's for 30-45 minutes or so before and never had an issue with burn in. Heck in racing games you get items on the screen that sit longer then that.

Comment

• wasabichondro
        • Sep 2009

It stayed on in the background of interview with the vampire for 15-20 minutes and that is when I decided to return it.

I was told the newer plasma that are more energy efficient have more sensitivity to cause ghosting especially in the first 100 hours of using them. I know there are sweeps and other features to help reduce or "repai" temporary ghosting but I was very surprised it was soeasilly done.

Comment

• joetama
          • May 2006

Back in the day when I got my Pioneer Pro-940HD watching Kingdom of Heaven with all the blue sky shots I realized the idiot store I purchased the TV from like to watch QVC. But, I gave it about a week and the burn in was gone. Had the TV now for 5? years maybe and have never looked back. Except when my brother got a PDP-5010, but its a few years newer and a lot larger than mine.
          -Joe

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Seems a bit knee-jerk but as long as you're happy with what you got.
            Jason

Comment

• wasabichondro
              • Sep 2009

I am happy with the LCD. I had to act quickly since my friend was there with his truck and I did not want to get stuck with it. Mini Coopers are not got for transporting 50" plasmas.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"