X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • willng24
    • Aug 2005

replacing the VCR..which is best

Hey All,

Wow, I actually found someone who wanted to buy my VCR!! Well that said, I now have space on my TV stand for some type of video capture device. I know there are many competing products out there but which is the best. I’m looking to:

• Minimize the number of decks I need to buy
    • Record onto HDD & DVD
    • Have a progressive scan out (or HD up converting, but I think I’m just dreaming)

I currently have Comcast cable TV and will upgrade to the HD box this weekend. I know there is an option to have the HD box with the HDD, but do they also come with a DVD burner?

Sorry for the long question, but any advice that you experts can spare will be greatly appreciated.

thanks
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

If the HD box is a Scientific American then no, no DVD burner but it gives you the option to copy to a VCR. I just record on the DVR, watch it when I have time and then erase.

Comment

• H.Donald
      • Aug 2004

I'm not sure what you are asking....are you asking is there a cable HD box with a dvd recorder built in???

I know a lot of people use Tivo...but I have never tried it.
      Both my setups include a Panasonic DVD recorder...I have burned old vhs tapes on to disc with it,I have also used it's hard drive to record shows,movies ect....
      And it has all worked well for me....

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

HD box with DVR would be my suggestion. You can burn to DVD or record to VCR over composite or s-video if you have a dvd burner/VCR. Or if your VERY computer savvy and your SP has the firewire enabled you can record to your PC and then burn to DVD but it's not the most user friendly thing to do.

99% of the time the PVR's all you need anyway though.
        Jason

Comment

• Glen B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2004

I record programming from my Scientific Atlanta cable box on a DVD recorder. I especially like recording onto DVD-RAM disks, which allow me to "chase play" programs (i.e., watch a program that is currently being recorded from the beginning while recording is still in process).

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

This is my personal opinion and this is what I do with DirectTV. I have a DVR (TIVO) and a separate DVD recorder (~$100.00). I know you wish to minimize your space, but I don't believe that Comcast will provide that option. Try the DVR initially and see if you fits your needs and go from there.

Best regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Shane Martin
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2001

Go the DVR route and see if that suits you. You may not need more than a dual tuner pvr box like I don't. If you wish to transfer hi def you'll need to use the firewire port because it won't fit on a dvd.

They don't make dvr's with dvd burners(that record HI Def). For SD they do but who wants sd? :

That said I wouldn't mind getting a blu Ray recorder with firewire in to go with my cable box for archiving.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"