X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Video Switching?

Could someone be so kind as to explain what 'Video Switching' is as it relates to pre/pros, composite, component and S-Video?

Remember, Im a novice....So be Kind!!!!

TIA
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • locomk
    • Dec 2005

most new receivers and pros have video ins and outs. so lets say you bought a new processor that has video switching that up converts, what this means is that you can run the component video output of your dvd player, the s-video out of your vcr, the component out of your hd box, have your game systems video connections run into your receiver, and than only have one video cable to your tv. your tv will than always be on the same video input (ie video input 4) so whenever you switch a input on your receiver, you'll get the picture and sound. new receivers will even take a composite, s-video, or component cable and than convert it to dvi/hdmi . this really comes in handy for flat panel tvs, where you'll only see one cable coming out the back versus having all your video devices run a sperate cable. just be careful which receiver or processor you choose, some make the video worse by not having enough bandwidth to pass thru the signal at full quality.

Comment

• Clive
      Former Moderator
      • Jan 2002

Good answer Marian and just to add that the bonus for using the reciever to do the "Video & Sound" switching is that you don't have to also switch the TV/video display too. One less step.

On the flip side what this means it that you'll have to switch on the receiver everytime you want to see a broadcast or show.

There is also the risk of gaining "Video Noise" with lower end units.

You may have to adjust (especially the sub) the volume if watching TV at nights.

Personally, (not that it really matters) I like to run my video signals direct from source to display :T

However, Video switching does make it more convenient.
      CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• wkhanna
        • Jan 2006

Thank you both for such 'easy to understand' explanation!!!!!
        I hear a lot of 'comments' about noise and delay when switching, but as I now understand it, this will not effect the 'quality' of the signal after the selection is made and the 'switch' is completed.

Originally posted by Clive
        Personally, (not that it really matters) I like to run my video signals direct from source to display :T

However, Video switching does make it more convenient.
        As I prepare to buy my first AV ( a used Rotel RSP-976 pre/pro ), one of my concerns was video signal 'Losses' due to routing through an AV unit ( 2 S-Video cables, 4 discrete connections and manipulation of the signal by the AV).

I will use an A-B comparison after I get the unit and see how it goes. But since I have older CRT (36" Sony) that has S-Video but not component, I am not expecting much if any discernable difference. It will cost me the price of one more high quality S-Video cable, though.

This brings up another question. I know about the audio test CD’s for setting up surrounds, but is there an equivalent in DVD format for video?
        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• peterS
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by wkhanna
          Thank you both for such 'easy to understand' explanation!!!!!
          I hear a lot of 'comments' about noise and delay when switching, but as I now understand it, this will not effect the 'quality' of the signal after the selection is made and the 'switch' is completed.

As I prepare to buy my first AV ( a used Rotel RSP-976 pre/pro ), one of my concerns was video signal 'Losses' due to routing through an AV unit ( 2 S-Video cables, 4 discrete connections and manipulation of the signal by the AV).

I will use an A-B comparison after I get the unit and see how it goes. But since I have older CRT (36" Sony) that has S-Video but not component, I am not expecting much if any discernable difference. It will cost me the price of one more high quality S-Video cable, though.

This brings up another question. I know about the audio test CD’s for setting up surrounds, but is there an equivalent in DVD format for video?
          yes there definitly is but i dont know where, how useful, or how much... the person who told me they had one got it on ebay

Comment

• locomk
            • Dec 2005

Avia Test pattern dvds are great for video calibration. Many differt Brands on The Market for this.

Comment

• Marzen
              • Jul 2005

That's not quite true. You're thinking of switch noise, or signal bounce from a mechanical switch or relay.

Video loss & noise/distortion occur with improperly terminated switchers & incorrect gain circuitry, not an issue with a quality device.

CRT's are extremely forgiving of improper input signals. I wouldn't go too overboard on the cable, unless you have personal reasons.
              AVIA & Digital Video Essentials are two popular setup dvd's.
              What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

• wkhanna
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Marzen
                That's not quite true. You're thinking of switch noise, or signal bounce from a mechanical switch or relay.
                Then what exactly are people talking about when the they complain about these issues?

Video loss & noise/distortion occur with improperly terminated switchers & incorrect gain circuitry, not an issue with a quality device.
                So video signal quality is mostly dependant on device design and the quality of the electronic components used within the devise itself? (not taking into account cable length and routing)
                And would an older Rotel RSP-976 be considered anywhere near a ‘quality’ device in your opinion?

CRT's are extremely forgiving of improper input signals. I wouldn't go too overboard on the cable, unless you have personal reasons.
                I wouldn’t spend more than $30-$40 on a one meter S-Video cable at this point.

And thanks for all your help!!!
                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Marzen
                  • Jul 2005

Hi, I only answered in general as I work in the video switching & cable field.
                  1) I'm just guessing here, but based on your understanding of what they're discussing - it sounds like they're using passive rotary switches. The switching equivalent of unplugging your cable by hand and reinserting it into another device. When changing sources you will lose sync & introduce some noise when when the switch contacts move to the next location.
                  2a) Correct. Circuit design & component selection is key to a good product. Price doesn't always dictate performance. But that's true in any product.
                  2b) As to Rotel's video switching quality - I don't have any experience with their products, I would check the forums here for users with the same gear and configuration you have. See what they think. I don't really have much interaction with consumer grade components in general other than what I own & what we buy at work due to customer problems. However, I am always happy to personally audition & test any equipment that's better than mine, & I guarantee to have it back to you within a year
                  Regards,
                  Ward

Comment

• wkhanna
                    • Jan 2006

Thank you for the clarifications, and until I get my system on motorized castors w/ integrated GPS and programabel remote control, you are more than welcome to make the short journey to Pittsburgh and check it out!

Oh, and my German is pretty limited, could you translate?
                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Marzen
                      • Jul 2005

Thank you for the clarifications, and until I get my system on motorized castors w/ integrated GPS and programabel remote control, you are more than welcome to make the short journey to Pittsburgh and check it out!
                      Wow, a self-guided, mobile entertainment center! "Why go to the movie when it can come to you".
                      I may take you up on that offer; or at least meet at the Church Brewery for a pint & some food & talk about frivolous over-the-top toys.
                      Oh, and my German is pretty limited, could you translate?
                      Ahem...'my shoes need oil' ops:

Comment

• wkhanna
                        • Jan 2006

Maybe my Dutch is worse than my German?
                        I know the Church Brewery well. Wonderful beer and good food.
                        Almost sacrilegious the way they turned the alter into the actual brewing part of the business! I love it; in a heretic kind of way. Also, another great spot is Penn Brewery, just down the road (across the bridge) from there.

Let me know next time you plan on coming over, as it would be a valid excuse for me to partake of the hand made libations.
                        Last edited by wkhanna; 30 January 2006, 16:09 Monday.
                        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"