X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rolyasm
    • Dec 2004

Doubling speakers by using amp AND reciever channels

I know this probably wouldn't sound good, but I was curious about this setup. Say a person was using a Receiver as a preamp and had a 5 channel amp for 5.1. So all 5 speakers are running off the amp. Is there a way to use the amp channels, AND the receiver channels. So lets say you have a typical 5.1 on the amps, then you added another center, two more fronts and sides, and mabye even rear surrouds running off the receivers power. Can you run the receiver as a preamp and also use it's amp capabilities? I know it would be difficult to calbrate and probably do much more harm than good, but is it possible?
    Roly
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

The closest I can even come to recommending something like that is biamping with the amps from the different units to the single set of speakers.

Running additional spealers would cause so many problems it's not even funny.
    Jason

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

Indeed, that seems that would cause impendance issues, which in turn, may cause some serious electrical damage to your equipment.

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

It shouldn't damage your equipment, since the pre-outs are always active whether or not you're using them, and whether or not you have speakers connected to the receiver's speaker outputs. However, having more than one speaker per channel isn't going to sound good. The biamping idea would work, but since most outboard amps are far superior to those built into receivers, it would more likely degrade the sound over using the outboard amp alone.

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

Thanks Kevin I mispoke, I thought he was going to run some additional channels (other than 5.1) off the receiver.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI Roly,
            If I understand your question, it should work fine. All you need to avoid is somehow connecting your amp outputs to your receivers power amp outputs. That will make smoke! The receiver doesn't know if you have something hooked up to the preamp outputs. They remain active at all times.

It's another question as to whether you should do it. One possible application would be a complete 5.1 system in another room but running off one set of electronics. Is that what you have in mind?

Be very careful here. Make sure we understand your question.

Sparky

Comment

• Rolyasm
              • Dec 2004

It is more hypothetical. I was talking to a guy who has a 5 channel Earthuake amp, but wants to use the extra, unused channels on his receiver to add more speakers. He would end up having like a 10.1. I thought it would be very difficult to calibrate the speakers to sound good, but I was uncertain about the "fry" possiblitly of his equipment. So it sounds like he can't hurt his equipment as long as the preamps go to the amp, the amp to the speakers, and the output channels on the receiver to more speakers. He might try another center for fun. I am not sure. I just didn't want to see him blow his gear. Thanks all.
              Roly

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Again, multiple speakers playing the same thing in the same room (ie: two centres) will sound HORRIBLE :nonod:
                Jason

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"