X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rolyasm
    • Dec 2004

4 Side channels from 2 amp channels?

In a larger room with 2 rows of seating, is it possible to either split the Surround Output to four channels of amplification (four RCA instead of two with a "y" splitter) or to run four pair of speaker cable from 2 channels of amplification (LSurround amp out goes to 2 speakers and RSurround amp out goes to 2 speakers)? A few problems I see is that the back row would have a speaker located about 4-6 feet in front of them and to the side. It seems that would be very localized using dipole/bipoles, as the angle would be aiming almost straight at the back row. Direct Radiating might sound better in this setup, more like a movie theater? My next question is timing. I know sound travels fast, somthing like 1200 feet/ second, so it would only be milliseconds in delay between the front and rear surrounds, but that might be enough to make a difference. Is there any way to delay the rear surrounds a millisecond or two,or is it not going to be noticeable anyway? Any kind of timing device used? So questions are:
    1)split the RCA outs and get two more amp channels (probably best)
    or
    2)add two additional surround speakers to existing 2 amp channels (safe?)
    3)Is a delay needed

Thanks

Roly

Currently I am using a 7 channel amp that is 125 RMS x 7. Surround speakers would be in-wall most likely, 8 ohm, around 90dB effec.
  • kirknelson
    • Sep 2006

1)split the RCA outs and get two more amp channels (probably best)

Will work fine but requires 2 additional amps.

2)add two additional surround speakers to existing 2 amp channels (safe?)

Will also work fine, just make sure your amp is stable into 4 ohms.

3)Is a delay needed

No

This is exactly what movie theaters do. They use multiple direct radiating speakers to cover the surround field.

Comment

• Rolyasm
      • Dec 2004

Thanks kirk,
      Has anyone actually heard a setup using two rows and multiple speakers? I would be curious if it works better with direct radiating or bipole/dipole. I have the same question on another site and one member thinks it might cause too many cancellations using direct radiators on the walls. I know this is how movie theaters do it, but not sure what kind of equipment they are using. Thanks
      Roly

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"