X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • comeup
    • Jul 2005

Faroudja with Denon 3910

Before I bought the Denon 3910 I read alot of reviews about the macro blocking issue associated with Faroudja chips. It was suppose to be eliminated, but i've seen it on at least a half dozen movies. I returned a Pioneer Elit DVD 59 AI for the Denon what a mistake.Be careful when buying this dvd player and test it alot in the first thirty days of purchase. It does have a great picture other than....... For now i'm using component video cable for I have an four year old Hitachi RPTV HDTV without DVI or HDMI. Sometime next year I will be buying a wall mounted television with a digital connection, maybe the macro blocking will be gone with a digital connection.

Has anyone else had a problem with macro blocking?
    Blake
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

Changing to a different connection won't fix the macroblocking. It's inherent in the chip.

The display may minimize it but that's all you can hope for.

Comment

• comeup
      • Jul 2005

I guest I have to live with it, but for fifteen hundred bucs it hurts a little and it shouldn't be happening.

peace
      Blake

Comment

• mitch57
        • Nov 2004

Is this still a problem with the most recently built Denon 3910s? I have thought about upgrading my player to the Denon 3910. But not if it still has this problem.
        Mitch
        :stupidpc:

Comment

• comeup
          • Jul 2005

Mitch I bought mine about three months ago. I don't know what version it is, but you do see the macro blocking from time to time. I do go through alot of movies without seeing them at all and when I do its a glimsp. I've probably watched 40 to 50 movies since having the 3910 and have never seen them more than once in a movie. The picture is awsome on it and it sounds pretty good, but do regret taking the Pioneer Elite dvd Ai 59 back. The picture on it was more rosy and it had a much more hifi sound to it especially with multichannel music, even the movies had a more hifi sound. The reason I took the Pioneer back was because on certain movies I had red line moving up & down on my diplay, but it didn't do it on the tv in the store when I returned it, so there probably was a compatibility problem. Pioneer has dropped the price on the 59 Ai to 999.00 coming from 1600$ I would go for that one. On the 3910 flesh tones sometimes slighly look green, but all in all the Denon is a good player and built like a tank, but personally think it costs to much. I paid 1200 for mine.

PS. You usally have thirty days to play with so go for it.
          Blake

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

I seem to remember reading that the problem isn't techincally "macroblocking" that it's something else that looks similar and was fixable by a firmware update. Try contacting Denon and/or search the web for 3910 firmware updates
            Jason

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Accurate calibration of the DVD player to the display levels/thresholds is quite important to minimizing this effect, ESPECIALLY with newer displays with scaling and digital processing from DVD sources, where quantization errors/mismatch can exacerbate the effect. On my CRT system, which doesn't use A/D input scaler (unlike most RPTVs), and uses DVI to RGB conversion from an Oppo Digital DVI output (which uses the Faroudja chipset for scaling and de-interlacing), I've almost never seen what folks have described as macroblocking, except at the very tail end of scene fadeouts.

So, let's just say that the effect is display and setup sensitive/dependent, and can be minimized.

~Jon

~Jon
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• maverick11359
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by comeup
                Before I bought the Denon 3910 I read alot of reviews about the macro blocking issue associated with Faroudja chips. It was suppose to be eliminated, but i've seen it on at least a half dozen movies. I returned a Pioneer Elit DVD 59 AI for the Denon what a mistake.Be careful when buying this dvd player and test it alot in the first thirty days of purchase. It does have a great picture other than....... For now i'm using component video cable for I have an four year old Hitachi RPTV HDTV without DVI or HDMI. Sometime next year I will be buying a wall mounted television with a digital connection, maybe the macro blocking will be gone with a digital connection.

Has anyone else had a problem with macro blocking?
                Hi comeup ,I own a Denon 3910 and play it's video through my Infocus sp5000 projector in H.D 1080i connected via DVI cable displaying onto a 2.4m/94" fixed screen and have seen no macro blocking effect on any of my movies(watched approx.300 ).But I did do the firmware upgrade by the 2 Disc set on the 3910 about 5 months ago which was to refine some video problems according to Denon .I installed the projector 6 months ago just before the upgrade on the Denon.The 3910 does an incrediable job of upscalling my SD disc,s to HD ,I prefer it over my HD set top box which I also play in 1080i.Maybe the upgrade might solve your problem.mave :T

Comment

• comeup
                  • Jul 2005

Thanks Maverick I'll be getting in contact with Denon soon about that firmware hope it works, also I'm looking forward to upgrading my monitor so I can take advantage of the HD upconversion, is it much better than component video? thats one of the reasons why this dvd player cost so much.

peace
                  Blake

Comment

• maverick11359
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by comeup
                    Thanks Maverick I'll be getting in contact with Denon soon about that firmware hope it works, also I'm looking forward to upgrading my monitor so I can take advantage of the HD upconversion, is it much better than component video? thats one of the reasons why this dvd player cost so much.

peace
                    Gaday Blake , I ran components for the first 6 months in to my Panasonic T.V from when I first bought the 3910 in January 2005. It always had a great picture better in comparison to my Denon 1400 which I also had connected in component using my Sony 333es reciever as the processor.But theres no comparison now , the 1400 is connected in component to my Infocus projector via the Sony again were as the 3910 is connected straight to the projector via a monster quality DVI cable(clone).This is were the 3910 video comes to it own and shows it's full potential ,little did I now when I purchased it for its music quality that I would be utilizing all it's video capabilities.When you watch a DVD in Standard Def.(576/480 pixels) on the 94"Fixed screen from the Denon 1400 and then play the same DVD in up scaled HD (1920/1080i )pixels with the 3910 it will leave you speechless.All those functions in the Video EQ memory bank(changing HUE and so on) are fantastic.But after you've found your mean settings you usually don't need to touch them again. The black enhancement is another great function perfect for projectors(most projector's weak points are displaying blacks that are black), it really looks like your watching a huge Plasma sceen in HD. Overall I found it well worth the money $2,200. AUS. considering it's Audio/ video pedigree .Anyway let me now how you fare; Mave.

Comment

• comeup
                      • Jul 2005

Maverick it will be a few months before I get the new monitor do to some painting and other things I need to do around the house before setting it up properly. It will be a 50 inch plasma over the fireplace. I guest after spending so much on the 3910 and not utilizing the digital capabilities it feels like a waste, but it will be all good in time.

Thanks for giving me something to look forward tooooo.

peace
                      Blake

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"