X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ron
    • Nov 2005

Connecting 2 subwoofers?

Heres a basic question - I am building a new system, probably gonna get an Onkyo 703 and I am buying new speakers. I have an old 10in sub, can I connect that to the new sub that I am going to buy, so I will have 2 subs working. How do you do that and can you mix and match subs??

Thanks.....
  • gcmarshall
    • Dec 2005

if your receiver has a "sub out" jack, you should be able to connect a Y-connector (2 female, 1 male) to that jack. then, simply plug your two sub cables into the female side of the Y connector. you can get Y connectors for as little as a few dollars, depending on how much you think you want to pay and how much, if any, quality difference you think you might get.

Comment

• Clive
      Former Moderator
      • Jan 2002

Hi Ron, What kind of Sub are you planning on buying, another 10" or ?

Is the sub you have now a powered sub or passive?
      CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• ron
        • Nov 2005

Clive, I currently have a 15 year old M & K VX-4, it has a left and right preamp connection on the back and standard cable hookups. Its either a 10 or 12 inch (how can I tell) very heavy big box but it should be in good shape.

Are different subs compatible?

thanks....ron

Comment

• ron
          • Nov 2005

Also, its a powered sub and I will buy either a 10 or 12 depending if I can use this or not

ron

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

Connect the 2 subs with a y-adapter. You could also use a y-adapter on the sub end. Using Multiple Y's in the loop won't cause too much of an issue.

Placement will be your biggest issue. Given the way rooms typically work, you may be best off putting both of them into one corner and "stacking" them.

After owning an M&K MX Series in the past and having friends with them, I would say you are best off selling the current K Series and upgrading to another sub companys subs like HSU or SVS. M&K's just don't go very low for todays modern soundtracks.

Comment

• Clive
              Former Moderator
              • Jan 2002

Hi Ron, shane is correct. However if you are gonna buy another Sub (same size, >by measuring the the cone by the way) may just improve the depth.
              Just connect them as described above then set the values.

However I would also agree with the suggestion to go with 1 good sub, save on space and get best results :T
              CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Rolyasm
                • Dec 2004

If the sub has inputs and outputs, left and right, can you connect the one sub to the receiver out, then connect the second sub through the main sub's out?

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"