X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • abcheng
    • Dec 2005

Nady XA-1100 Amp

Hi, I'm going currently building a box for my Adire Audio Brahma 12" sub that was replaced with an Ascendant Audio Avalanche 12" sub in my car. I'll be using the Brahma 12 as my HT sub and I was wondering if the Nady XA-1100 amp would go well with it along with a HT reciever. Is there a benefit to using a pro amp such as the Nady over a plate amp at parts express? How would I go about connecting the Nady to my HT reciever? Would I get a RCA -> 1/8" or 1/4" cable so that it goes from my sub preamp output to the 1/4" input of the amp?
  • wildfire99
    • Aug 2005

The benefit for me is that I have a rack mount component, and nothing sticking out the side of the sub box. That means the box is easier to build, easier to brace, is upgradeable on the amp end without a lot of hassle, and is easier to move around without sharp edges looking to scratch anything nearby.

The downside is that the pro amp has fans, which can be noisy when things are quiet. I remain absolutely impressed by the build quality (at least according to my superficial observations) of the two Nadys I have (900 and 2100), especially for the price.

Hookup is easiest via RCA->1/4" plug, unless you're lucky enough to have an XLR output on the preamp. I bought a couple of the cheap Hoya stereo RCA->1/4" cables along with the amp (3 foot for like $3). They ARE cheap, I broke one already, but they do the job as long as you don't use them for jump rope like I do.
    - Patrick
    "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• abcheng
      • Dec 2005

So the only thing I'm gonna lose over going with a pro amp over a plate amp is a crossover, although my HT reciever has one which should be no problem. As for the cables, where did you pick them up from? Is there anything else I should be aware of before I order one?

Comment

• abcheng
        • Dec 2005

anyone have anything against this amp before I order it tonight?

Comment

• Snap
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by abcheng
          anyone have anything against this amp before I order it tonight?
          yeah don't do it

Nandy and Peavey are known in the Pro Audio circles as.......well I have never liked Nandy or Peavey. If you are going to get a Pro Amp, that is cool. People do it all the time. I would look at QSC, Crown before I got a Nady. I would get a Peavey amp before I got a Nandy.

Sorry for the short answer on this, but I do not have a lot of time to explain. Lets just say I think that they sound Muddy, and the power ratings I think are a straight LIE :M

I have used a 400 watt QSC that smoked the doors of a much much higher watt Peavey. But that is my .02 cents on the matter.
          The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• abcheng
            • Dec 2005

so basically i'm better off with a plate amp right?

Comment

• Snap
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2005

no I was just answering the question about the Nady. Your Receiver can be used for the x over that is no problem. I just would not get a Nady amp. You can find some really nice used QSC amps. or even brand new amps that are very nicely priced. Shop around and check out other pro amps that are better. Like I said...QSC, Crown. Sweetwater.com is a good place to get pro amps from. Or musicians friend has good pricing.

Comment

• abcheng
                • Dec 2005

I would like to get a very nice pro amp, but my budget is up to $150 or so which is how much the Nady is going for. Unless I can get a Crown, QSC or nicer model for around $150, but that's not going to happen.

Comment

• Snap
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2005

I would hold off then and save up.

"The pain of poor quaility last longer than the joy of low prices"

Unless you get a used amp you are not going to get a QSC or Crown for that price. So save up a few months, and get you something that you will enjoy for a long time. It will not be long after having that Nady that you are going to be wanting to get another amp. At least that is my take on the matter.

Comment

• abcheng
                    • Dec 2005

So even for a sub, a pro amp is really that much better than a plate amp? The thing is I'm just trying to bulid a HT system on a budget of around $500 w/o the brahma 12 priced in. I was thinking about building DIY center, fronts, and rears, or going with a set of Athena B.1s, C.1s, and some rears from them. Either way, the speakers will probably end up costing $300 or so, which gives me about $200 to play with for the amp. If I was to buy a nice pro amp however, I'd be looking to spend at least $500 correct? If so, I don't think I'm gonna be able to get one. Correct me if I'm wrong but, I was under the impression that amps for subs do not matter as much when compared to amps for the main speakers since subs only recieve lower frequencies, making THD, and other factors of the amp less important.

Comment

• Snap
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Feb 2005

To be honest with you I would buy one piece at a time. You will be more happy with it in the long run. Seriously.....save up and spend 6-700 on a good set of speakers. when you get the money buy you a 300 receiver. RX-V457 or a Denon Pioneer something good around 300 bucks. Then later get you a DVD player ect. That is the best way to do a HT on a budget. Most of us do the same thing but with $$$$$ stuff. 2K on speakers. Wait a few months......1K on a receiver.....that is the best way to do a HT IMHO.

Good luck

Comment

• abcheng
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Snap
                        To be honest with you I would buy one piece at a time. You will be more happy with it in the long run. Seriously.....save up and spend 6-700 on a good set of speakers. when you get the money buy you a 300 receiver. RX-V457 or a Denon Pioneer something good around 300 bucks. Then later get you a DVD player ect. That is the best way to do a HT on a budget. Most of us do the same thing but with $$$$$ stuff. 2K on speakers. Wait a few months......1K on a receiver.....that is the best way to do a HT IMHO.

Good luck
                        I already have a HT reciever . It's a Pioneer VSX-D509S which I got a few years ago. I know it's not that great, but I got it a few years ago, and it's good enough for me. So right now, I'm starting out with what I have and I'm building up from there.

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

yeah don't do it
                          Well I'll offer a differing opinion......

People have been using the Nady XA900/1100 for quite a few years in their home subs, and no one has ever reported a problem.

Like Behringer, the Nady's certainly aren't "real" pro-sound amps like QSC or Crown. But for home use they work fine. They're certainly much better than any $150 plate amp.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• abcheng
                            • Dec 2005

That's what I wanted to hear . All I'm looking for is something nice that doesn't necessarily have to be pro to power my sub. I agree with what Snap has to say, do it right in the first place instead of spending more money (which is probably going to happen no matter what), but I don't need an awesome amp. I just want a nicely priced good amp, more like a bang for the buck amp that'll work for my Brahma 12.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"