Too many options, head spinning. (pre & amp)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Markmm
    • Nov 2005

Too many options, head spinning. (pre & amp)

So I'd like to upgrade the system I've had for 10+ years. Doing it piece by piece. I'd like to start with the Pre-amp Amp. Price range is $2-3k. First decision is new or used. If I go new, in that price range I'm looking at either Outlaw 990 combo or Rotel 1068 & 1095. If I go used, the options are mind bogling. My only experience with high end equipment is my uncle's Classe system. I've seens used SSP (25, 30mk II, 60, etc) and various amps used on Audiogon for about my price range. System will be 90% movies. With Technology changes, would I be better with something new or something that 2-5 years ago was expensive?

Thanks! ;x(
  • BryanZ
    • Dec 2005

IMO, things seem to have settled down for a little while. What you need to decide is which options are optimal for you. IE, a receiver or preamp may have a massive amount of DSP modes but how many of those are you actually going to use? Another thing to consider is going with a used (2 years or less) receiver with preouts and getting a new five or seven channel amp.

One thing you may consider doing is going with the upcoming Emotiva Ultra-Lite combo for $998 plus shipping and upgrading another component of your system, such as the subwoofer. Here is the link to the Emotiva Ultra-Lite: http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=30.1

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

The other issue with older pre/pros is 5.1 vs. 7.1 and video switching. For example, I have a Classe SSP25. I'm very happy with it, but it is only 5.1 and does not support component video. I am not interested in 7.1 and the video issue does not bother me, so it works well.

If either of those things are issues for you, it may be necessary to look a little newer.
      Danish

Comment

• Daryl Furkalo
        • Feb 2002

I have a Lex MC1 that audio wise I am very happy with. Unfortunately it does not do component video switching which has become a bit of a problem. Also there are no multi-channel inputs for DVD-A or SACD if that is important to you. You only got ProLogic with an MC1, but Logic7 more than makes up for that. It depends what features you feel you need to have, but my experience with an older high end processor has been great.

Comment

• Markmm
          • Nov 2005

Thanks for the info. The Emotiva looks almost too cheap? I think I would rather have 200wpc instead of 125. I'd rather add channels if need be rather than having to start all over to get higher watts. Don't care all that much about features or video switching. DVD is using the DVI input, and I have 3 component inputs left to use. Basically the processor will be spending 90% of the time on Dobly Digital, and DTS. I don't care about making CD's sound like they're in a church or parking garage. Auto setup would be nice though.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"