X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deepH20
    • Sep 2004

Surround options for 804's, HTM1

Hi guys:

I have some 804's and a HTM1. I'm considering my options for some surrounds. I plan on 5.1 only, and the speakers will need to be mounted high due to a doorway and a window for proper location, even if I go dipole.

Has anyone tried any brands other than B&W for their surrounds? I'm not crazy about their current options. I'd prefer used (tight budget) and am watching for some SCM8's as a possible solution. I'm not sure if I want to go dipole or not though. I considered just getting a pair of 601's.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

I have 804's and an htm1. I am currently using 603's as surrounds. To be honest, they don't match up well but they get the job done. I recently heard SCM1's with a pair of 803's and thought they sounded perfect.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• junior77blue
      • Nov 2004

I'm debating whether to use 600s3 or 705s or purchase another set of 804s. I could then use the 705s in a stereo only setup where they will see much more use of their capability. IMHO, overkill for just movies...

Ideally, not considering money...I would love another set of 804s to match my main speakers. But, spending ~$2500 for surround speakers seems a bit overkill to me.

The 600s maybe 'good' enough for surround sound, but not the case with SACD or DVD-A.

Decisions....decisions....damn, those stands get heavy once you put lead shot in them!!

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

I would recommend the 705's over the 600's for rears. I can tell a difference. Its like a bad echo...

Comment

• junior77blue
          • Nov 2004

Bad echo...totally agree with you on any SACD listening. But haven't done much with movies to see how tolerable it would be.

How would 804s sound for movies? Obvsiouly, great sounding but more importantly is the location of the speakers. Since they would be on the ground and not located 'above' me will that take away from the 'ambience' of rear surround?

The 600s would be on nice 36" stands...so they are somewhat elevated.

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

The 804's sound great for movies, especially after adding the sub. The only complaint I have at this point about them is that the tribute to george dvd can push them during the ravi shankar tribute section. that is about the only thing i have heard put them to any real task.

My feeling about 600's or whatever in the rear should be understood when I post about myself upgrading to SCM1's. If I didn't think I needed to spend the money, I wouldn't. They are tolerable and add surround, but like I said, sound like a bad echo.

Comment

• junior77blue
              • Nov 2004

Hate to sound ignorant...but what is the Tribute to George DVD?

So, what is your opinion for 804s for rear channel? Overkill?

Comment

• DrBoom
                • Dec 2003

I don't think it's overkill, it's just an expensive option.
                If you can spare the cash then do it, if not go for 805's or SCM1's at least.
                I would never mix different speakers out of such different price classes.
                The rear channels are still being treated as inferior and not important by many people, but they are full range channels as well and are of the same soundquality as the other channels.
                Not like in the old Pro Logic days when surrounds were limited to 8 KHz and were mono.
                I have seen people use 803's as rears with 802 fronts, so why would 804's be overkill ?

Comment

• junior77blue
                  • Nov 2004

I was thinking about doing 803s as fronts and 804s as rears...or just 804s all the way around.

805s with stands do not seem to be worth the money. Its the same floorspace as the 804s....and the 804s are much better speaker for the dollar...IMO.

I'm guessing you might still want to still crossover the signal ~40Hz....or possibly play them as LARGE speakers with no high pass crossover.

To your comment about full range, agreed but how often are they used for full range? Specifically for movies?

Comment

• sikoniko
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

Heh. That is my exact thought on the 804's vs. 805's as main speakers! I found that my 804's like to be set at the THX recommended setting of 80Hz on the crossover and large. I can't explain why, but they just seemed to sound better that way.

Comment

• DrBoom
                      • Dec 2003

About the fullrange, I don't even run my 804's full range so it's actually not that important.
                      I have them crossed over at 60 Hz, as well as my HTM2 and 805's.
                      40 Hz is too low for the 804 (even the 803), and especially for the HTM2 and 805's.
                      And I don't want to use them fullrange at all for movies, too scared of blowing one up. :roll: (e.g. Finding Nemo fishtank scene)
                      But the sonic signature of a 600 series is nothing like that of the 800 series, so I wouldn't mix those no matter what.
                      You're right about the 804 being a better speaker than the 805 but it is €1000 more expensive than the 805 + stands.
                      I had my 804's and 805's side by side for comparison a few weeks back, and the difference is pretty big.

Comment

• junior77blue
                        • Nov 2004

I'm currently running my 804s full range with sub B&W700....sub has a low pass @ 45Hz.

My sub always plays even in stereo since I have them hooked up to a seperate stereo preamp along with my fronts. Rears and centers I have the option of adding a hp crossover....either 40, 60, 80, or 100...

Hmm...I will need to play around with it to see what sounds better, but I don't feel a need to put a highpass filter in the loop....YET...

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"