Which sub do you use in your B&W Based System?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Which sub do you use in your B&W Based System?

<This poll has been expanded to include other popular sub systems. Votes prior to 04/12/05 7:30 AM EDT have been cleared, please vote again!>

Many B&W speaker owners of this forum highly regard the REL (ST series) subs. However, it seems that the B&W (800 series) subs are pretty good too but not quite as good as the REL (ST series). I wonder if part of this reasoning/observation has to do with the way each is made. The REL is a downward firing sub but the B&W is a forward firing sub. Still I am curious...
    REL
    12.73%
    B&W
    25.45%
    Velodyne
    32.73%
    SVS
    10.91%
    HSU
    3.64%
    Other
    14.55%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by RebelMan; 12 April 2005, 22:57 Tuesday. Reason: Reset votes due to new choices
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Are there no REL and B&W sub owners out there??? Are we just good on giving advice but not taking any? Hmm....

Comment

• roundmound
      • Sep 2004

Rebel,

Great question. I am in the market for a subwoofer to match 805Ss and find this to be a timely post. Perhaps you can expand the poll to include Velodyne, SVS and ACI. Sorry to be of no help with the question.

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

I am looking into this. I may need the help of one of the moderators or administrators to do this though.

Comment

• RACER4551
          • Apr 2004

I voted other but i do have a asw675 paired with my svspb2+.

Comment

• RobP
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Hey Rebel, I use a B&W ASW850. I listened to ALOT of subs before. I jumped on this one. I believe that it is the best sounding sub on the market.It was overpriced at a retail cost of $3000 though. But as with everything that I have, I didnt pay that price, I am in mine for around $1900 new with a warranty.
            Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• ekkoville
              • Aug 2004

I own a REL Strata, and I love it. One of the most musical subs I auditioned. It was more accurate to my ears than the Velodyne I brought home, or the Def Tech I paired it against. My only complaint was the wattage on the amp. It was a budget concern when I bought it and an upgraded REL is now in order.

Comment

• Murunga
                • Feb 2005

I have an IB.

Murunga

Comment

• jazznsoccer
                  • Apr 2004

I have an Earthquake SuperNova MKV 15 P (total <$1500). I'm happy with it. Now getting ready to try the BFD with it.

Comment

• tonych31
                    • Sep 2004

I have a REL Strata 3 with Rotel 1075 and 1068. I am always happy with it especially when it comes to concert music. Even in 2 channel mode it is excellent. Not too boomy. Just right.
                    It just needs a long time around 100 hrs before it performs its best.
                    For HT, maybe there are better sub out there that could really shake the room.
                    Just my opinion.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                      • May 2004

I have a SVS PB12plus/2 to go along with my 600s 5.1 setup. I'm in the process of moving down to So. California, so thinking about selling this monster for something smaller. Anyone have any suggestions for something smaller in size but fairly big on sound? Thanks.

Comment

• Kevin P
                        • Aug 2000

Ok, all votes have been reset, you can vote again!

I removed my vote since I don't have B&W ops: Don't want to skew the results

Comment

• dortiz
                          • Mar 2005

Velodyne DD-15!!!!

Comment

• Lewing
                            • Oct 2004

Velodyne DD-10
                            The EQ feature in the DD range Sub is simply excellent.
                            Live to Eat, Live to enjoy Music :T

http://community.webshots.com/user/lewing79

Comment

• Lex
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Apr 2001

Guys, in the future, ANY poll that is ran that is brand specific must be ran past management. I'm not going to have polls springing up all over that cover all sorts of products and brands. In fact, I'll be talking to my Associate as of now about this.

This really is not B & W specific either, and as such does not belong as part of Club B & W.
                              Doug
                              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• RebelMan
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

Actually Lex this is very much a B&W specific thread. It started out with just three choices REL, B&W or Other. My purpose was to see if most B&W owners of this forum use REL as much as they admire them. The intent was not to rate sub brands. There was intrest from other members to expand the choices to other popular brands rather than to lump them under just "Other". To accommodate these readers I asked for assistance from the moderator/administrator. The name of this thread states "B&W Based System". I believe a lot of readers are interested in this also. Please take this into consideration before making a decision.

Comment

• ti33er
                                  • Apr 2004

I must agree with the above statement (not about the Branding though - this is of course at Moderators discretion) ...for the record, I think that B&W + Richard E Lord's subwoofers are an excellent combination if I may say R...E...L
                                  "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• RebelMan
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

Hmm, I was hoping for more feedback than this. For what it's worth, before the additional choices and the counter reset, there were about 23 votes and of those about 25% were split between REL and B&W with the remainder going to "Other". I thought for sure there would be more REL and B&W sub system owners out there. There is nothing scientific about this poll but the trend surprises me.

Comment

• Mark_C.
                                      • Jan 2003

I use a REL Storm III in my two-channel system with Nautilus 804s. I use a Velodyne HGS-10 Series II in my HT with Nautilus 805s.
                                      Last edited by Mark_C.; 13 April 2005, 09:18 Wednesday.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Oct 2003

Rebelman,
                                        Hmm, I was hoping for more feedback than this.
                                        Just remember from our PMs:
                                        • B&Ws sub value equation varies from model to model (IMO) for example the ASW600 - not great value, ASW650 - much better, while the ASW850, 865 and 875 are outstanding. You need to advise as to your speakers (current or proposed) for people to give real advice
                                        • There are some other great subs out there - which (in the USA at least) are "value priced" compared to the B&W - e.g. SVS, HSU and Velodyne.
                                        • REL is harder to get outside the UK and more expensive (by comparison)
                                          and (most important of all) - Don't try and choose your sub by "Poll" choose it by listening and comparing.
                                        • Another good thread would be "Best Sub Match for my B&W XXX system

Geoff

Comment

• JCL
                                          • Apr 2005

We have got a 602 + REL Strata setup here. Sounds great! Gives you a great kick in the but even in a 20M2 room in a house made of mostly wood.

Comment

• Jeff
                                            • Dec 2004

I use a Paradigm Reference Servo-15 with my N802's. Have no desire to upgrage even if I had an some extra cash for the cause.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
                                              Don't try and choose your sub by "Poll" choose it by listening and comparing.
                                              Agreed. However, being that this is a "B&W Club" and the input I am seeking is from B&W speaker owners, I can safely assume that we all like the B&W sound. Based on this I can also assume that chances are I will like the sound that others hear from their own sub systems that I do not have the opportunity of listening to.

I have listened to a REL (not sure which one) with 2CH sources and the B&W ASW825 in HT (but not the other way around). I liked them both. Both are priced about the same too. I want a sub that will perform well under both conditions. I prefer the asthetics of the B&W (800 series) over the REL (ST series) (by far).

I never considered SVS, Velodyne, etc. What is interesting to me is the populartrity of these other subs. I wonder if price was not an issue at the time of their purchase, would these same people have opted for the REL or B&W instead? Furthermore, I was under the impression that far more B&W owners "owned" a REL for as much as they are mentioned

My sytem would consist of the 803S's, HTM3S and SCMS's.

Comment

• springer49
                                                • Oct 2004

I couldn't pass up an almost new HSU VTF-MK3 for $600. I have listened to Velodyne, Paradigm,Carver Signature and while all sounded great they also cost at least 3 times the HSU. For now I am happy.

Comment

• jlee
                                                  • Aug 2004

Just a quick note on the resetting of the poll. I voted, it got reset, but now I can't revote! So my vote was not counted after the reset! Anyways, just for the record, I'm a REL guy all the way.

BTW, I think the B&W subs are nice, but a bit overpriced. Also, I think they only connect low level (from the preamp). The REL allows both hi and low simultaneously, so you can have it connected high for music (the high level preserves phase since it is getting the same signal as the speakers), and then low AND high for movies.

The B&W sub (850 or 875 I think?) is like getting a 15" driver similar to the 801 but you get flexible placement, which allows you more flexibility to place say an 804, 803, or even an 802 and get the deep bass of an 801. Personally, if I had an 804, or 803, and I wanted everything B&W, I would spend the "sub money" and get the 802 instead of a B&W sub. If I had an 802 or 800, then I guess the 15" B&W sub would be an option. If I had the 801, I probably wouldn't bother for pure music (only get the sub for movies). There is something special about having only 3 drivers, 1 for high, 1 for mid, and 1 for bass. To make up for the relative slowness of bigger heavier drivers, B&W has made it as light as possible and must have installed the most humongous magnet behind it for control. It is hard to produce certain bass sounds at the right loudness and impact. This is where the 801 stands out from the 804, 803, 802, even above the 800 in the deep bass "musicality and accuracy" department, which has twin 12" drivers. I think that is why the 801 seems to the choice of a lot of recording studios. The 800 is easier to place and is more suited for domestic use than the 801. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• rays
                                                    • Feb 2005

Just wonder why no much people talking about B&W PV-1. I think its stylish and designed with some advanced thought. Its been released for awhile, I wonder if anyone could give a better review on it after its break-in.

I have searched forums and find few reports on it. And too bad that I have no luck to listen to it personally so far..(usually the setup is matched with 800, 850, or 750 in some hifi show...is it really that bad??). For its size, it should well fit into smaller living rooms with considering the 'wife acceptance' factor.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                                                      • May 2004

hey rays, I've actually heard it in the stores and was really impressed by the quantity and quality of bass it can handle from such a small enclosure. But the truth is, compared to my SVS PB12plus/2 where it's twin 12 in. woofers vs. dual 8 in. woofers, it's no contest. Not to mention that the PV1 actually would cost me almost 50% more than the PB12plus/2. I personally believe that people only get the PV1 when the WAF and room size constraints plays a really big role in the purchase, along with the flat panel line that B&W makes. It's a great design and concept, but the price vs. performance ratio isn't in its favor. Just my opinion.

Comment

• georgev
                                                        • Jul 2004

I use a pair of Paradigm Reference Servo 15's with my 802's. But mainly for movies.
                                                        I think they are awesome subs(bit large), and they don't tear a hole in the pocket.

Comment

• caleb
                                                          • Aug 2004

Hi George,
                                                          I used a servo 15 but decided to change to ASW850 because of WAF.
                                                          Must admit though - I didn't regret it.
                                                          BTW are you happy with the phase plugs - I found that they really do make an audible difference and are a good "Value for Money" upgrade.

Comment

• junior77blue
                                                            • Nov 2004

Caleb, what is it about the ASW850 that is better than the servo 15? What comparison can you share with us?

Comment

• caleb
                                                              • Aug 2004

Number 1 improvement is the lack of moaning from the wife about "that big black box".

The 850 fits in much better with my 802's, and during a sliding tone test from 200Hz down to 20Hz there is a much smoother transition from 802 to 850.

Not very technical I am afraid but my description describes what I hear.

Comment

• Bandwagoner
                                                                • Oct 2004

Hehe, just copy/paste post from Oct/04.

I 2nd the SVS woofers. They are simply awesome. I was an early adopter. Bought my dual 20-39cs+ the first year they were in business. Then i upgraded to dual 16-46cs+ and still have them to this day. I live in Canada and shipping + taxes + UPS bogus charges arent cheap but i wont hesitate to buy from them again. Actually ive been drooling about dual PB12 Plus. SVS just added a sub in the $400US range(PB10-ISD). Its bass response is ruler flat from 20hz - 150hz ground plane. Prolly can play down to 16hz with room gain. Just unbelievable. I used to own B&W ASW1000 before I got my SVS's. They are that good.

Cheers,
                                                                jer

Comment

• georgev
                                                                  • Jul 2004

Caleb,
                                                                  Could you expand a wee further in terms of the differences you heard from the 850 to the servo 15? I haven't actually auditioned the 850 as I have not felt any sort of lack.
                                                                  Because now you have me "thinking". And I should not.
                                                                  Don't you just hate this bug!
                                                                  In terms of placement I just plonked them both on either side of my rack behind my 802's and it worked beautifully.
                                                                  Cheers.

Comment

• caleb
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2004

Yes George, saw your setup on the forum- looks awesome.

Comment

• Stockinv
                                                                      • Jan 2005

Anyone have the ASW-750?

Comment

• Woo Wooooo
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • May 2004

I have a ASW-750 paired with my CM6, CMC, and 2 pairs of Cm2's
                                                                        I love it!!!!! may think anout the 875 when it comes out :B

Comment

• Ash
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Dec 2004

I have the ASW 1000, with N805, HTM2 and 705 surrounds. I'm not very happy with the sub, because its not very musical. It is boomy and out of control. I tried moving them around and playing with the setting. I gave up, I have the setting on very low bass, to avoid excessive bass. I will definatly replace them with a better sub (ASW750 or maybe ASW825) after I replace my current pethetic amp ($350 pioneer receiver). I just have to recover from the speakers first hehehe, (one step at a time).

Comment

Working...
                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                          Search Result for "|||"