X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • poneal
    • Apr 2024

Good receiver....

I've had it! My HK AVR 320 is on the blink after only 3 years. This is just ridiculous. My older Kenwood integrated amp latest well over 15 years. This just absolutely amazes me that an older piece of gear outlasts the newer technological stuff. Anyway, enough of that rant. I need a decent mid-fi receiver that will last the test of time. At least 10 years. Need a good healthy 80wpc and 4ohm stable and one that can take dips into the 3.5ohm range. Any recommendations.
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

They really don't make them like the used to. I would assume a midfi budget is <$1200? Arcam is really popular in the $1k-$2k range and have been known to be fairly reliable lately. If you are talking <$1k then its a crapshoot. HK which i know you are probably a bit against at the moment does tend to rate their amps correctly, the rest won't have the dynamic power the HK will. The 635 even with its bugs is considered by many to be stout. The Pioneer Elite Line is also very nice. The 56txi is pretty outstanding for the money. This was before Pioneer went with their new amps and stayed with their mosfet designs. The receiver is a year old so you should be able to find one cheap.

Comment

• RobP
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

I own the Rotel RSX1065 which I really like, it is built like a tank and has a really nice sound to it, you can pick them up pre-owned for around $1400, New they are $2k. You may also want to check out Outlaw Audio.
      Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

I would have to second SG's Rotel recommendation. I have the RSX-1056 and is priced even less and can deliver 100 wpc into 8 ohms (2 channels) and will handle 4 ohm loads up to 180 wpc. I have driven my 803S's (which dip to 3.0 ohms) without any problems. However, I wouldn't recommend too much of that driving force, if you value your speakers. I (temporarily) pushed it up to 72-76 on the dial and that was plenty for me.

By the way, the RSX-1056 beat out both Arcam and HK receivers in one head to head test. Unfortuantely, Rotel had a string of PQ issues with the RSX-1056 which have been largely addressed. Musically speaking Rotel is way up there, reliablity wise... well, it is much better now but it shouldn't go without saying that they had some problems. Personally my system has been pretty solid.
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• poneal

Geez it really is irritating....

I mean it's like everything they make nowadays is meant to be disposable. I for one don't like to throw things away shortly after I buy it. If I'm going to spend $1000, I expect it to last for awhile (more than 3 years). I think BIC lighters started the whole thing with those disposable butane lighters. What about the Marantz? Are they in the same disposable mode as most manufacturers. I mean if that's the case then I'll just stick with stereo listening and build a chip-amp for crying out loud. As you can see this AVR-HT thing has me bummed out. If they can't make a receiver that lasts for a decade then I just will not buy into it. Stereo has been good to me over the years but about 3 years ago I decided to go the HT route to see what all the fuss was over. Now that I've been biten, I may just go back to stereo and forget the whole thing. It's not like I watch a lot of movies anyways. I did enjoy watching the DTS concerts on DVD though. Well, thats my rant. Time to go do a writeup over on the AudioReview.com and voice my concerns so that everyone knows what the deal is at least with HK receviers. Cheers, Paul

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

You could also dive in to the spererates route. Most of the mid/high-end companies offer longer warranties.( Rotel's is 5 years, Bryston has 20 year warranties! 8O ...for example ) Plus, if and when you do decide to upgrade the processor, you can still use your existing amp saving money when you upgrade :T
            Jason

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Like aud19 say's, if you want that kind of robustness then high end separates are the way to go. To bad Bryston doesn't make receivers but they do make integrated amplifiers that might fit your requirements. Although, you might need to stretch your buget to buy one, you get the BEST warranty in the business and reliablity that is second to none.
              "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Shane Martin
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2001

What about the Marantz?
                You barely if ever hear about issues on Marantz products. They had some dropout issues but I haven't heard the newest models have that issue.

I'd buy one now if they had a better auto room eq and hdmi. I figure they'll update their next generation of receivers with that and my issues with Marantz will go away.

Their amp section is rock solid.

Comment

• Rolyasm
                  • Dec 2004

Have you heard of Sherwood Newcastle? They make a great product and are reasonably priced if you can find a dealer. For about $1,000 you can get a great amp with a nice remote and auto setup. I just heard one of these receivers and it was very nice. Here is a site for one of their products.

I hear a lot about Outlaw also. Don't know their products. The Denon 3805 is a good product and is discounted most places. I like the sound of Denon. Some don't.
                  Roly

Comment

• june
                    • Feb 2005

Hello,

Don't forget about Yamaha's RXV-2500. It was $1000 but it down around $700 in the Philly area. (Tweeter). My neighbor's son plays on the the
                    "E-A-G-L-E-S" practice squad. And has a few $$. After listening to different recievers, he bought the RXV-2500 with Paragidm Ref. Studio 100s.

junr
                    June
                    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• Azeke
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2003

You have some very good recommendations here. Depending on your budget, I would also go separates, which allows a greater amount of flexibility as previously noted. Receivers are what I consider all in one boxes, (tuner, amps, etc.), and are in most cases considered more economically feasible. However, separates require a little more patience and money, but are much more enjoyable. That is just my humble opinion, coming from receivers myself and going the separates route. Once you go separates you won't look back.

Just listen to both receivers and separates within you budget, be sure to match everything as closely as possible to your own equipment. We can provide opinions here, but remember, the true test is relative to your own personal preference.

Also just a separate note, your speakers are the foundation of your system, be sure that your receiver/separates are an acoustical match for your speakers. YMMV.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Azeke

Comment

• SRX04
                        • Oct 2005

Poneal,

I sent you a PM. HK should and will fix your reciever. Just out of curiousity did you have it ventilated properly?

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"