X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • numberoneoppa
    • Sep 2009

Nakamichi Receiver 1 "too loud"

Hey everybody, I was given a Nakamichi Receiver 1 by a friend to test out before I built him some speakers, but the receiver is just too powerful I fear.

It's rated at 80WPC, and I've tested it on my main speakers, the North Seas (8" 2-way) that I built a little while back, and with the volume under 8:00 on the dial, they're already loud. The problem is that the speakers I plan on building for my friend are just as, if not more, sensitive as my speakers (I plan on building the tritrix). I can't find a low-level switch like my NAD has for this type of situation so I'm not sure what to do.

I'm thinking of possibly using a resistor between the pre-out and the main-in on the back. Any advice?
    -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.
  • Biff
    • Jul 2006

?

Double check your inputs, something is wacked! I have had a couple of Nak Pre's and played with a big honking receiver back when and one of the things I appreciated was the nicely progressive controls where everything up to around 3 o'clock was more of a fine adjustment than most. Many control systems seem to be wide open at 1, and murmuring at 11 and my Naks were very easy to use and didn't allow overdriving (it seemed) at all. OTOH, most receivers we used to sell became painful at 10 or 11 if your speakers were 88db or better, but that impresses the casual buyers (just think how loud it'll get at home!). Very "un-nak" behavior.

Comment

• numberoneoppa
      • Sep 2009

I was using the built in tuner at the time I tested it, didn't get a chance to try any other sources.

-Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"