X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • june
    • Feb 2005

Blue Ray Demo!

Hello All,

We just got back from the "Sony Blue Ray / SXRD" demo in Philly.

PROS: Absolutely stunning picture!!!!
    50':$4000 / 60': $5000
    DVD player is backwards compatiable.

CONS: The new sound "may" not be backward's compatiable!!
    The salesman could not show us what a standard DVD looks like on the new SXRD TV.
    The Japaness player could only play the demo disc.
    No price for the NTSC model.
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

CONS: The new sound "may" not be backward's compatiable!!
    According to Dolby and DTS it is.

Comment

• june
      • Feb 2005

Hello S. Martin,

What about the 3 new sounds?

(Hopefully these are the names of the new sounds)

Dolby Digital-HD
      DTS-HD
      Dolby-TureHD
      June
      "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

Dolby Digital HD and Dolby True HD are the same thing but they changed names.
        DTS HD is DTS's new format.

They both have said they are backwards compatible but you won't get the true advantage of these formats. You'll be getting DD and DTS as we know it. These formats are lossless and better sounding(supposedly) and you won't get those w/o an HDMI receiver or the use of the analog outs on the blu ray player. That is what they are telling us now atleast..No optical or coaxial digital for the future.

Comment

• Tha Freak
          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Shane Martin

...and you won't get those w/o an HDMI receiver or the use of the analog outs on the blu ray player...

meaning that I could use the "analog inputs" (originaly for SACD or DVD-A) from my RSX-1055 to connect a blu-ray HD player and connect the HDMI into a HD Display to benefit the HD format ???

That would be quite cool...

Do I get that part right ?
          - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Tha Freak
            meaning that I could use the "analog inputs" (originaly for SACD or DVD-A) from my RSX-1055 to connect a blu-ray HD player and connect the HDMI into a HD Display to benefit the HD format ???

That would be quite cool...

Do I get that part right ?
            That would be my guess... but who knows...? :lol:
            Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2001

Correcto. that would be essentially using the blu ray player as your decoder.

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

I guess that would be the better route for anybody without HDMI...? Still get the improved resolution etc... Pretty funny though that we're moving "backwards" on the connections in that regard :lol:
                Jason

Comment

• Nolan B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by aud19
                  I guess that would be the better route for anybody without HDMI...? Still get the improved resolution etc... Pretty funny though that we're moving "backwards" on the connections in that regard :lol:

boy...if that isnt a plan to make money down the line with new transport options I dont know what is. Looks like we will all be buying many versions of what ever new player comes out.

Comment

• Shane Martin
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Apr 2001

boy...if that isnt a plan to make money down the line with new transport options I dont know what is. Looks like we will all be buying many versions of what ever new player comes out.
                    Not really as we just need to replace our processors.
                    Still get the improved resolution etc..
                    Audio wise yes, video wise you would need HDMI. If you want HD via component on HD DVD/Blu Ray just forget it.

Comment

• marshahu_cr
                      • Aug 2003

So how long will it be until we get Receivers that can decode these new formats like Dolby Digital HD, Pure HD and DTS HD? Also what will the difference be? Now I am considering upgrading my receiver to one with HDMI inputs so I am ready for Sky HD next year and for when I get my new HDMI TV

Also, will these formats be in 6.1/7.1 after all this time or will it just be another 5.1 format relying on an Extended Surround algorithm to expand the sountrack to 6.1/7.1???

It's interesting to see how live TV broadcasts are always one format behind pre recorded discs (e.g. DVD had Dolby Digital while live TV was merely Nicam Stereo/Dolby Pro Logic, now live TV broadcasts are in Dolby Digital 5.1 and now the pre recorded discs like Blu Ray and HD DVD are in Dolby Digital HD or Dolby True HD)

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"