X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

John Wick on Blu Ray with Dolby Atmos

If you haven't heard about this one yet in the HT community, stop and pay attention.

The film itself is a check-your-brain-at-the-door, guys' night out, shoot 'em up action film. Keanu Reeves actually does a very decent job as the title character super killer, maybe the most convincing of his career in such a role. The movie is arguable in its story quality, but the action is pretty good. Actually some very good gunfighting action.

But this movie is a MUST WATCH in a good home theater for its audio track. One of the few films so far that has been encoded with Dolby Atmos on Blu Ray, and the consensus is that it's the best of the bunch. For those unaware, Dolby Atmos is a new object-based sound encoding that precisely places a sound at the location the sound engineer wants it to be in your theater. Not channel-based. It's embedded into the Dolby TruHD track, so those with new Dolby Atmos receivers can take advantage of the encoding, while those still without Atmos can still get lossless HD audio. Dolby Atmos can add extra speakers, including extra width channels, height channels, and ceiling speakers, as well as up-firing Dolby Atmos-designed speakers that reflect sound off the ceiling.

I just got a new Atmos processor (Marantz AV7702) but haven't added ceiling speakers yet, so I'm still running a 7.1 setup, and not yet taking advantage of the 3D soundfield that Atmos can create. But even still, the sound was EXCEPTIONAL. I have never heard such a detailed and precised sounding movie before--anywhere. It's like the movie was made to show off Atmos, with the rain, big block muscle cars, ricochet gunshots, breaking glass, thumping music and LFE effects, etc.

I have great sounding demo material for my theater that show off different things like surround effects and super low, strong bass. But this movie by far is now my #1 demo material for sound clarity and precision, even before I expand it into 3D sound with Atmos ceiling speakers.

You may nor may not like the movie itself. Some of the violence is rather strong. But I think everyone needs to try this one out for the sound, regardless of what setup and equipment you actually have. I think you'll thank me for demo-ing the sound. :35: out of :5: for the movie itself. No question, the sound quality and features on this one are a solid :5: out of :5: I rented from Blockbuster, but will be purchasing this one right away.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Blockbuster is still alive?!

While Atmos is not in my future (drop ceiling tiles are bad for holding speakers and for using the up firing type), I do appreciate a good demo quality sound track for a movie. Have to check this one out at some point.

Comment

• yummyyumi
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Chris D
      If you haven't heard about this one yet in the HT community, stop and pay attention.

The film itself is a check-your-brain-at-the-door, guys' night out, shoot 'em up action film. Keanu Reeves actually does a very decent job as the title character super killer, maybe the most convincing of his career in such a role. The movie is arguable in its story quality, but the action is pretty good. Actually some very good gunfighting action.

But this movie is a MUST WATCH in a good home theater for its audio track. One of the few films so far that has been encoded with Dolby Atmos on Blu Ray, and the consensus is that it's the best of the bunch. For those unaware, Dolby Atmos is a new object-based sound encoding that precisely places a sound at the location the sound engineer wants it to be in your theater. Not channel-based. It's embedded into the Dolby TruHD track, so those with new Dolby Atmos receivers can take advantage of the encoding, while those still without Atmos can still get lossless HD audio. Dolby Atmos can add extra speakers, including extra width channels, height channels, and ceiling speakers, as well as up-firing Dolby Atmos-designed speakers that reflect sound off the ceiling.

I just got a new Atmos processor (Marantz AV7702) but haven't added ceiling speakers yet, so I'm still running a 7.1 setup, and not yet taking advantage of the 3D soundfield that Atmos can create. But even still, the sound was EXCEPTIONAL. I have never heard such a detailed and precised sounding movie before--anywhere. It's like the movie was made to show off Atmos, with the rain, big block muscle cars, ricochet gunshots, breaking glass, thumping music and LFE effects, etc.

I have great sounding demo material for my theater that show off different things like surround effects and super low, strong bass. But this movie by far is now my #1 demo material for sound clarity and precision, even before I expand it into 3D sound with Atmos ceiling speakers.

You may nor may not like the movie itself. Some of the violence is rather strong. But I think everyone needs to try this one out for the sound, regardless of what setup and equipment you actually have. I think you'll thank me for demo-ing the sound. :35: out of :5: for the movie itself. No question, the sound quality and features on this one are a solid :5: out of :5: I rented from Blockbuster, but will be purchasing this one right away.
      Totally agreed that the movie is 3 out of 5 pop corn...

The music is awesome and I'm not using the Atmos yet, only 7.1.

The effect is really good...

Yummy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

John Wick

In the mood for a modern take on the "Charles Bronson revenge flick" formula (in broad strokes--I don't want to overdraw the analogy)? This is the movie for you. When you've had that kind of day and you're looking for a vicarious way to blow off steam, this will do.

First Atmos soundtrack I've played in my system. Gave something the fits (either my Oppo BDP 83 or my Yamaha RX-A1000). I suspect the AVR as I was bit-streaming from the Oppo, so any issue with the CODEC should be at the decoding end. Kept having audio drop outs. Seemed to cure them when I engaged the "Standard" setting on my AVR (a very mild DSP setting--but any DSP on a lossless MCH soundtrack on Blu ray, when bit-streaming, causes it to revert to the lossy "core". Will have to try decoding in the Oppo, but it's as old, if not older, than my AVR, so I'm not holding my breath. I'm not in the market for any new gear anytime soon so I may be forced into lossy listening for Atmos discs (no separate non-Atmos lossless track available if I understand Atmos correctly).

Oh well. A first world problem of course. I will keep experimenting.

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

I watched a series of Atmos encoded discs the other day in standard Dolby Digital 5.1 with no issues. I think you are correct not to use DSP when watching anything encoded in surround sound. That's an entirely different set of digital processing and the amp probably can't do both at the same time. I would only use DSP for 2ch stuff.

A good example is my Rotel decoding HDCD's. It can only do that in 2ch stereo. If I ask the Rotel to DSP it into 5 channel stereo, I immediately lose the HDCD decoding. It's one or the other but not both.
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

With my current settings, the only way to get standard Dolby Digital (as opposed to TrueHD) from an Atmos disc is to to apply the slight DSP I mentioned. I've never had trouble with TrueHD from a non Atmos disc, so my guess is the unpacking of the Atmos signal from the TrueHD is causing the problem--even though it shouldn't. Or maybe it's the disc. I'll have to try another to be certain.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Yeah, good stuff. See my previous review here: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...th-Dolby-Atmos

Just like previous audio formats, Dolby Atmos is backwards compatible, so if you have a non-Atmos receiver, it will show up as Dolby TruHD. (or if you have a legacy receiver, it will show up as Dolby Digital) Not sure why the system was having audio drop outs, but that must have been frustrating.

I'll just say, Atmos is definitely worth upgrading for! And now DTS:X is out too!
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Face
                • Mar 2007

Was the title edited? Doing so erased my long reply.
                SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

The threads were merged but it happened nearly 3 hours before your most recent post. It should not have affected your post as there was no activity in the threads when they were merged. I apologize if there was a problem but there was nothing to indicate that one might occur.

Comment

• Ovation
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Did some digging. Turns out older Oppo players (pre 103/105) are incompatible with seamless branching discs that have Dolby TrueHD (including Atmos and, in particular, the John Wick disc). The solution is to not bitstream (I only turned on bitstream to try it and forgot to switch back to PCM output--will fix that next time I fire up the system). Good news, no need to change any gear for now. Bad news, will need to upgrade the Oppo along with the AVR if I ever go Atmos (or add a cheap player just for Atmos). Most likely scenario will be a full 4K/Atmos upgrade--but that'll be quite a while. Perhaps 8K will be the norm by then (I have three sets of university tuition to plan for--mine right now for the PhD and my kids about the time I finish).

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"