X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rolyasm
    • Dec 2004

SPL with this??

I just bought an SPL meter. I have had the Stereophile CD for awhile but am not sure if it will work. It has a bunch of music but it also has varying frequencies at 20DdB. For instance:
    Track 4- 200Hz 1 3 Octave warble tone at 20 dB
    Track 5- 160Hz 1 3 Octave warble tone at 20dB
    this continues to track14 which is
    Track 14- 20Hz 1 3 Octave warble tone at 20dB
    Also a test tone that I don't know stats about and some white noise.
    What frequeny and dB level do test CD's use. Can I use any of these? All of these? Sorry, I got the CD off Ebay and there are no instructions with it. If this doesn't work I will buy one. AVIA or Digital Video Essentials? What are pro's and con's of each? Also, if I can use this CD, will someone just give me a quick low-down on the procedure. I understand most of it, just not sure where to put my volume knob (negative dB Denon). I tried playing around with some test tone, sounded like a higher pitched humm. I had my SPL at 70 (radio shack) and my center put the needle right at zero at about -10dB on the master volume. The sound was coming from all front speakers, so I turned the channel dB level down on Fl, Fr so only sound was coming from center. Next I turned the center to -12 dB and turned up the Fl to 0 dB, but now the needle barely reads, even with the master volume at 0. Should I just keep turning up the volume until the SPL hits zero, even though I never listen to my speakers at more than about -15dB. Sorry this is so long. Thanks
    Roly
  • MDJones
    • Sep 2005

I'm not sure which speakers you are trying to calibrate, but the sub is usually the most difficult. There are a lot of good subwoofer calibration guides on the web, one of them being this one, taken from this discussion on avs forum. I would imagine your denon reciever would have test tones built in for calibrating the rest of the speakers, and the procedure is most likely outlined in your receiver manual. Since the CD you have is only 20 dB and most systems are calibrated for either 75 dB or 85 dB (reference levels), the CD may not be helpful (although I am not positive). In any case, there are tone generators on the web that you can use to produce sine waves/sweeps at different frequencies, which you can then just burn to a CD/DVD.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"