X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KEN KAZ
    • Oct 2004

percieved SPL levels

is it just me, or does 70dB sound alot louder (when setting up a system) in pink noise through a regular speaker than it does through a sub?

i just got a new spl meter to verify, but to me anyways, 70 db through the test tone (sub) does not seem loud and through my reqular speakres it is loud.

maybe the higher frequencies are more anoying?> i think hearing loss occurs at higher frequencies, so this is not Led Zeppelin's fault!

kaz
  • Mark1Ace1
    • Jun 2005

You are doing just fine, as long as your sub gives out a 70db SPL to match your other speakers, there should not be any need to worry about which is louder. The higher frequencies always seem louder, whereas the low freequency output of your sub does not seem as loud....A sub should be felt rather than heard as they say...

Mark

Comment

• Stevebez
      • Oct 2003

Hearing sensitivity drops off rapidly as frequency drops toward 30-20hz ... approaches the physical/mechanical limits of the human ear as far as I can understand while I believe it is capable of hearing 20hz-20khz... not surprisingly thats the freq range of CD players ... although this is the range the sensitivity to the sub region is much lower. Also most animals (except an elephant can hear well i excess of 20kz - a Bat has a top end of up to 120khz...

Human dynamic range of hearing is 120db.

Rgds Steve.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"