X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kent Turb0
    • Jun 2005

Gallo Acoustic Micro Ti and Bose Acoustimass

Deleted
    Last edited by Kent Turb0; 16 June 2018, 21:11 Saturday.
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

I would say the Gallo's are the better speaker.

They actually list the frequency response as 100Hz to 22Khz.

Bose does not provide a frequency response, but I've heard it is from 200Hz to 16Khz.

What is your primary application? Do you require small speakers?
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Kent Turb0
      • Jun 2005

Deleted

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

We've used Gallo Micros in installs and they are definitely better than Bose Acoustimass (but then, what isn't? ) Their subwoofer puts out quite a punch for its size. They're great HT speakers, but I wouldn't recommend them for critical 2 channel music listening. If you're used to Bose, the Gallos will blow you away. If you're used to Martin Logan, you might not be so impressed with them.

The A'Diva Ti is larger, and with speakers, usually bigger means better, so I would say the A'Divas are superior sound wise to the Micros. I haven't heard them though, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Scriffer
          • Oct 2005

My parents have had the Gallo Micros for about 4 years run off an Onkyo Integra amp, and we love them. They put out great sound for a speaker their size and are infinitely better than Bose. They went a different direction on the sub though, and got an Aura 10" for a little more punch.

Good luck.

Comment

• Kent Turb0
            • Jun 2005

Deleted

Comment

• wildfire99
              • Aug 2005

If nothing else the markup on Bose is ridiculously high. I'd spend $99 on some Best Buy speakers before spending $400 on Bose.

I used to own an Acoustimass 10 system. I thought it was fantastic, and it was definately immersive with the dual-position cubes. The sub was lackluster but I quickly solved that with an Audiosource 15" from costco.

The Acoustimass system landed on E-Bay (where it fetched a retardedly high price) only a few months after I got it. Guess why. I purchased a pair of (Pioneer I think?) towers from Costco for $99. It was a "why not" kind of fun experiment buy. After hooking them up, and hearing sound I had never heard from the Bose, I realized the error of my ways. If I could do better for $99, then what the heck was I doing with this $800 system?

After that I sampled the Swans Diva towers (the big big ones), and liked it but found the mids too muddy for the price. Since I was prepared to chuck $1000+ at the system, but not at just the mains, I went DIY, and haven't looked back since.

Speaking of DIY... I would also strongly suggest looking at some of those Parts Express boxes and a kit to go in it. That's REAL bang-for-the-buck.
              - Patrick
              "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• Jack Keck
                • Jan 2005

Just to muddy the waters further, has anyone tried these?

Orb Audio Booster soundbars with dialogue boost enhance voice so you hear and understand more words on TV. Our home theater surround sound speakers bring your movies and music to life!
                Jack

"I walked in a lot of place that I never shoulda been, but I know that the Messiah, He will come again."

Roy Buchanan

Comment

• gd
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Jack Keck
                  Just to muddy the waters further, has anyone tried these? http://www.orbaudio.com/
                  Jeez, did the design patent for the Gallo spheres expire?

Haven't heard the Orb's but the Gallo spheres are very decent little speakers, at least in a small-ish room... you can do way better than their subs, however.

Kent Turb0 -- you might want to determine which is more important to you -- sound quality or room decor... it is extremely difficult to have both, even moreso if you're on a budget.

The one thing I'd really avoid is seeking the smallest possible speaker (unless decor is absolutely Priority #1)... they just can't fill a room with sound adequately.

The Gallo's really are very nice, and we all know to avoid Bose mini-systems... but if you do any music listening at all, you should take the time to audition speakers at local retailers... most manufacturers make satellite speakers with small footprints and nice finishes... a couple that I would recommend above the Gallo's are the Monitor Audio 'Radius' series, and the Totem Acoustic 'Dreamcatcher' system.

If decor really is the thing, you might look into in-walls or on-walls... and again, most speaker manufacturers offer these options.
                  greg (gd to you)
                  Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                  production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• mtw
                    • Oct 2004

About a month ago, I listened to some Tannoy Arenas and was impressed with their sound. They are small-ish, wall mountable, and have a modern look.

I also recently purchased for myself a pair of Totem Mites as my surrounds to go with the Totem Model 1 Sig fronts and center. My initial impression of them is very good and they haven't had a chance to break in yet. I am in love with the Model 1 Sigs. and have become a bit of a Totem acolyte. ;x(

Of course, one man's treasure is another man's trash. Try to take as much time as you can listening to as many different pairs of speakers as you can and go with your gut!

Comment

• Kent Turb0
                      • Jun 2005

Deleted
                      Last edited by Kent Turb0; 16 June 2018, 21:10 Saturday.

Comment

• P-Dub
                        Office Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

While you are at it, do check out the offerings from Energy, the Take and the Encore are compact but provide good sound as well.

The Totem's are really good, but do take some time to break in. So upon first listen if they don't sound that great, it could be just a new set on display.

How much is a Gallo system? I've always assumed they were in the higher end, like a bit more than a Bose.
                        Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• gd
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Kent Turb0
                          Does this mean that the subs for the Gallo are bad?
                          I did not like the performance of the ones I've auditioned (in-store)... they sounded 'flabby' with individual notes being indiscernible.

But that was also 2 generations back... perhaps they've improved since then.

In any case, high-performance subwoofers can be had for less money from dedicated online sub manfacturers such as SVS and Hsu... google 'em.
                          greg (gd to you)
                          Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                          production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Kent Turb0
                            • Jun 2005

Deleted
                            Last edited by Kent Turb0; 16 June 2018, 21:10 Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"