X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Bose clones cheap

Not that anyone here would be likely to want them, but this place (a division of Newark electronics) is selling cloens of the acoustimass cubes for $40 each. What is most amusing though, is they come right out and say the frequency response is 250-15K Hz, just like the real ones. They also come in white.

BB
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

Funny find.

The drivers don't look like the paper cones Bose uses though. So it wouldn't have that "Bose" sound.

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Doesn't radio shack sell a similar looking "speaker" as well?

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

(in best elitist voice) Oh puh-lease. If it's not 4 feet tall and weighs 100+ pounds, it's not a REAL speaker. Hmmmph.

(you know how stuffy these Aerial owners can be!) :B

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I'd agree David (all M8a owners do!)

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
            Doesn't radio shack sell a similar looking "speaker" as well?
            Radio Shack has sold the Miniumus Seven in a number of incarnations for almost 25 years. In its classic acoustic suspension form (up through about 1993), it was about the same size as the speakers at that URL (front baffle 7 inches by 4 inches or 17.78 cm by 10.16 cm) with a 4 inch low frequency driver with rubber surround and a 1 inch soft dome tweeter. The case was either black or white finished metal with a perforated aluminum grill.

Actually, they sounded pretty darned good. I had three of them in my system back in the days of Dolby Pro Logic, and they were probably over kill for that role. (Although they basically have "no bass", they have fairly respectable extension into the high frequency range, which was not needed for ProLogic.) It wasn't until I moved up to Dolby AC-3 (aka Dolby Digital 5.1) which needs full range speakers all around, that I felt a need to move up to more capable speakers for my surrounds and center.

The dealer who sold me the speakers I am now using for my surrounds (NOT a Radio Shlock salesman) said the Minimus 7s were the unheralded bargain of the hifi/HGT world and added that nothing in the speaker lines his store carried could touch them for anthing less than about five times what they cost. I still have mine and use them occasionally for various purposes such test monitoring when setting up new equipment and as extensions to other rooms.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Burke those aren't the one's I was thinking off. The ones I remember looked just like the ones above in that they were two small speakers that could swivel in the middle.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                Burke those aren't the one's I was thinking off.
                Of course they're not. The ones you were thinking of were "bose wannabees". The ones I showed above actually sound good. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"