X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charles17
    • Oct 2005

Rotel and Denon

Hi,

I love good sound in 2 channel. My HT system must be great to listen to music and great for watching movie - in that order of priority.

At present I have a Denon 1602 surround amp that I never listen to music, but is fine for movies. I want to remedy my not listening to music, so am planning to upgrade my amp.

Reviews on Denon 2805 are rave, but I do love Rotel sound and am also looking at the Rotel RSX 1056.

As a newbie, I would value input from both sides!

Thanks a lot.
  • fordster
    • Feb 2005

I went from a Denon 1602 to an RSX-1056 after auditioning it against a Denon 3805. The difference was very noticeable for movies and even more so for music. I'd say the surround steering is slightly better on the Denon but the clarity is way better on the Rotel. For music there was no contest with the Denon sound too warm and laid back whereas the Rotel had real pace and superb clarity.
    Dave

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

If music's a priority, there's no comparison IMO. Go Rotel :T
      Jason

Comment

• Nick M
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

I own the Denon DVD-2910 universal player, but had the 2900 originally. Marantz-Denon has the worst customer service I've ever experienced. They failed to return 32 phone calls, and I couldn't reach a single person on the phone that could help me. My player was exchanged by the retailer I bought it from, but I've sworn to never purchase Denon equipment again.

I use the Rotel RMB-1075 5ch amp which is great, but I've heard nothing but bad things about Rotel Processors and Receivers.

If you like this type of sound, you might want to check out Outlaw Audio. I use one of their Pre/Pro's, but they just released a new receiver. Check it out. They will answer your questions via eMail/phone in depth, and stand behind their great products.

If you're thinking of spending $1500 or so on a receiver, you could get seperates from outlaw for $1900. If thats out of your budget, I'd check out their receiver which is under a grand.
        ~Nick

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

I have experienced both, the Denon is fine for HT, but if you want both 2 channel and HT, the Rotel is the true winner, that's all there is to it. Your mileage may vary of course. Listen for yourself, take some material you are familiar with and demo both.

Good luck,

Azeke

Comment

• theMaximus
            • Jul 2004

I have RSX-1056 and absolutely love it for both music and movies. Only thing that I've listened that may be slightly better than 1056 in terms of stereo music performance is Arcam Diva receiver (in similar price range). I've auditioned Denon 2805 and 3805 before I got my 1056. IMO, Denon was great for movies, but it sounded too mechanical and cold for 2-channel music.

I think your decision should also be based on what type of speakers you have. Different receivers match up better with certain speakers. For example you may want to get a receiver that sounds slightly bright if your speakers sound too laid-back.
            Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

• charles17
              • Oct 2005

Thanks,

I have an old set of Linn Helix speakers that I love (and can not afford to replace!). They were wonderful with my old Rotel 2 channel stereo amp, and that is why I am looking at the Rotel.

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Nicholas Mosher
                I use the Rotel RMB-1075 5ch amp which is great, but I've heard nothing but bad things about Rotel Processors and Receivers.
                Nothing but bad things...? I've heard of some people having problems for sure but it sure seems there's at least a few people in this thread with something other than bad things to say about Rotel gear

Myself, never had a problem with my Rotel pre or amp :T (*knock on wood*) :B
                Jason

Comment

• Tha Freak
                  • Jul 2003

I have to admit that the Outlaw product are quite something...

Aud19,

how much is a RMB-1095 ?
                  How much is a RMB-1075 ?

Their 755 (5x200w) is 1300$!!
                  Their 7125 has nice 7x125w is 1000$ !!!
                  - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• Nick M
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

Jason - Lot's of people here have had a butt-load of trouble with Rotel receivers and Pre/Pros. Don't get me wrong, the 1068 sounds great and I was considering purchasing it, but I've heard lot's of stuff here about features or the entire unit quitting. It's also a bit out dated and over priced compared to the new Sherwood and Outlaw units. I love me Rotel amp, but if purchasing all over again with the newly available 7125 from Outlaw, I know what I'd choose... :W

If my memory serves me correct, the US price for the 1068 is $1700, the 1075 is $1000, and the 1095 is $2000. If your dealer won't give you atleast 15% off go somewhere else. I got my 1075 20% off.

Just my humble opinion, but the Outlaw 990 Preamp and 7125 Amp for $1900 is an absolute killer deal. Also, the only company I've dealt with who has better customer service than Outlaw is SVS (who you might want to look into for subs). The 755 and 775 amps are actually older units that are getting ready to be phased out. I'd think twice before paying for those. 125Wx7 with the 7125 should be more than enough juice for most people. Going from 125W to 200W will only get you a few dB's increase at most. Unless you have terribly inefficient speakers that require butt-loads of power.

The Outlaw 1070 receiver may only have 65w/7, but thats all channels driven with huge capacitence reserves... more likely than not better than any other mass-market power output. It's more than enough power to get you ear-bleeding levels with the majority of decently efficient speakers.

Call me a fanatic, but I've had nothing but excellent experience in every form of customer satisfaction (both performance and service) from Outlaw Audio, SVS, and Carada - a HTGuide Forum sponsor at the top of the page.
                    ~Nick

Comment

• Shane Martin
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Apr 2001

there's at least a few people in this thread with something other than bad things to say about Rotel gea
                      When they work :rofl:

Many of the esoteric brands seem to be having issues with various things. Rotel, NAD and B&k are 3 of the top offenders. Audio dropouts, buzzing, humming etc. Great sound quality... when they work.

Denon has lately stepped up to the plate with their Audyssey EQ. It is stunning what it can do. I wish Rotel/Nad/B&K and the like would adopt such a beast. Some Eq's like the Yamaha don't really do a whole lot but the new Audyssey multiEQxt is amazing stuff.

Comment

• mickster1972
                        • Feb 2005

My 0.02:

You need to go listen to the two receivers, at the same place if you can find such a dealer, to decide for yourself on the sound. We can't tell you which one you'll like better. It's too personal. Plus it could be application specific (there might be some synergy between your speakers and a particular amp, for example). Both receivers are highly regarded.

Just anecdotal, but I've had my rotel gear for 6 months with zero problems (RSP1068 processor with RMB1075 5 channel amp). Music playback is excellent. My priority is music first. At first I was wanting multichannel playback primarily, but with the rotel and my beloved DIY speakers (thanks JonMarsh!) for front left/right, I am re-discovering my CD collection in 2 channel. Of course, dolby digital/DTS in 5 channel surround rocks as well. So does DVD-audio and SACD in 5 channel, but I can't credit the Rotel for the processing on that one.

the rotel amp was the first upgrade, keeping the onkyo as a prepro, and the amp brought out more dynamics in the music (including subtleties). When I upgraded the onk with the Rotel processor, the surround decoding on the Rotel brough slightly more enveloping and engaging surround effects.

I agree with Nick Mosher that the customer service at Outlaw is great. I almost bought a model 990, but didn't pull the trigger. The folks there were very friendly and responsive, however. Seems like a great "bang for the buck" company.
                        "MMMMMMM..... Floor Pie..... Marge, where's the silver digging thing?"

-Homer

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"