Major Ground Loop after Direct TV upgrade from Dish.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mitch57
    • Nov 2004

Major Ground Loop after Direct TV upgrade from Dish.

Thank You Very Much Direct TV!!! I upgraded (or should I say downgraded) from Dish to Direct TV. I bought a new 50" plasma and upgraded to HD. I knew that this was one of the first things I was going to be looking for after the installation.

Low and behold immediately after he installed the Direct TV system I turned on my A51, Pre/Pro and the Tivo. HUMMMM.....!!!! And I mean a very loud HUM. It was dead silent before.

The installer was very aware of the dreaded ground loop problem and helped me isolate it based on some of my inputs. He had to connect a new coax for the dual tuner Tivo so he took it from my cable modem connection in the room on the other side of the wall. And of course the piece of S&%#* Tivo absolutely has to have a telephone line connected to it in order to function.

I have my sneaking suspicions that the culprit is the introdcution of the telephone line in the mix. The rest of my entire system is connected to two dedicated 20 amp breakers and the ground loop wasn't there before the change over to Direct TV. The reason I suspect the telephone is because there is no change when I disconect the coax cables from the Tivo. I'm thinking it might be a combination of both the introduction of another coax from another system and the telephone line.

I've killed the ground loop hum so it's back to the way it was before the change over but I really haven't solved the problem. What I did to completely silence the problem is connect a ground wire to one of the screws on the back of the Tivo and connect the other end to one of the metal screws in between the heat sink fins on the side of my Parasound Halo A51.

Everything is dead silent now but it really pisses me off that I had to resort to the ground wire to solve the problem. I would like to eliminate it the right way!

Damn those ground loop Gremlins!!! :M
    Mitch
    :stupidpc:
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"