X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chanlon
    • Sep 2003

Ground Loop Hum

Any of you folks find the Rotel 1570 prone to experiencing Ground Loop Hums?

Seems that the Oppo BDP-95 connected via multi-channel analog creates the ground loop with the Rotel processor. If I disconnect the RCA cables, the ground loop disappears. If I use a cheater plug on the Oppo, it disappears.

Recently I purchased an Shiit Audio headphone amp. The second I connect a RCA cable to the Rotel, a ground loop hum develops.

I have all power cables going into a pricey ISOBAR surge protector.

Satellite is disconnected from the Rotel and so is any internet connection.

Any suggestions?
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

You could tray taking a wire and connecting the two chassis together, Rotel and Schiit and see if the ground loop stops. If it does then you might have to create a ground cable to help.

This might also be the same thing for the Oppo.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

With apologies to the OP for going off topic, I just ordered the Schiit Bifrost DAC. Curious as to your impressions on the headphone amp, chanlon.
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Is there anything else connected to any part of your system that could be on a different power circuit? TV, subwoofer? You really need to disconnect EVERYTHING, then just the 1570 & amp. Plug the Oppo or headphone amp in, then everything else until you get the hum..

Chances are you always have the ground loop, and only the Oppo or headphone amp make it audible.

Kevin D.

Comment

• chanlon
          • Sep 2003

Thanks gang for all your responses. I'll try your suggestions and let you know how I make out.

Wkhanna - I PM'd you a response.

Comment

• chanlon
            • Sep 2003

Kevin, It is the subwoofer and TV that is the culprit.
            They are plugged into a different AC receptacle in my family room.

The ground loop is louder when both TV and subwoofer and plugged in. Once I disconnect either one, its a little more livable. When neither are plugged in, there no ground loop.

So now what? :-) There is no way I can run a 20ft extension power cord to where my stereo is plugged in.

The TV (Pioneer 151FD Plasma's) only connection to the system is through a single HDMI cable (extra thick) that connects to the monitor output on the Rotel 1570. The subwoofer has a single 20FT RCA cable ran in-wall.

Any suggestions? Is there something I can do to potentially eliminate this humming?

Thanks again - it is so much appreciated!

Comment

• chanlon
              • Sep 2003

A ground loop isolator is on the way from monoprice for the RCA cable on my Sub!
              I just read about HumX for the TV to plug into. Anyone out there try this product?
              It's $80 in Canada - wowsers. Money well spent if it can straighten me out!

Comment

• jam200
                • Jan 2009

Here's a website with three reviews of the HumX.

Our musical instruments store offers music equipment including guitars, drums & keyboards. Get 0% interest plans & free shipping at American Musical Supply.

Regards.

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Yeah aside from isolating the ground from the signal, not much you can do except fix the problem.

Fixing the problem involves checking all the outlets involved for proper termination, included the rest of the outlets connected to each circuit. You can check and see if they if both circuits are grounded correctly in the panel.

If they are on different panels, check for proper grounding at the main panel and that the sub panel is grounded to the main panel and doesn't have its own ground.

If they are the same panel, you can try moving them to the same phase if they are not, or to different phases if they are..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Sackrat
                    • Oct 2011

I had a similar HUM issue a few years ago. I spent about $8 on a ground loop isolator that resolved the problem immediately. It was all RCA plugs related in my case. Just offering a less expensive resolution that may or may not work for you as well. With some problems, cost is not object to get the result you want. Good Luck

Comment

• gp4Jesus
                      • Jan 2010

$80! Ouch! You issolated the hum to your TV & sub. Good

Did you try running extension cord(s) to your TV &/or sub from where the rest of your system receives power? If hum stays away w/either or both connected there, that would support Kevin's comments about suspect house wiring. If not that device is your only solution.

Best to ya, tony
                      Samsung 60" LED
                      Outlaw Audio 976
                      Samsung BDP, Dish Network

BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside & out
                      Canare 14 ga - LCR inside; CC outside
                      LR: RTi A7 Triamped
                      M & T: Rotel RB-981
                      Bass: Rotel RB-980BX ->8ga in & out

CC: Rotel RB981 -> CSi A6 Bi-amped
                      SW: LFE - Sunfire; Audio Pro Evidence @ each corner
                      Surrounds: Rotel RB981 -> RTi A3
                      Power Conditioning & Distribution: APC H15, 4 Furman Miniport 20s; 3 dedicated 20A feeds

Comment

• Mark_C.
                        • Jan 2003

It could be your satellite receiver that needs to be grounded. Even when not connected, if not properly grounded they can cause the problem.

Comment

• chanlon
                          • Sep 2003

Guys, Can anybody out there verify whether or not the North American version of the Rotel RSP-1570 shipped with a 3-prong power cable or was it 2?

I have so many cables, I want to make sure I have the correct one attached to ensure I'm dealing with this ground loop correctly.

Thanks!

Comment

• chanlon
                            • Sep 2003

I did run the extension cord so that the TV receives the same power and the hum does in fact disappear.

Originally posted by gp4Jesus
                            $80! Ouch! You issolated the hum to your TV & sub. Good

Did you try running extension cord(s) to your TV &/or sub from where the rest of your system receives power? If hum stays away w/either or both connected there, that would support Kevin's comments about suspect house wiring. If not that device is your only solution.

Best to ya, tony

Comment

• Kevin D
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by chanlon
                              Guys, Can anybody out there verify whether or not the North American version of the Rotel RSP-1570 shipped with a 3-prong power cable or was it 2?

I have so many cables, I want to make sure I have the correct one attached to ensure I'm dealing with this ground loop correctly.

Thanks!
                              Look at the back of the unit, if there's three tabs inside the plug, it shipped with a 3 prong. In addition, if it needed a three prong, a 2 prong wouldn't fit.

Pretty sure it has a 2 prong though.

Kevin D.

Comment

• madmac
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Kevin D
                                Look at the back of the unit, if there's three tabs inside the plug, it shipped with a 3 prong. In addition, if it needed a three prong, a 2 prong wouldn't fit.

Pretty sure it has a 2 prong though.

Kevin D.
                                I don't think there is a Rotel amp out there that does NOT have a 3 prong plug!!!
                                Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Tom Caines
                                  • Sep 2000

Here's the Rotel back panel PDF. Looks like 2 prong.
                                  Tom Caines

Display: TC-P50ST30-50-Inch Plasma
                                  Receiver: Rotel RSX-1056
                                  DVD: Sony BDP-S580 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
                                  Phono Preamp: Rotel RQ-970BX
                                  Speakers: Vandersteen: (4) 1C's, (1) VCC-1
                                  Subwoofer: SVS 20-39PC-Plus
                                  Additional Sub: Aura Shakers (2) Bolted under sofa
                                  Speaker Cable: KimberKable PB4
                                  Interconnects: Monster, Better Cable, Radio Shack Gold
                                  Toslink: Cables To Go SonicWave Glass
                                  Remote Control: Radio Shack 15-1995 Custom Programmed
                                  Rack: Salamander Archetype A5

Comment

• Kevin D
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2002

Originally posted by madmac
                                    I don't think there is a Rotel amp out there that does NOT have a 3 prong plug!!!
                                    Huh?? It actually varies per product, but the vast majority seem to be 2 prong.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"