X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daymond
    • Apr 2006

Ground Loop Hum and the RSP-1066

Just got a 1066 and I am having a problem with what I think is Ground Loop Hum. I have the unit hooked up to a Monster PowerCenter HTS-3500MkII which is plugged in to a grounded outlet with all of my other components. I then disconnected the other components leaving only this processor plugged in along with my Adcom amplifier. The hum is only apparent when powering on the processor. When the processor is off and the amp alone is on, there is no hum. I thought the Monster PowerCenter was supposed to take care of this anyway? I checked all my speaker connections as well as my cables running to the amplifier, and they are all hooked up considering signal flow/positive/negative. I even plugged the 1066 into a different outlet by itself taking the PowerCenter out of the "loop" to eliminate that as a probable cause. Do I need to separately ground the PowerCenter with a copper wire to my equipment rack? Do I need a ground loop isolator in addition to my PowerCenter? The amp is definitely not causing the hum. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • Daymond
    • Apr 2006

Actually, scratch that. The processor emits a hum, but it's louder with the amp on as it should be.

Comment

• Mark_C.
      • Jan 2003

Power conditioners are no guarantee of eliminating ground loop. 99 percent of the time, the loop can be traced to improperly grounded (or ungrounded) cable and satellite input. If you have one of those, try disconnecting to see if loop is eliminated.

Comment

• Audiophiliac
        • Apr 2006

Yep. First thing to check is cable/sat lines. Unplug them and see what happens. Next step I always do which is easy, is get a length of wire...16 ga. is always handy. And just start grounding the chassis of your preamp to your amp, and anything else nearby. Sometimes a ground loop between components is an issue.

Other than that, the only other cause I have seen is defective equipment. Hope thats not the case here.

Comment

• foeth
          • Apr 2006

Techie articles

Comment

• Daymond
            • Apr 2006

Excuse my ignorance here, but could you tell me the best way to ground the two units together? Where are you attaching it to the chassis of both units?

Comment

• joetama
              • May 2006

Most units have a place to attach a separate ground. But if it doesn't usually the screws on the chassis are grounded, so slightly unscrew one wrap the cable around and you should be set.
              -Joe

Comment

• Daymond
                • Apr 2006

Ironically, plugging the processor into a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter seemed to do the trick to break the loop. The best $.69 I ever spent. Anybody see any problems with utilizing this method?

Comment

• foeth
                  • Apr 2006

Although I have no experience with cheater plugs, I do distinctly remember several articles warning about their use. But, as some Rotel units do not have a three prong cable or connector...
                  Last edited by foeth; 02 June 2006, 03:11 Friday.

Comment

• joetama
                    • May 2006

The reason for a ground is so that there is a path to ground other than through neutral. The reason for doing this, is if neutral fails or your device was to short the current needs somewhere to go. And it will find ground where ever it needs to, this could be through your hand, foot, other equipment, etc.... So, running any device that is designed to be grounded ungrounded IS NOT GOOD...
                    -Joe

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"