X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blazar
    • Feb 2004

The concept of "separates" needs to be redefined

Would it not make more sense to have analog volume control at the amplifier instead of in the pre-amp?

A nice 5-7 channel amp with analog volume control and balanced + unbalanced inputs would be perfect for high end use.

This way you don't have to spend obscene amounts for a half decent analog section of the pre-amp every time you want the next latest processing.

Ideally I would want a separate processor and separate D/A converter for music with a pre-amp that can be completely bypassed for music.

Basically what I'm looking for is found in the PsAudio GCC digital amps and the upcoming GCC-mc multichannel amp.

I hope more companies would follow this paradigm in the high end arena.

An alternative approach is GREAT pure analog multichannel preamp systems with remote capabilities and input switching. You could couple it to any amp PLUS you can swap out movie processing when the latest crap comes out. You could also use separate d/a converters for music with ease. Current pre-amp setups mostly degrade the analog signal from great d/a converters.
    Blazar!
    (HTPC/Panasonic SA-XR55/B&W 802D/HTM-1/SCMS)
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

That would be an intergrated amp.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• purplepeople
      • Aug 2004

Maybe you want one of these.

And I recall, but could not find info on a pro audio control out out of Alberta that is even cleaner than the two active solutions above.

ensen.
      Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it...

Comment

• Blazar
        • Feb 2004

well audioqueso, name an integrated amp without the decoders and dacs. And only the psaudio product uses digital volume control by voltage regulation instead of resistor/attenuation.

I looked at those web sites you meantioned purplepeople but none are 7 channel and only some have remote volume control. I'm not even sure if they all use balanced interconnections and circuit paths.

The psaudio people are clearly onto something and I believe that a mutlichannel Digital voltage control amplifier with the added benefits of "class d" design is going to propel everything from the low end market to the high end market in a totally different direction.

Current solid state amps are very likely to take a back seat to the far cheaper, more efficient, and cooler technology.

channel delay and digital effects/processing belong in a totally separate box as do video and audio switching components (a la bryston pre-amps).

The psaudio amp design also lends itself PERFECTLY for HTPC usage as it still allows the elimination of the pre-amp but ALSO allows for non-"digital" volume control. In other words you eliminate the digital attenuation found in software volume control while not having to pay for expensive stepped attenuators like the one on the dact.com website above.
        Blazar!

Comment

• purplepeople
          • Aug 2004

Anything over 6-channel is no longer discrete. Just twin after the fact or get a n-ganged Dact attenuator. If you are looking for balanced... that is the one I couldn't find. It is a professional unit and costs well into the 4 digits just for volume control.

ensen.
          Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it...

Comment

• Blazar
            • Feb 2004

for the most part, analog volume control will be no more than a vintage item 20 years from now. Digital volume control with voltage gain is soon surpassing analog volume control in terms of audio quality.

Look at how much device you can get in a $240 package now in the form of the panasonic xr-55... it's scary how cheap digital really is.
            Blazar!

Comment

• Blazar
              • Feb 2004

looking at the panasonic xr55 technology, I guess I should re-think my initial concept that we even need separates anymore...
              Blazar!

Comment

• gianni
                • Nov 2002

Blazar,

I too am following PS Audio's products. If you have not seen it, there is an in depth reviews over at the Secrets website.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"