X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • comeup
    • Jul 2005

5.1 analog out or digital out for movies

I've recently been watching movies using the DD/DTS decoders in my Denon 3910 dvd player instead of the decoders in my preamp. The sound is different and I like it at first I didn't probably because the digital out is louder and seemed to sound better. I've been doing some critical listening. Movies with alot of music really shine with the analog outs on my system although the lows tend to struggle a bit. I first heard movies using analog on a MacCormack all analog preamp made for movies/music. If I remember correctly the MacCormack had three 5.1 analogs out for dvd audio/sacd/movies and a two channel out for stereo. The MacCormack was flawless and I never heard movies sound so open especially movies with music. The MacCormack had to be used with a dvd player that had built in decoders for movies (because it had none). Do any of you listen to yours this way? How do you like it? If you have not tried it you will be suprised how good it sounds if your player has decent decoders.
    Blake
  • comeup
    • Jul 2005

A MacCormacks review

Blake

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

I have tried both (as an experiment) but my receiver has far more flexible settings for DD/DTS than my player (selectable xover, +/- dB settings for levels, more flexible speaker distance settings, etc.) that it was no contest. My player with the internal DD and DTS decoders is the Marantz DV6400 (outdated now, but a fairly well regarded--for audio, at least--mid-fi player when I bought it).

My other player, a Cambridge Audio 540D, doesn't have a DTS internal decoder but it can be used directly with an amp (no preamp/processor needed) and, in future, I may use it for a minimalist setup in another room, but it does not have the flexibility of my receiver either. For music, though, I use it in a 2.1 configuration for CDs (my Marantz handles hi-res duties in my system) and use the Pure Audio mode on my receiver (a complete analogue pass-through) and it sounds great. It is as a 2.1 system that I will likely use it, should I put it another room.

Comment

• comeup
        • Jul 2005

Ovation,

when I first tried it was a no contest also, but my 3910 does have bass management and the other setup functions to make the sound nicer i'm kinda hooked now. One thing when comparing make sure the volumes are set at the same level for some reason digital is much louder.This will play tricks with your ears as our brains make us think louder sounds better. i'm pretty sure you know your equipment just had to throw that in there. With my Denon the steering (seems to be) better than my B&K, but I'm still doing some critical listening.
        Blake

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

I don't doubt that a solid player like your Denon has some serious abilities, especially if it is a lot newer than your receiver (my previous receiver had NO DTS and if I still had it, I would use my player to decode movies as well). My players are simply not as flexible as my receiver.

What you are talking about applies, in principle, to any purchase I might make of a hi-def player. A player will come along long before a new receiver for me, so I will rely on the the player's audio management options for at least a while.

Comment

• chinets
            • Jun 2005

I usually play DVD-V In DD or DTS throught Bypass mode with the Multichannel extension with a Marantz DV-9600 through my processor Pre/Pro ,and it sounds awsome with Musicals or concerts, but for simple action movies , I prefer Digital!
            Cheers

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"