X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anton
    • Oct 2004

Centre channel mount...

My centre channel speakers sits atop my TV and I think there must be a better way for mounting it. I don't think this is the best place for the speaker to be mounted. Is a shelf coming off the wall the best way to create a stable and isolated platform for the speaker or is there a way I could give the speaker a good platform atop the TV.

Anyone have a design or an idea for this mounting dilema?
    Attached Files
    Canadian heart, Aussie home!
  • Snap
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2005

I had a simular problem with my TV. I went to Lowes and bought a $9.99 White Shelf. Screwed it into wall and set my speaker on top. It looks like the speaker is sitting on the TV when you are sitting on the sofa, but it really is sitting on the shelf. I also just dropped the wire straight down and to my receiver.
    Attached Files
    The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• Anton
      • Oct 2004

Thats a good idea Snap, I think I'll give that some real thought. I'm abit worried though, the shelf will have to come out 23 inches to clear the front edge of the TV. I might have to engineer something to do the job.
      A standard shelf bracket might not do the job in this case.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Yeah, I agree with the shelf idea. I have front projection with a fixed wall screen. My center speaker is on a handmade shelf just below the screen frame. If you need a larger shelf than the standard ones you buy, just get a larger extension wall bracket and make an appropriate shelf at the depth and width required.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Shane Martin
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2001

The problem with Snaps setup would be that the firing area of your tweeter is too high. You want to properly angle your center speaker towards the listening position for the best results.

Here is what we need:

Center Channel Shelf from Omnimount

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

Snap,
            I can assure you that if you messed with properly tilting your Phase Tech center, the difference is not subtle.

-Another Phase Tech owner

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

I agree with Shane the speaker needs to be tilted towards the listening area. A couple other things:

The speaker should be flush with, if not in front of, the display and it should also be far enough away from the rear wall not to cause boundary issues (especially if it has rear firing ports!). Also try not to have it sit inside a cabinet surround.
              Jason

Comment

• Snap
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2005

Yeah guys you are 100% correct. That pix is OLD. I have a wedge in the back now that aims it down toward the sofa. I just have not taken another pic yet.

But you guys are RIGHT ON! I did notice a diff in the sound. :yesnod:

Edit: I did not get the Omni mount cause my Lowes shelf was only 10 bucks.
                The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• Shane Martin
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Apr 2001

The Lowes shelf puts it too far back IMHO.

Comment

• Glen B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jul 2004

I have experimented with set top placement and found it just not acceptable aesthetically. For me, any AV furniture must be able to accommodate the center channel speaker under the TV. My center channel aims upward slightly, which makes a shelf under the TV the perfect location.

My old and current setups:

Comment

• Anton
                      • Oct 2004

I would kill to have my centre channel mounted on a dedicated shelf under my tv, them I could isolate it with spikes or the like. But the fact is that my whole lounge room is small and the area under the tv is obscured by the coffe table, bummer.

I've spent so much time positioning, re-positioning, leveling, toeing in, isolating and using alchemy to get my left and right mains the way I like them, and my poor centre is sitting in the worst possible spot atop a big plastic box.

I think that the pic attached explains the set-up I would prefer the most, sleek and simple, and I can isolate the centre channel with spiked feet.

Any thoughts?
                      Attached Files

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Anton, THAT's the idea. :T For an above-mount you want to separate the speaker from the shelf/TV cabinet and then angle it so that it's pointing directly at ear-height at the listening position. That way, you minimize interaction with the TV cabinetry which can add boominess or cause the sound to be muddy.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Shane Martin
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Apr 2001

Nice work Anton!

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"