• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alloroc
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Centre speaker placement with LCD TV

Hi,

Got a dill of a pickle as Ned Flanders would say.

I've decided to upgrade my CRT TV to a 40" LCD. My pickle is where will I place my centre. It's a HTM-7 and it sits nicely on top of the TV. I have low and wide A/V unit. It's about 18" high but there is no room for the speaker underneath. I don't really want to replace it as it co-ordinates with other furniture in the room. It's all placed in the corner of my family room and can't really be placed anywhere else - against a wall for example.

My thoughts on a possible solution.

1 - Get a speaker stand and place it, with the speaker on top behind the screen on the unit top. I think this will look a bit daft but it will work I'm sure.

2 - Get a stand like this in the link below and place it on the unit, with the speaker on the glass shelf. It's height adjustable so it should not look too out of place.

So, what do you think? Anyone else have a similar dilemma when replacing their CRT?

Thanks,
    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

Or a regular wall shelf above the LCD.

When I switched to plasma, I wall-mounted it high enough to clear a floor-standing center speaker.

Kal
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Alloroc
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

Thanks Kal.

Not sure that'll work out given it's in a corner and will be placed too far back from the screen if I try that. I'll look again later tho'.

V.
      Vincent.

Comment

• DSGCobra
        • Feb 2003

under the LCD? how big is the center channel? I had to move mine under the TV when I got a new center due to the damn size of the thing....

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

You could try an arm mount from the wall as well but I'd wager a stand in front of the TV, tilted up towards the listener(s) would be best. The shelf solution could cause too close of placement to the wall as well as possible reflections off the shelf if not placed/built properly.
          Jason

Comment

• Alloroc
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

Thanks all,

The speaker is by no means as big as DSGCobra's - That's one big centre!

It's this one here....

I reckon that the stand placed in my original link will be the best option, particularly as it is adjustable. I'm still curious to obtain feedback from you all when you moved from CRT and the speaker placement problems it may have caused.....

V.
            Vincent.

Comment

• Blindamood
              • Sep 2003

Here are a couple more that are similar to the one you already found:

BDI Vista 9960

or the following, to which a shelf can also be added:
              BDI Vista 9950

or the following, which is designed as an attachment to their other units:
              Bell'O PP59
              Brad

Comment

• SteveCallas
                • Aug 2005

I'd imagine the base of your LCD doesn't take up all of the top of the tv stand, so could you build a shelf with long legs that rest on the top of the tv stand and support the center channel above the tv. Move the LCD to the front edge of the tv stand and the legs can be hidden behind the LCD. I wouldn't rest the front of such a shelf on the LCD though, it should not touch the top at all.

Comment

• dietDrThunder
                  • Oct 2010

Sorry to bump this...I swear that while I'm a n00b here I am not close to a forum n00b in general, and as such, I searched lots before posting ...this is the only thread I found.

I have a Sony 46" LCD, and it sits on the HT equiv. of a coffee table. I need to either sit my center channel speaker (not large) on top of the tv somehow, or put the TV on a low 3-sided shelf such that the speaker could be placed under it.

Try as I might, I'm not finding any pre-existing way to do this. I can't possibly be the only person facing this situation...any ideas would be much appreciated.
                  I could build something, but I'm, er...let's just say that when it comes to wood working, the two most effective tools in my arsenal are my phone and my check book.

Thanks!

Dave in Nashville

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Dave, is the height of your centre speaker greater than the bottom edge of your screen? If you've got the space in front of the TV I'd place the speaker there as close to the front edge of the cabinet/table and use a couple rubber door stops to angle it upwards. (It's an old AV trick and doesn't look out of place if you get colour complimentary stops).
                    Jason

Comment

• dietDrThunder
                      • Oct 2010

Thanks for the reply. I haven't actually bought it yet, but I don't want to put it in front for aesthetic reasons. If there is some sort of shelf that exists that mounts to the top of thin TVs I'd do that, or I'd also put the TV on top of a low riser that I could then put the speaker under (and I could still tilt it up).

Thoughts?

Comment

• David G
                        • Jan 2005

Here's my setup - the speaker is actually resting on the TV itself along with a bracket on the wall. Since the pic was taken I started using large sorbothane isolation feet.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"