X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bullitt731
    • Aug 2005

Need System Configuration Advice

After reading posts and reviews here for the last month or so I have been able to put together the following system with some new and some used equipment in mint condition. Having little experience in AV equipment at this level I felt it would be wise to start out in this manner to gain some actual listening experience before I lay out big bucks in the future. I would appreciate any advice on the system as a whole or any weak links you see. I will use it for 50% music and 50% movies.

Speakers
    USED-Signature 805s
    DEMO-HTM2
    USED-DS7s

Electronics
    USED-RSX 1056 as processor and amp for center and surrounds.
    USED-RB 1080 for front Sig 805s.
    NEW-Denon 2900.(bought a Rotel RCD-1072 for CDs) Will by new DVD Player.

Sub
    USED-Velodyne F1000 10"sub from my old system.

Cables
    NEW-Cattails speaker and sub cables.
    USED-Audioquest interconnects from my old system.

Thanks for your feedback, Ed
    Last edited by bullitt731; 11 October 2005, 20:14 Tuesday.
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Ed,

It looks like a nice system.

Are those Roland DS7s apeakers? I am not familar with their acoustical charateristics.

That being said, I believe in maintaining balance and would therefore try to remain with B&W all around, for symmetry. However, you must listen for yourself, that is the only way to truly judge your system. Just ensure you have tweaked you system properly before acoutical assessment, i.e. set delays properly, speaker calibration via SPL, speaker placement, etc. Your acoustical mileage may actually vary.

Hope this helps,

Azeke

Comment

• bullitt731
      • Aug 2005

Thanks Azeke, yes the DS7s are a B & W dipole/monopole surround speaker. As you mentioned I am working on the room acoustics which has been quite an ordeal. I have had two companies look at the room and both have slightly different approaches to the echo problem it exhibits. Its depressing to have to spend 2k on just getting a room to a point where you can enjoy the equipment.

Ed

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

Sub is the weakest link. A friend of mine replaced his Velodyne HGS15 with an SVS pair(2 cs+'s) and the difference was astronomical. He didn't lose the musicality of his Velo either.

I don't see a display listed either so that could also be a weakness depending.

Comment

• bullitt731
          • Aug 2005

Decided to forget about the Denon 2900 with so many new video enhancements on the horizon. I picked up a mint RCD-1072 instead, at least this way the music portion of the system is pretty complete. I will just have to use my old Denon DVD player until I see what happens. I would like to spend some time acquiring an ear for music again anyway and the 1072 will help in that regard.

Ed

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"