X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ladebauchee
    • Oct 2005

Help choosing new Rotel system.

i'm Really excited to get a new rotel home theater system. i have a 50 inch fujitsu plasma and currently a sony es system with in-wall jamo speakers. i would love to get the 1098 processor and 1077 amp but i'm concerned about my room acoustics, frankly they are terrible. stone floors, windows, dry wall... it's a veritable cave and my current system sounds awful.
    any advice on whether i'm over-spending on a listening room already doomed? would a 1056 receiver sound similar? any particular in-wall speakers that my be a good match? i really want to go with rotel.
    thx
  • DrJRapp
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2003

Originally posted by ladebauchee
    ... it's a veritable cave and my current system sounds awful.
    any advice on whether i'm over-spending on a listening room already doomed? thx
    I don't think your room has more problems than most of ours. There are lots of things that can be done to tame that room. First tell us about your speakers.
    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Yup sounds like a good candidate for some throw rugs, wall hangings and/or acoustic treatments :T Then Rotel yourself all to heck
      Jason

Comment

• ladebauchee
        • Oct 2005

i really appreciate your advice..
        my predicament includes a listening room with stone floors, windows, drywall and a certain roommate, who lacks a Y chromosome and forbids covering her antique flooring and such. i'm not going to be able to add rugs, wall/window acoustic treatments. i'm also restricted to in or on-wall replacement speakers, except for the sub behind the sofa.

my current speakers are jamo in-wall 883k3 fronts and a 515c2 center with on-wall dipole jamo surrounds and a paradigm ps-100 subwoofer. i have a sony es gx800 surround receiver that i'm replacing, as well as new speakers and dvd player. my system currently has horrible reverberation which does improve when i turn off the receiver's sound processing.

i've been told by various salesmen to install in-wall sonnance, triad, signature b&w speakers so far.

Comment

• gd
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by ladebauchee
          my predicament includes a listening room with stone floors, windows, drywall and a certain roommate, who lacks a Y chromosome and forbids covering her antique flooring and such. i'm not going to be able to add rugs, wall/window acoustic treatments. i'm also restricted to in or on-wall replacement speakers, except for the sub behind the sofa.
          You are screwed.

If you can't tame that hand-clap reverb with even just a rug, throwing Rotel gear at it won't change anything either.

Trying different speakers might make somewhat more difference, but that's likely to be a trial-and-error ordeal as well.

You might experiment with an inexpensive outboard equalizer before other new gear... but somewhere along the line, you have to address room acoustics in a reverberant space... if a throw rug is no-go, try suggesting large fabric wall hangings that the missus can live with... although I'd pitch hardest for the throw rug -- it's the easiest and least-obtrusive fix, not to mention effective.

Better yet, get your own room -- The Man Cave, as suggested in another thread here (search 'WAF').

Good luck.
          greg (gd to you)
          Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
          production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• VGuarino
            • Oct 2004

Okay, bring her with you where you can *listen* to a movie that she likes. My wife says, "...even thought this movie was a bad one, the music made it bearable...". Soooo, if she brings one of her fav movies, that you suggest, knowing it has some good music....well, she might change her mind.

;-)

Comment

• ladebauchee
              • Oct 2005

thx for the ideas, i'll try, but when it comes to interior decor, she can relentless

what brand equilizer would u recommend? is it a unit with a calibration program in it like audyssey which some denon units have?

i have been told that i need a separate equilizer before, and a proficient installation person to meter and calibrate my system. would that correct my room acoustics?

Comment

• gd
                • Jan 2003

Sorry, can't help with specific recommendations... I've never been in a position to need one, as I've always managed to place systems in fairly easy environments (simple shoebox rooms with mixed surfaces).

But I'm sure other posters with EQ experience will come to your aid soon.

Meanwhile, you might search the forum for such items as room correction or EQ.

Happy hunting.
                greg (gd to you)
                Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"