X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theodd
    • Sep 2005

Speaker Cable Recommendations - NEWBIE

Hey guys,

I'm setting up a really simple system in my small apartment. I have a NAD L53 that will be powering a pair of B&W 601 S3's. The system is for music listening (i.e. 2 channels). The L53 is connected to the optical out of my G5. I will be listening to iTunes 80% of the time and and CD's the other 20%. I listen primarliy to ROCK music.

Can all of you kind people recommend 20' of speaker cable that will suit this systems needs? Basically, something that is on par with the other gear (i.e entry level). Something better then Monster Cable but maybe not what most of you have. It just needs to slay for rock music...hahaah.

Whatchyall think?

Thanks.
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Hi Wade,

There is no scientifically sound explanation for the alleged superiority of any one cable over another. If there are differences then they are subtle differences.

So my advice is to use quality cable, but avoid expensive ones as they will not buy you genuine improved performance. 12 gauge should be ideal for a 20 foot run.

However, if it makes you feel good buying more expensive cables then you should do it, regardless of whether it improves the sound, because that’s part of the fun of this hobby!

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

I would take "some" of Burner's words with a grain of salt here. It is true there isn't a whole lot of "empirical evidence". The fact is, they haven't taught a machine to hear like a human ear can here in space and continuim with acoustic variations etc... So, it's famous for engineers to say, "you can't measure a difference, so there is no difference". But first, who asked for a lot of empirical evidence? I don't think anyone did in this thread. Differences can be mroe than subtle, though it is true sometimes the gains achieved through cabling can be small in comparison to say speaker changes. But never take the change for granted.

Expensive cables, and yes sometimes ones only moderately more expensive can achieve gains in performance. Certainly, it's true that one company's cables may be less money than another but still achieve a gain in performance for your system over the more expensive counterpart, so there is no golden association to cost, other than the gold you have to part with to purchase high dollar cables.

My own company, while value driven, may still be more money than you want to spend, I don't know. But I do have a couple of other options, including more standard type zip cord, which I could fit with connectors to give you reasonable quality and performance at a reasonable price.

Just get in touch via PM, email, or in the CAT forum if you care to discuss it further.

Doug
      CATCables
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• theodd
        • Sep 2005

Hey guys, thanks so much for responding. I'm still learning so any input is really appreciated.

Maybe this will help. I'm looking to spend under $200. The distance from my amp to my speakers is about 10 feet. I've been reading about bi-wiring. Does that help improve the sound quality?

I'm really looking for some brand recommendations that people swear by so I can do some research.

Thanks very much!

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

You'll get a good number of CATCables recommendations around here. Good quality, solid construction, good sound.

Bi-wiring may give you an audible improvement, and it may not. It'll primarily depend on the system you have. A fairly revealing system will be able to display the sonic differences more easily, whereas a more basic system may not allow you to hear anything different.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

how many cables is this, 1 pair, or you looking to do the front 3 cables for 200?

Bi-wiring is a subjective thing. In general, I tell people in mid-fi or less, (not high end stuff), you will generally likely not be able to hear a difference. Theoretically, bi-wiring is better. Theory and actuality can be 2 different things.

Myself, I run 10K front speakers and still don't bi-wire from a 10K amp. What does that tell you?

Doug
            Doug

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

You're hearing impaired? :roflmao:

Comment

• theodd
                • Sep 2005

Hahaha, thanks guys.

I have two speakers so I'm looking for two speaker cables. Right? Do I have that right? Like I said, still very much a newbie to this hifi stuff. Even though I'm mid or low fi by the standards of this forum....haha.

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

David, smar a@#$$#. lol.

I'll Private Message you about this.

thanks,
                  Doug
                  Doug

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Uh oh, sounds like I'm in trouble.... :

Comment

• Snap
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Feb 2005

oke: good one David. :frypan: the boss......:nonod: NOT smart.
                      Lex I recomend that you Fine David and give the money to me and Bing! :yesnod:

David....It was funny....but....:smackbutt:

Still laughing....sorry
                      The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

Actually, I meant I would private message the poster, not David about the degree of trouble he is in. He knows he's in trouble, he don't need no stinkin PM to know that.

Lex
                        Doug

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

: : :

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"