X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • D L
    • Aug 2005

Speakers cutting out, Help Please..

Hey,

I don't know if this is the right place to post this?

I have a 25 x 32, Detached 2 car heated/cooled garage I just had built. I prewired it for 4 speakers using 16 gauge copper stranded wire. The wires are in 4 places about 7 feet up on a 9 foot high walls.

I have a Carver HR-752 Receiver rated at 100 watts at 8 ohms that I am using to power the speakers.

I just bought 4 JBL E50 speakers, Power handling 90W/360 W peak.

I hooked 2 speakers up to the receiver and when I turn the voulme up past about 70% , the speakers cut off "No Sound".

Is the speakers the problem or the receiver??

The Carver receiver has a A an B channel where you can wire up 4 speakers to the back of the reciever. Is this correct? There are 2 buttons on the front of the receiver for either A or B channel use or you can push in both buttons for A and B channel use. I only wired up 2 speakers to A channel to check the new speakers out.

Thanks,
  • Stoney
    • Dec 2004

It sounds like the protection circuit of the amp is activating. I would start by taking an Ohm Meter and checking the load seen by the amp. Disconnect the speaker wires from the back of the amp and check the resistance. You should read about 8 Ohms. If it is lower, you may have a short in the wiring somewhere. Check to make sure you have no stray strands sticking out and shorting at the connectors at both ends. Make sure whatever you used to fasten the wires to the walls hasn't pinched the insulation and created a short. You could try connecting the other set of speakers with a short external wire close to the amp and see if you have the same results.
    Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
    Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
    B&W DM605 S2 Mains
    DM602 S2 Surrounds
    DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
    CC6 S2 Center.
    ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• D L
      • Aug 2005

I think the Carver receiver just can't keep up, I'll get by for now with it. All the receiver will be used for is to get sound from my local FM radio stations and that's all.

The speakers are 8 ohms. I mounted the speakers tonight in the garage. Hooked 2 speakers to A channel and 2 speakers to B channel. All 4 speakers are working and I can turn it up pretty loud then it cuts out at about 60% -70 %.

I will hook the 4 speakers up to my Yamaha RX-V2095 receiver soon and check to see if the speakers will cut off with it. The Yamaha should be able to handle the needed power for the speakers, I would guess.

I first tested the Carver with about 4 feet of cable on 2 speakers before I mounted the 4 speakers on the wall, They cut out with the 4 foot of wire.

Thanks

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

It may be that the amp is having trouble with the 16-guage wire, which is understandable. That's right at the limit of "useable" guage IMO. Substitute a length of 12-guage similar to that of the 16-guage and see if you have any more cut-out issues. You can find good bulk 12-guage at Home Depot or Lowes for 50 or 60 cents a foot.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"