X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toledoguy
    • Jul 2008

Cables, Interconnects, and Speaker Wire

I'm sure if I dig deep enough into past entries I can find some discussion on this issue. But I'd like to hear some fresh responses. Here's the deal, after years of ok audio equipment, (Sony Reciver, Sony DVD player, Sony CD player, Sony Tape Deck, Sony TV, Sony Front Channel and Subwoofer (anyone notice a trend)) I've decided that I wat something that sounds better. Now I do not have ulimited resources so have much research, and hunting through the magic of E-bay I've purchased a Rotel RB-1050 to power the front and two channel Stereo, a Rotel RMB-1066 for the remainder of the channels in a 7.1 system, and an Outlaw 990 as a preamp/processor. It's amazing the deals you can find if you don't need the newest thing. Sometime in the next few months (when my wife will let me) some Klipsch speakers, eventually for all seven channels.

Now, the interconects between the old system have mostly been some version of Monster cable, ususally not their cheapest, or their most expensive. Of course, i haven't previously needed to connect a preamp to an amp before now. I've also have fairly good grade speaker wire from Monster to the speakers (although that wire is pushing 20 years old).

Here's my question (any I assume you all know where I'm going here) You all know how incredibly expense interconnects and speaker wire can get. It's amazing I've found 1 meter interconnect at several hundred dollars for a pair. I have a bit of a phisophical problem with paying more for the interrconnects and speaker wires than for the components themselves. Obviously there is cheaply made wire, and interconnects out there, but once you get the correct gauge for a speaker wire, and I assume of a certain quality for a interconnect does it really matter beyond that? Do you really need a certain material (silver, gold) or whatever exotic material they can be made out of? What do you guys suggest? Like I said I don't want to break the bank but I want to make sure I've bought a cable or speaker wire that does its job, but I don't want to buy something that is vastly overpriced for what is needed.
  • littlesaint
    • Jul 2007

Cable discussion has long been taboo here, but maybe that's changed while CAT Cables is on hiatus.

Truth is, you really don't need fresh responses to your questions because they would be the same as all of the other responses found on AV forums, past and present. Some people swear by higher priced cables, some say they are not necessary, and of course what is considered "high price" is also very much relative. Your questions however innocuous (I assume your not trying to light the thread on fire) will most likely lead to the same arguments that can be found on other AVS ites...I mean AV sites ... and you will be no closer to any real answers, if there are any to begin with.
    Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• toledoguy
      • Jul 2008

Well I certainly am not trying to get anyone upset, or burn down the forum. Nor did I know that cables were "taboo" So if I violated some written or unwritten rule of which I was ignorant I appologize. I of couse realize that what sounds good is personal. You like a particular speaker, I like another, you like chocolate I like vanilla, same thing, no rhyme or reason needed.

But, there is some science and engineering behind what makes a quality sound reproduction. Just like there is actually a scientific reason why we like Ice Cream. We might like different flavors but, the reason Ice Cream is universally loved is because of the fat content in ice cream spreads the flavor over the entire tongue. Science proves to us that fattier foods taste better.

Now applying that to audio, and to cables science should tell us to a certain extent what types of cables, and materials transmit with as little "coloring" as possible the source material. Obviously there is going to be a level where I can't tell the difference between one cable and the next, but I guess I'm trying to find out what that level is, or at least what people think. Then I can make my own educated decision on what to purchase. I'm not looking for an argument here just some concepts, and general ideas.

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

The biggest thing with cables is this...

Copper is a good medium and will give you a good sound, very neutral.
        Silver is a better medium and will give you (again) a nuetral sound, however the mids and highs are clearer and more detailed and give a sense of being "brighter."
        Gold I can't say as I've never heard a pair of them.

As far as speaker wire, I've always felt/heard that copper is a better medium for the wires. Can't really say as to why, but it just seems a better choice.

Basically, I think the best sound in a system is silver interconnects with copper speaker wires. Brand and quality is all up to you.

Cat Cables are/were very very hard to beat for the quality vs. price stand point.
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• Victor
          • Apr 2002

PewterTA,

On the relevance scale the connectors are BY FAR more important then the wire. 20-year-old wire is fine providing that it has not rusted out. In principle, wire all by itself cannot have any sound attributes, so you can go silver or cooper or whatever, - in the end, it will not make a difference.

Discernable sound quality comes from the interaction of the electronics with the wire. With this in mind, as an example, if you have a tube power amp that is plugged into the long run of speaker wire you will hear the effects of that interface manifesting itself as a lack of high frequency content.

On the other hand, if your amp has enough current to drive the capacitance of the wire along with the capacitance of the speaker crossover, then no sound quality issues will be evident.

Make sure that the gauge is appropriate for the job, keep speaker wires as short as it is convenient and that the connectors are good. This is all there is to it.

For the most part do not blame the wire for the bad sound, most often there are other issues at hand.

Victor

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

I don't think we should get into differences between types of wire. It's a rather touchy subject and we don't need to break out into an argument.

Comment

• RobP
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by PewterTA
              Basically, I think the best sound in a system is silver interconnects with copper speaker wires. Brand and quality is all up to you.

I found this combo to work best as well, of course using Doug's interconnects :T
              Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

Funny how I have the same WBT connectors and soldered with the same WBT silver solder on my silver interconnects and copper interconnects and they sound different to everyone that has heard them. :E :B

But to each his own as everyone's ears are different and what sounds good to one person might not to the next.
                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

I was just going to say the same thing!

I have among other of Doug's products, both copper and Ag 1 meter I/C's utilizing the V same WBT connectors.

The Ag I/C's sound better in my system. The upper mids and HF are brought to life with the Ag. More detail, clarity and precision without sounding thin or shrill and never fatiguing.

I also use six 9's hyper extruded solid core Cu for my speakers with bare ends (no terminals) and treated with a coating of some stuff PewterTA put on them. (What was that stuff?) They sound better than the mass market mega guage mega strand count brand I had previously, and at a fraction of the cost.
                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Mike B
                    • Aug 2008

I have had good luck with the old rule of thumb that cables should be 10% of the cost of the system.

Comment

• Alaric
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

I'm closer to 21% , and quite happy with the improvement. My cabling is a component , so I got the best I could afford. I second Doug's cables.
                      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                      Schiit Modi 3
                      Marantz CD5005
                      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Briz vegas
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

25%

Sorry Doug. I'm in oz and needed to audition before buying - as everyone should.
                        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

I'm running about 20% here.

+1 on CATCables.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• twitch54
                            • Apr 2006

I'm a firm believer in that cables can and do make a difference, but I don not subscribe to the ludicrous $$ that many of the "Vendors" charge. I say "vendors" because very few actually make the cable, most are mearly assemblers / marketing magicians, IMO.

Cables, weather they be IC's or speaker are components with properties of resistence, inductance, and capacitence. Yes there are logical and synergistic approaches to matching said cables with ones components and speakers, and it can be EASILY done at affordable prices.

My choices are a mix of Cat cables, DH Labs, Signal cable, and DIY.

10-15% is more than adequete for cabling, beyond that is pure nonesense, again....IMO.
                            Dave

Comment

• joetama
                              • May 2006

I am of the opinion that cables make a difference. Right now I am running Nordost, Straightwire, and a few of my own custom cables.

I find DIY cables have the highest value, they still can be a bit expensive but in reality their price is nothing compared to a lot of manufactured cables.
                              -Joe

Comment

• wettou
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • May 2006

Originally posted by joetama
                                I find DIY cables have the highest value, they still can be a bit expensive but in reality their price is nothing compared to a lot of manufactured cables.
                                Ever tried these:

SC-16: Solid Silver 16 Strand Speaker Braid
                                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• joetama
                                  • May 2006

Nope I've never tried those.

But, they have some neat stuff on there.
                                  -Joe

Comment

• joetama
                                    • May 2006

Just curious which you guys think is better, spades or banana plugs?

I've heard arguments for both.
                                    -Joe

Comment

• twitch54
                                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by joetama
                                      Just curious which you guys think is better, spades or banana plugs?

I've heard arguments for both.

Classic answer........."it depends" !

but the truth is whatever provides the largest most secure mechanical connection. If one tends to change cables, move speakers about, etc then the spades makes sense. but if you "hook 'em up and leave 'em" then high quality bananas are fine.

Of course there is always locking bananas as well, trouble is they usually add another mechanical connection, can one get locking bananas as a termination without going through spades first ??
                                      Dave

Comment

• Hdale85
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2006

I was questioning this same thing before and ended up going with banana's. As long as you have like locking banana's then they are both going to have about the same connection tension.

Comment

• joetama
                                          • May 2006

I think I'm going to get myself some banana terminals that lock and try them out.
                                          -Joe

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"