X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • willng24
    • Aug 2005

Rear speakers sound faint

Hey All,

Had some great advice about a Logitech Harmony 880 Universal remote. Hopefully the experts can tackle this one. I finally have my 5.1set up. However, the rear speakers sound a bit weak. I thought I had the speakers connected incorrectly, but everything seems to be in check. I have the following specs:

Denon AVR 2803 reciever
    Mirage Omnisat micro speakers.

I realized that this stuff is a bit overkill for the roomsize I'm trying to fill (12x15), but any advice will be greatly appreciated.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Have you calibrated your system with an SPL meter and either a setup disc or your units internal test tones?
    Jason

Comment

• willng24
      • Aug 2005

Thanks for the feedback. I will try the test tones tonight. thanks.

Could you provide more info to what an SLP meter is?

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

SPL (Sound Pressure Level) meters tell you in decibels how loud your speakers are playing. Used in conjunction with test tones or a set-up DVD, you can accurately set the volume levels of each speaker to be the same at your main seating location. Your HT receiver has the capability to set each level individually. Also, most receivers and pre/pros have the ability to set speaker distance values for each speaker so that the sound arrives at the listening position from each channel at the same time.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• willng24
          • Aug 2005

Thanks for the advice and it worked perfectly.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Glad to hear :T
            Jason

Comment

• Adz
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by willng24
              Thanks for the advice and it worked perfectly.
              And you may want to try out making your surround speakers 2-3 dBs louder than your front mains. If you are into big blockbuster movies, I find it enhances the experience of surround sound envelopment most of the time. But keep your sub callibrated at the same level as the mains.
              Adz

Comment

• Snap
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2005

:agree: That does help out. For my system I have the mains and the surrounds the same but I bumped my center chan up 1 or 2 DB so that my wife does not say " I can't hear the voices" Which is what she said when they were all level.
                my 02 cents
                The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• Adz
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Snap
                  :agree: That does help out. For my system I have the mains and the surrounds the same but I bumped my center chan up 1 or 2 DB so that my wife does not say " I can't hear the voices" Which is what she said when they were all level.
                  my 02 cents
                  Once in awhile I need to do that but I find the key with the center channel is all about positioning - making sure the drivers are aiming directly into the listener (at ear level) so if its on top of a TV above the listener, angle it down; and likewise; if its below the listener, angle it up towards him/her. The difference is really startling. Less reflection is part of it.
                  Adz

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Also, on the center-channel it is an extremely good idea to physically separate it from the TV cabinet whether by a small iso stand like Lovan's Director (if on top of an RPTV) or a full blown one if it's below the screen (to get it off the floor or whatever it's resting on). This will definitelly clean up any boxiness or muffling of the dialog.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Snap
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Feb 2005

Yeah I have a shelf that I got at Lowes that is right above the TV. My RPTV stand does not have a place for center Chan Speakers. I also propped the back of the center chan speaker to angle down towards the sofa. The shelf was only 9.95 at lowes and it is finished white. I have it hung on the wall so that you can not even see the shelf looking straight at the TV. Works out pretty nice I think.
                      The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• willng24
                        • Aug 2005

right rear speaker of a 5.1 sounds fainth

No clue how to fix this, but hopefully the experts here can give me some advice. My right rear speaker of a 5.1 setup sounds week. I'm working with a Denon 2803 receiver and Mirage Omni Sat speakers. I've switched speakers around and switched wires hoping it was a simple fix, but no luck.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"