B & W HomeTheater Speaker Decisions, Help please..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • D L
    • Aug 2005

B & W HomeTheater Speaker Decisions, Help please..

I can't buy all the speakers at one time, I will be buying all this stuff over the period of 1 yr. I've narrowed it down to 2 setups. What do you guys think and/or recommend? Thanks

I have these components already:

Yamaha RX-V2095 receiver, http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...5receiver.html

Velodyne FSR-12 , 12 Inch servo controlled sub
    Amplifier 120 watts RMS 265 watts peak, Class A/B
    Driver 12" with 9/16" linear travel
    Voice Coil 2.5" diameter
    Magnet 91 oz. (5.7 lbs.)
    Cone Reinforced fiber
    High Pass Passive 80/100 Hz, 6 dB/octave slope
    Low Pass Active-Adj., 40 to 120 Hz
    Frequency Response 20-120 Hz , ±3 dB
    Distortion Less than 1%, 20 Hz @ 104 dB

1st
    Front Left DM604 S3 or DM603 S3
    Center LCR600 S3
    Front Right DM604 S3 or DM603 S3
    Rerar Left DM604 S3 or DM603 S3
    Rear Right DM604 S3 or DM603 S3

2nd
    Front Left CM 4
    Center CM C
    Front Right CM 4
    Rear left CM 4
    Rear Right CM 4
    Last edited by D L; 24 August 2005, 08:16 Wednesday.
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

I'd say try to go for the 700 or 800 series, just get the speakers you can when you can.

Honestly, I don't think the CM series is any step up over the 600 series.

I'd probably change choice one to go with 604s up from, LCR600 center, and then do 602 x 4 for the surround (since I believe the rx-v2095 is a 7.1 receiver?)... that would work better and save you some good money.

The 602s and 604s sound identical.

I still suggest maybe going for something like the 805s for Left & Right for now and then working on getting other speakers in the 800 series.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Whichever sounds better to YOUR ears and is the best value in YOUR opinion
      Jason

Comment

• BlazeMaster
        • May 2004

unless your room is really big, I don't think you'll be needing 604s as surrounds. Personally, I'd also save up and get the 700s instead of the 600s. I started out with 600s and eventually upgraded to the 700s in about a year and I liked the 700s much better for music and movies soundtracks. It's still not there yet, musically, compared to the 800s, but it does very very well for someone that listens to mostly movies like me. Go and have a listen and see if the 700s are worth the additional money, if not, get the 602s all around and save the extra cash for a awesome sub. Good luck.

Comment

• jimmyp58
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

First, I'd determine your budget. Then to Jason's point, I'd go for a listen to determine what YOU like. Who knows, you may like the less expensive setup then you could invest the extra dollars in another tweak that could enhance the overall performance of your setup.
          jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• theMaximus
            • Jul 2004

If you have money for 4 DM604s, you would be better off with 704s for the front two, HTM7 for center and either 601 or 602 for the surrounds. Unless you have a gigantic room, four 604s would be an overkill. IMO, it would be better to have small speakers for a big room than to have speakers that are too big for your listening environment.
            Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

• jim777
              • Mar 2005

BTW it may be hard to get new CM series, I heard that they are no more...

PewterTA gave his opinion, my humble one is that CM's are a big step over the 600 series, but I got 700 series in a final stretch to 703's.

I don't like the 700 series center and it doesn't blend with the 703 anyway.

But a good suggestion was given by Maximus (704s). Beware, they take more time to break in. You don't need identical speakers if most of your use is HT.

Comment

• D L
                • Aug 2005

The 703's are rated at 1000 watts. Will my Yamaha receiver be underpowered for the 704's or 703's?

What's a good price for the 703's or 704's? I could go with the 700 series, it will just take me a little longer to buy all the speakers I need. I don't really have a budget, but I don't want to spend more then 3 - 4 K, maybe up to 5K, total on speakers. When I bought the reaciver and the sub, they were just released. I paid $1,200 for the receiver, List $1,695 and I think $800 -900 for the sub, List 1,300. It's been about 4-5 years since I bought the amp and the sub, they are still in the factory box, unopened. I started building a house about the same time I started to build a home theater system and it took a lot more money to build the house then I thought, so I dropped the Home Theater stuff for a long period of time.

I want the system for music and Home theater, trying to get a good balance without paying 15 k for a system. I could spend it, but I would be strapped. lol

About a year ago, I was told I can buy the DM603 S3 for $925.00 a pair, List $1,000. The LCR600 S3 for $450, List $500 from my local B&W shop. I didn't have them price the 604's or 700 series.

The B&W book I have is from 2003, I haven't checked in the stores to see what's available anymore( CM's???) . I have my old notes from 2-3 years ago that I just started looking at again.

Just trying to do some research before I go shopping.. :B

Thanks for your inputs :T
                Last edited by D L; 24 August 2005, 07:51 Wednesday.

Comment

• bigburner
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

D L, the 703's are rated at 50W – 200W into 8Ω on unclipped programme.

I personally wouldn't go for 604 S3's around. Too many unnecessary woofers. If your Velodyne sub is any good then 603 S3's all round, or 603 S3's at the front and 602 S3's at the rear, should be more than enough.

I have CDM 9NT's which are 3-way floorstanders like the 703's and 604 S3's. With a good sub I reckon that the second woofer is just unnecessary.

Go to http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/...on/global.main and see what's available.

Comment

• D L
                    • Aug 2005

bigburner,

Thanks, I clicked on the link and the site says 704's 50W – 150W into 8Ω on unclipped programme and the 703's as 50W – 200W into 8Ω on unclipped programme like you said.

The Velodyne sub has a built-in 120 watts RMS 265 watts peak amplifier. It is supposed to be a real good sub.

I selected the 1950 «» 4680 USD range from the B&W website for Home Theater.

They listed the DM602 S3, DM603 S3, DM604 S3, and CM 4 for front speakers and matching rear speakers.

I have a 2003 Brochure. Your right, I was looking at the power handling specs for the Signature/Nautilus 800's. The 2003 book I have lists the power handling for 703's as 200W and 704's 150W.

Website says $1,500 for each 703 speaker and $1,100 for each 704 speaker?

thanks
                    Last edited by D L; 24 August 2005, 19:16 Wednesday.

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

Well here's my thinking on all this and why I suggested what I did...

The CM and 700 series, while a step over the 600s aren't as dramatic as the step from the CM/700s to the 800s. So for me, why spend the money on a middle point if/when one knows they are going to end up at the 800 series... Spend less now, get good entry level HI-FI speakers and save the money towards really good speakers like the 800 series. Then you only have to replace what speakers you can, when you can. Like pick up a set of 805s and use them as your fronts and sell your back speakers...Move the old fronts back, When you pick up the new mains (something like 803 or 802s) and then move the 805s to the back and sell your old 600 mains you had. Then later replace the center.

It's all about taking steps...and I just think it's a little more "extra" money to be trying to start out at the 700 series when you can be happy with the 600s, not spend the money, then put that extra money into the 800s.

Any route you go though... you're going to really enjoy the sound.

Heck I know I'm happy with my 600s till I can get my 800Ds...
                      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                      -Dan

Comment

• sikoniko
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

the problem you will run into as you go up the range is that you need clean power to drive the speakers. If your budget allows for 3-4k, I say go for HTM4 ($1300), 2x805s ($2500) and whatever you have left can go towards the rear speakers. 303s ($300) maybe. = $4100 - 10% dealer discount = $3690 + taxes.

You can always upgrade the amp later. I ran 805's off of a rotel 1055 and was happy. of course that is the top end of your budget...
                        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• kalihi
                          • Aug 2005

I just purchased my first serious high-end HT system and below is my setup:

Power: Rotel RSX-1056 $1,300
                          Front: B&W DM603 S3 $1,000/pr
                          Center: B&W LCR600 S3 $500
                          Rear: B&W DM601 S3 $400
                          Sub: Velodyne 3750 $600

I must say that it rocks for both HT and music. The 5.1 HT setup is truly amazing with the clarity in both highs and lows. The sub gives it a punch that will get your heart pounding and the center channel makes the movie come to life! All for under $4,000.

Comment

• csuzor
                            • Nov 2004

Go with the 7 series (704, 705), at your price point you won't regret it, and you can live with them for years to come, and still spend money on additional components. For the center speaker though, take your time, you may prefer to get a HTM2 or HTM4s rather than the HTM7.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"