X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • b&w fan
    • Feb 2006

amplifier matching DM604 S3

I am just getting into more sophisticated home stereo sound and the variety of choices I am facing now is overwhelming!!!. At this stage I would like to get your thoughts concerning the best amplifier (or receiver) for my B&W DM604 S3 (I bought first the speakers to set the level, I plan to get everything else accordingly).

They are going to be used for playing music, mostly latin, jazz, classic once for a while, but most frequently lots of metals and percussion. The room where they are is 15 m long (45 feet) x 5 m width (15 ft) and some 3.5 m tall (10 feet). At the moment they are conected to an old receiver which is going to be soon replaced.

Although I like to play music at high volume, I dont want to buy unnecessary or excessive power that could not be optimally handle by the speakers (they are rated 25W-200W). For detailed specs please click on this shortcut:

My questions are:

1. How much do you think is the minimum power I should buy to drive them?

2. According to your experience and the knowledge you have accumulated concerningn B&W speakers, have any suggestion regarding best matching brand name amplifiers?

3. Should I go for an amp/pre amp configuration or a receiver will do the job? Is an amp/pre amp configuration a bit too much for these speakers?

Right now I am thinking about expending around $1500, maybe a bit more if having a good reason.

Thank you very very much, your help will be greatly appreciated.
  • drsiebling
    • Jan 2006

I think that given your budget of $1500, there is no better receiver to match with the B&W 604 than the Rotel RSX-1056. Rotel and B&W are extremely well matched. The RSX-1056 will also give you the option of upgrading at a later date to a separate power amp for the front speakers if you should decide that you need more power up front. Rotels are extremely efficient and unlike most receivers on the market, their power ratings are very conservative. You should be able to find one new for $1500 or better and they are readily available on the used market for $1000 or so.

Comment

• nikos
      • Dec 2005

I just bought the whole 600 series myself. Patiently awaiting delivery this Friday
      ( DM604's s3, LCR600 and DS6). I'm adding later on a Velodyne DD12.
      I'm probably 60/40 music/video.
      For amp I've been mostly decided on a Rotel 1077.
      Its 7x100 and I'll bi-amp the fronts with it.
      I started off looking at the 1075 and now since I'm holding off on the receiver until the whole HDMI and HD sounds get figured out... I thought I might splurge on the amp. I'm actually getting an incredible deal on it, so its making my decision making easier.

I'm not going to have the 1077 for a couple weeks, but will be able to report my findings at that point.

Since you're main concern is music a 2 ch amp might be a better option.
      Separates is the way to go and makes upgrade easier.
      As mentioned Rotel is a perfect match for B&W.
      In every testimony I've read the 1068 way outclasses the 1056 in musicality.
      I know you mention $1500.........

If you buy Rotel from the same dealer you got your speakers you should be able to get him to give you atleast a 20% discount :W
      My budget for an amp wasn't incredibly higher than yours.....

Plus your B&W dealer most likely carries Rotel, so you can demo some setups and hear them for yourself. I listened to the 604's on a Rotel 1075 and was sold.

I'm really interested to see what other have to say about this as well as I still haven't placed my 1077 order and I'm kinda exactly where you are....

Good luck,

Nick
      Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC

Comment

• Paul51
        • Nov 2005

I agree with Drsiebling RSX-1056would do the job.I have a 1056 with BW 602 and the dealer I bought from discounted the Rotel better than 20% and was Happy.Good luck Paul

Comment

• b&w fan
          • Feb 2006

Curious ...

Boys, but RSX-1056 is poweful enough?. I read in the internet that it only goes up to 75 watts per channel ...

Comment

• Nolan B
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2005

watts can be decieving. for example 75 rotel watts to me sounds like 200 denon watts.

Comment

• b&w fan
              • Feb 2006

I think you prefer Plinius but are unwilling to admit it!

I will listen to a Plinius 9100 integrated amplifier connected to a CDM9NT tomorrow.

According to what I have read in Audioreviews Plinius seems to me a better amplifier than Rotel. Unfortunately I can not listen to Rotel in the same set up and simultaneously as for me to make a complete judgement.

On the other hand, the responses I got in this forum are either ambivalent or so timidly favoring Rotel that make believe that you actually prefer Plinius but are unwilling to admit it ...

Comment

• Djas_Puhr
                • Jun 2005

Hey B&W fan, excellent choice of speaker!

I don't know how much you can stretch your budget, but I think you should seriously consider the Krell KAV-400xi (200/400 Watts into 8/4 Ohms). It retails at $2500 USD, but there are five of them available on audiogon right now with prices ranging from $1650 to $1999. Sonically, I think this Krell would be in a totally different league to the Rotel gear mentioned above (more power, better control, cleaner sound), although it does only stereo.

A little while ago, I switched preamps from the Rotel RSP-1066 to the Krell KAV-280p (similar in design to the 400xi). I must say that "everything" was better. It was a much cleaner, more musical sound. Things like guitar, drums, cymbals (instruments with sharp transients) benefitted most, I feel. Also, the bass got tighter, deeper, resulting in better impact and realism/imaging.

If you're mostly doing stereo listening right now I would suggest forgoing the multichannel RSX-1056 in favour of the stereo krell. In combination with your new 604s3's, we're talking about an *awesome* sounding setup! Later, if you want to go to a surround setup you don't have to get rid of the krell. It has a feature that I've found very useful in my 280p called "theater throughput." Basically you set one of the inputs on the back of the Krell to bypass the 400xi's preamp section. In this mode the 400xi acts only as a 200W poweramp. You could run a surround processor's Left/Right pre-out to the Krell and have it amplify those channels.

The KAV-400xi has been professionally reviewed a few times. Give these a read if you're interested.

Krell KAV-400xi Integrated Amplifier By Alvin Gold, Superior Audio Magazine is the leading authority in high-end audiophile music and audio equipment reviews.

Hope to hear back about what you think.

Regards,

Mj (Mike)
                "Don't mock the speakers... They have you surrounded." :

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"