X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Penningtonsm
    • Jan 2005

Panasonic AE 700 and HDTV??

Hi guys, I just got my HDTV installed from Directv onto my Panasonic AE 700. I havent had the chance to play with it much (had to run off to work) but before I left I noticed that the technician didnot use my hdmi port on my projector. I thought this was the port onto which HDTV was supposed to be going. Does anyone else have the panny hooked up to hdtv that might be able to help me out? Much appreciated.

Steve
  • Uncle Clive
    Former Moderator
    • Jan 2002

Was there a HDMI cable available to him?

RGB can be used for HD but HDMI is way better. (Uncompressed data)
    CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Penningtonsm
      • Jan 2005

I dont think he had an HDMI cable with him. The reciever has a HDMI input and do does my projector. I just don't understand how you can project high definition without using the HDMI source. Help...anyone

Comment

• Uncle Clive
        Former Moderator
        • Jan 2002

Well before HDMI came out, units were fed HD material via component video and many still do. Reading the specs on your panny it would seem that HDMI that would be the input to use on this unit. So it's simple, you will have to purchase the cable and set it up yourself. :T
        CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• AndrewM
          • Oct 2000

RGB can be used for HD but HDMI is way better. (Uncompressed data)
          RGB is uncompressed data as well, it's just analog instead of digital. The improvement comes from not having to make extra D/A-A/D steps in the process.

HD signals can be carried over component video as well as HDMI/DVI. Perhaps the confusion is in regards to future HD devices that will require some type of encryption over digital connections such as HDCP.

Regardless, if the installed hooked it up with a "VGA cable", HDMI/DVI or component cable you are most likely getting the HD source. If he used S-video or composite then you are not.

Andrew

Comment

• Penningtonsm
            • Jan 2005

Yeah he used a S-video. Would getting a HDMI cable make the picture any better? I looked at them at the store today and they can get quite expensive, seeing how I need at least eight feet. Don't really want to invest in the cable if its not going to make a difference, but if It will then I'll get it.

Comment

• AndrewM
              • Oct 2000

I'm not sure what other inputs you're using on the projector nor what source box you have, but you are not getting the HD signal from the box from S-video (you're getting a 480i signal). So yes using the HDMI, VGA or component input (Basically any of the HD inputs) will likely improve things quite a bit. If the HDMI is a bit pricey and your HD box has component out you can give that a shot instead (the difference between HDMI and component will be fairly small compared to the SD vs HD difference).

Andrew

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"