X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Sone ES3000 still a good buy?

I have a local store that has last years Sony ES3000 on a demo price of C$788 or about US$650.

I figure if I don't like the digital amps, I can always run it as a pre/pro and make use of my HK PA5800!

Why I like this unit.
    • Digital Amps
    • DTS(which I don't have right now), ES and PL II
    • Upconvert to component
    • 7.1 preouts
    • RS-232 interface
    • It's a Sony ES Unit
    • adjustable crossovers for speakers in 10 Hz increments, 40 - 160 Hz
    • learning remote

There is a few more likes of this receiver that I don't have off the top of my head, but I have the manual at home.

Price is an issue, as well as bringing home a new receiver when I don't 'really' need one. I need to 'get rid' of one receiver before I bring home another.

I don't know what else is out there these days.

I have an old Yamaha 595 with Energy eXL16 speakers for my HT setup. This is the old Yamaha which people felt were too bright for their liking, but I don't mind it. I find it very detailed.

My speaker positioning is not ideal, and I know the Sony has positioning adjustments as well.

So what else is out there in the sub C$800 or US$650 range that will give me some great bang for buck?

Also note that one of my must have is pre-outs for min 5.1!
    Last edited by P-Dub; 04 August 2005, 13:29 Thursday.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

If you don't need the amps, maybe see if you can find a used pre/pro Rotel/Outlaw etc on Audiogon/Canuck Audio Mart...?

Otherwise I'd say you could probably do better with a Yamaha/Denon or maybe Pioneer Elite....?
    Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2001

It lacks PLIIX and HDMI which is coming in that price range.
      If you can wait for atleast 6 months, you can get a significantly better receiver(in terms of features) for the same money.

Right now, the Pioneer 1015tx is better. It also has a room EQ which the Sony doesn't have. An HK 635 can be found for CLOSE to that price. Onecall and J&R had them for $700US just recently.

Keep in mind I own an ES receiver right now. I do like it but I know they moved away from the digital amps just this year. It was a trial that failed for them. You might also search audioreview to see what kind of reviews you see. I had heard about some major QC issues they have.

To get this feature:
      Upconvert to component

You'll need to buy new for a pre pro if you go that route. The ones you would find in your price range won't.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Even a new Yamaha RXV657Ti/B seems to be in that price range with better features including their YPAO room correction PLIIx etc.

Jason

Comment

• P-Dub
          Office Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Wow, I am out of touch!

I don't know, my wife might like you guys.

Do you know if the Yamaha has changed to an adjustable crossover? I know the old units and most of the later ones had a 90 Hz crossover.

Hot damn, they have adjustable, 40, 60, 80, 90, 100, 110, 120, 160, 200.

How much are the Yamaha's?
          Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

I saw that model online for just under $700Ca so you should be able to get it for just above that in store and brand new
            Jason

Comment

• P-Dub
              Office Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Hmm, lots of options. I think I'll have to do some auditioning soon. Time to find my CD's, or should I say unpack my CD's.

I probably will have to look at the Denon's and Pioneers and Marantz as well.

This should be fun!
              Paul

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"