X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philly boy
    • Jul 2005

new rb1070 owner needs speaker advice

Recently upgraded my system to RC 1070 and RB 1070. Want to upgrade speakers. What would be a good economical choice but still get big, refined sound? Budget from $1,000 - $3,000. Also bought the RT 1080 for Sunday afternoon radio show that plays the best doo wop this side of the Mississippi. Speakers must fill large listening area. Thanks guys.
  • thyname
    • Jan 2005

B&W 703s, right at the upper part of your price range.

I you want to save some money, you can get Axiom M60s (just like I did) or even better M80s. (900 and 1240 per pair respectively)

Comment

• comeup
      • Jul 2005

I don't know what the Axiom speakers sound like, but I heard they sound very good for the money I just hate that you can't audition them. I like the B&W 703s, B&Ws are such a good match with Rotel. You also might want to try the B&W 604s the big ones if your trying to fill a large room. At 1500 a pair you get big speakers, big bass, and good detail sound at a very good price.
      Blake

Comment

• thyname
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by comeup
        I don't know what the Axiom speakers sound like, but I heard they sound very good for the money I just hate that you can't audition them. .
        Actually you CAN audition Axioms, just like I did before I purchased my M60s. you can visit This thread on Axiom message board for more info. Or you can post something there including you state/city and see if somebody will chime in.

Originally posted by comeup
        I like the B&W 703s, B&Ws are such a good match with Rotel. You also might want to try the B&W 604s the big ones if your trying to fill a large room. At 1500 a pair you get big speakers, big bass, and good detail sound at a very good price
        I did not like B&W 6xx series too much, too laid back for my tastes. Different story with 703, it rocked!!! I also liked the 805s even though bookshelves. The dealer I purchased my Rotel from, has B&W as well.

Comment

• audiofan
          • May 2004

With your price range, I would go with Totem Forrest. Sound wonderful. Mind you that i own Axiom M60 and it's a good speaker for the money.

Comment

• miner
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by philly boy
            Recently upgraded my system to RC 1070 and RB 1070. Want to upgrade speakers. What would be a good economical choice but still get big, refined sound? Budget from $1,000 - $3,000. Also bought the RT 1080 for Sunday afternoon radio show that plays the best doo wop this side of the Mississippi. Speakers must fill large listening area. Thanks guys.
            I also have the same pre/amp as you. My listening room is 25' x 30' x 12' and I use B&W804N that i bought a few months ago for $1400 each WITH tax. You may be able to find some leftover Nautilus series for a steal. After breakin I am very happy with these speakers. Good bass, although not deep ( I was coming from Polk Audio RT-20p with built in subs - 2 8" per speaker). The soudstage is incredible. I was going to get the 703 first until my dealer offered me the 804N at a substantial savings. Big difference in sound between the two. BTW, I am very happy with my setup, may add another RB-1070 to biamp the speakers with. I do highly recommend biwiring your speakers. www.impactaccoustics.com has affordable biwire.

Comment

• Kens1
              • Mar 2005

I second the Totem Forest - awesome speakers for pretty much all types of music. I even auditioned them with hip hop and they still stayed composed at louder volumes even with the bass.

Comment

• lvhung
                • Jun 2005

Dyna 42 but you need very good cables all around.

Comment

• jim777
                  • Mar 2005

I have 703's, but I would suggest that you try CM4, CM6 or 704; because the 703's didn't sound good when I listened to them with the RC1070/RB1070 combo (and a 1072 CDP). I already made a few posts explaining my listening of 600 series up to the 703's so you might search for those comments too...

Comment

• philly boy
                    • Jul 2005

Return serve

Good recomendations guys. I am primarily looking for sound that emphasises the mids and highs, not too big on booming base. Quick clean base is all that I want. At my dealer, I listened to the Klipsch RF7s, the B&W 804s, and 704s. Don't know if I liked the horn on the Klipsch or not, the B&W's sounded good. Dealer is recommending the 703s, but did not have in show room. The Axiom M60s suggested might be a good choice (I love the price), wish there was an easy way to listen to them. Now, my Rb 1070 is just 130wpc, will that be enough for the speakers that have been mentioned. My gut feeling is that it wouldn't be enough into 4 ohms of some of the options out there. I am new to this, so any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

• thyname
                      • Jan 2005

RB1070 would be more than enough with any of those speakers. Will they be better with RB1080? Probably. I upgraded my rb1070 with RB1080 with my Axiom M60s, simply because I did not want to have buyers' remorse later, and the bug bothering me. Now I feel all set!!

Comment

• rhoffman000
                        • Sep 2004

Check out Joseph Audio. If you can stretch to the RM25's I'd highly recommend it (outperformed the 8-10 other speakers I auditioned in this price range...and some above like the B&W 803). Or, save yourself some money and check out the RM22's.

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

B&W's that were already mentioned, Totem's also mentioned... I'd also have a listen to some Energy's (Connoisseurs and Veritas) Kef's, PSB's, Paradigms, Vienna Acoustics...
                          Jason

Comment

• Crazed
                            • Sep 2004

I would suggest the Gallo Reference 3s. Well broken in, even without the bass amp, mine are solid down low, with excellent mids and highs.

Comment

• audiofan
                              • May 2004

I forgot to mention that Aerial 6 or 7B is great speaker too, very solid build but it 's only good for Rock or Rap music type , IMO.

I auditioned side by side between Totem Forrest and Aerial 6, i liked Totem better. Price is a bit spicy, but if you're willing to buy used speaker, you may be able to find one on audiogon.com

Anyway, good luck with your search. Let us know what you think of whichever speaker you choose.

Comment

• philly boy
                                • Jul 2005

Thanks for all of the replys. This has given me several options that I was unaware of. Because I am apprehensive in ordering without listening, I will probably buy locally. In El Paso there is not a lot of Hi-Fi competition, but my dealer does sell B&W. I realize that with B&W, the more you pay the better the sound. Maybe I should save more and go with the 804s. My wife thinks our old Bose 901s sound fine, but I know there is more sound out there than what we are hearing. I must save more, don't like to charge. Again thanks for all the input.-----Philip

Comment

• The_A_V_Guy
                                  • Jul 2005

before you do anything look at Vandersteen Model 2Ce Signatures or if you can afford 3500 go for the Model 3A's. go to vandersteen.com and they have some reviews posted there as well. You will really want to go in and listen to them and you will be truly amazed.

Comment

• shep
                                    • Dec 2004

If thinking about B&W704, then compare to 804

I also have the Rotel RB1070 with the RC1070, driving B&W 804s. I originally bought the N804 as store demos about eight months ago, and recently traded up to the new 804s. Noticable difference, but the difference between the 700 series and the 800 series is night and day. If you cannot go above $3000, then look for demo N804. I listen mostly to jazz and classical and this is a very nice set-up for critical listening.

Comment

• philly boy
                                      • Jul 2005

Thanks again for all of the replys. I went to the Vandersteen web site and they are very impressive looking. Also, the B&W 804s maybe the way I eventually go. Bottom end of the 800 series would be the most economical and still beyond the 700's sound. As I said before, must save and pay cash. You guys are such a help. ---Philip

Comment

• aud19
                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2003

As nice as those B&W's are (and they are ) MAKE SURE you also listen to as many of the othr brands mentioned as possible :T You don't want to hear some Totem's/Energy Verita's/Vandersteens'd etc 6 months after buying and start asking yourself why you didn't listen to/buy them instead
                                        Jason

Comment

• philly boy
                                          • Jul 2005

Labor Day weekend I was able to audition the Vandersteen line of speakers. Boy, I was impressed. The 2ce signatures were very good, especially at their price point($1549), but what blew me away were the 3A signatures. The 3A sig's, price at $3495, gave the fullest, real-life sound and made me feel that the music was being performed right in front of me. After a week of debating which speakers to order, I placed the call. Now, I am the very proud owner of the Vandersteen 3A signatures. Thanks to all that responded to my original post, and though I was unable to listen to all of the models suggested, I looked into each one. A special thanks to The A V Guy for leading me to these heavenly sounding speakers. Thanks guys, from another happy music lover------Philip

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"