X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • george_k
    • Jan 2004

Get a 2-ch or 5-ch amp on same budget?

I have a budget of about $1600 USD and I'm looking to buy an amplifier. I've been reading reviews and what not for the past couple of weeks.

I have just a 2-channel setup for now and I find that my receiver just doesn't get the room loud enough for me to hear the dialog properly. Should I put this money into getting a better 2ch amp or the equivalent 5-ch amp (which will probably be inferior in quality).

I will still need to buy a center channel, sub and replace the existing rear speakers at a later date.

On my shopping list so far:

Anthem Statement A2
    Rotel RB-1080, RMB-1075 (I'm a little concerned about build quality)

Any other recommendations that wouldn't exceed the budget?
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Interesting choices. For me I might lean towards the 1075 and simply bi amp the fronts for now. The 1080 is more powerful but the 1075's a solid workhorse of an amp that's never had any issues with it unlike the 1080.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

My 1075's been rock solid :T (Knock on wood!)
      Jason

Comment

• junior77blue
        • Nov 2004

What are you using for a reciever? 2 ch or multi-channel?

I wouldn't spend the money on an amp just yet. I would first get the speakers (biggest 'bang' for the buck). Then a 5 channel amp will be just fine for movies and music. You can always get an additional 2 ch amp if you enjoy pure stereo music listening and have yoursel and NICE 7 channel setup for movies.

As far as brands...there are quite a few...

adcom, parasound, rotel, b&k, krell, classe, anthem, bryston, sunfire...and many more!

Comment

• eddiem67
          • Jun 2004

For 1600 you can get a Parasound Classic 5125, there is a review on the 5250 in home theater review. This should work for you.
          My Car Audio

Comment

• spyboy
            • Jun 2005

george_k

You can hear everything else properly, just not the dialogue in a 2 channel set-up? Who knows what is going on with that. With a 2 channel set-up, you simply can't elevate the center a few db to get the dialogue clarity you need.

Ideally, you would run the center at the same level as the other speakers in a multi-channel setup. However, many people raise the level of the center from 1 to 3 db precisely because the dialogue can be hard to hear clearly.

A more poweful 2 channel amp may just make everything but the dialogue too loud. If your premise is wrong you are going to be very disappointed.

Why not get the center channel, use your existing surrounds and see if that does not cure your problem before you go spending a bunch of mony on any amp?

Comment

• george_k
              • Jan 2004

spyboy,

You might be right, I could always buy a center channel and bump the center channel volume level up.

I find my current receiver, although powerful enough to play music at an excessive volume level, really lacks when it comes to movies due to the nature dynamic content. I really have to turn up the volume (knob is set to about 90% of the maximum volume level) to enjoy the movie at a comfortable volume level (as to hear the dialog). I haven't measured it with an SPL meter to see how this loud volume level is though.

I was thinking of focusing on building a really good 2.1 setup for now, what I still require is a sub and amplifier. Then slowly adding/replacing a center and surrounds in the future (the center and surround upgrades might take as much as a couple of years before I can afford them)

So that what brings me back to my original question. Do a buy a better quality 2ch amp for now since I won't be able to afford centers/surrounds for quite some time. Or do a buy 5ch amp at the same budget (which will be of lesser quality compared to the 2ch) and biwire for now.

Comment

• junior77blue
                • Nov 2004

Dumb question....but are you sure you're not trying to play a 5.1 channel signal into 2 speakers? Go into you DVD setup menu. Do me a favor, plug a speaker into the center channel output of the reciever....if you hear anything while watching a movie, then yes that's your problem.

If that's not the case....

Buying a 2 channel amp, WILL NOT SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM.

Buying a 5 channel amp, WITH NO MORE SPEAKERS WILL NOT SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM.

YOU NEED TO BUY A CENTER CHANNEL AND A 3/5 CHANNEL AMP.

Buy cheap speakers if you have too....and replace/ugrade as u go along.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"