X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dreamliner
    • Jul 2005

Problems connecting DVD Recorder to AV Receiver

I just picked up a Pioneer DVR-231 DVD recorder and I want to transfer some VHS material to DVD. My VCR is a Sony SLV-R1000 and I am using either Line Out 1 or 2 (not simultaneously). When I connect the RCA video connector to the front panel of the DVR-231 and then to my Pioneer VSX-D514 AV receiver's DVR/VCR IN I get no signal at all. Same thing if I use the S-video conections on the back of the DVR-231 (and SLV-R1000). If I connect the recorder directly to my Samsung TX-P2775H TV I can view the menu of the DVD recorder but I can't do anything other than navigate around the menu. It seems like the DVD recorder must (or should) be routed thru my AV receiver. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Here is a photo of the rear panel of my VSX-D514 AV receiver

• Snap
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2005

dreamliner,
    sounds like you just need to change your imputs. The easy way to do the transfer is simply hook the DVDR to your VHS. You just need to make sure that your DVDR is looking at the front imputs. I believe that it should be L2 for Pioneer DVDR. (Think that is what DVDR you said you had)

Just check to make sure that your DVDR is set to look at the imputs that you have conected. Happens all the time. You will need a monitor out conected to the DVDR so that you can see the menu.

Hope that this helps.

SNAP
    The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• Snap
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2005

and no you will not have to go through your reciever unless you want to.

Comment

• Dreamliner
        • Jul 2005

Thank you, Snap, for the recommendations. Once I, ahem, pulled my head out and decided to study the 231's manual I realised that I could hook it's output up directly to my AVR (DVR/VCR input) and the VCR to the DVDR's input. A bit of fiddling with the menu to setup and locate the Line 1 & 2 "inputs" on the 231 and I was in business.

Sadly, although the Pioneer DVR-231 is a fine DVD recorder I have decided to return it and look for a model with a hard drive. The 231 worked fine for my needs today, which needed no extensive editing, but many of my future S-VHS-tape-DVD transfers will need some fine tuning before finalising the disc(s). What are some recommendations in the under-$400 price bracket?

Thanks again for the help! :T

Comment

• Snap
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2005

The Pioneer stuff is going to be the best bang for the buck IMO. I have used several Pioneer DVD-R and have been satisfied with them. Put them in 2 church's so far. Also have put a Philips in a church. The Philips is well over the 400 and that is with out the HD. Panny makes some but I have not used them so I will not give them my vote.

I am not sure if you are going to be able to get a DVDR with HD for under 4 bills. More likely 450 or so.

Good Luck.

Comment

• Dreamliner
            • Jul 2005

I am considering the Toshiba RD-XS34. eCost (see link) has it for $378.94 + $1.99 FedEx Ground + $6.95 handling fee. 160 GB HDD, DVD-R & DVD-RAM compatible, and lots more that I can't remember right now b/c I just started looking at DVD recorders. I think it has FireWire also.

Toshiba page for the RD-XS34.

I have also read about the Pioneer DVR-533H/633H at AVS Forum but it does not seem to be released here yet. At least the Pioneer site does not show it.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"