X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonathanb3478
    • May 2006

DIY projects and renter's/homeowner's insurance

So, it occurs to me that I will have a few thousand dollars of DIY speakers, and possibly another $1K in DIY amp(s) in the distant future.

I am thinking that, between all three of my systems, those numbers will be reached easily. It will take a bit, but I think it will happen.

So, I will be getting renter's insurance in November, when I switch car insurance companies. Lets say my apt complex goes down in a fire, and it is a total loss. I know I can get reimbersed for things like my LCD HD TV, but what about what I have spent on my DIY projects?

Any thoughts from anyone on this?

What about reimbersement for the "labor", since that will have to be replaced as well? :twisted:

Just something I got to thinking about recently, but I have no answers for myself.
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
    -Vernon Sanders Law
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

You have to work it out with your insurance company. You'll need to document materials cost, and you should have no trouble recovering that at the very least. Whether labor is covered is harder - they usually want an appraisal, and that can be tough to get (not to mention it may not be cheap). I'm still working out some of the details around this with my company - I have a lot of original artwork I have done over the years, and I can NOT get it all appraised - it would bankrupt me.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

Maybe you could have a friend of yours sell you your speakers on Ebay. Then you'll have a receipt from buying them to give the insurance company. Though, this would probably be considered fraud.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• jonathanb3478
        • May 2006

Originally posted by ---k---
        Maybe you could have a friend of yours sell you your speakers on Ebay. Then you'll have a receipt from buying them to give the insurance company. Though, this would probably be considered fraud.
        Hmm...

I think I will steer clear of felonies.

:E
        Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
        -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• dynamowhum
          • Aug 2006

Pictures of everything/anything of value is a good idea as well.I agree with C just approach your insurance company and see what they need.

Comment

• yousuredo2
            • Jun 2006

cain't you state a value for them, and insure them for that...?
            My System
            ~ BenQ w5000 DLP 1080p Projector
            ~ Sony Bravia SXRD KDS-60A3000
            ~ Onkyo tx sr805
            ~ Sony PS.3
            ~ Xbox 360
            ~ Natalie P's Main L/R
            ~ Polk Csi A6 -Center
            ~ Polk RTi6 Rears
            ~ Behringer ep2500
            ~ Behringer Fbq 2496

Comment

• Dennis H
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2002

Yup, pictures and save receipts for the drivers and XO parts. For the cabinets, if you happen to know a cabinetmaker, you could probably slip him a $20 bill to write a quick note on his stationery saying he has looked at your speakers and would charge approximately (not a firm bid, that takes too much of his time) $x labor and materials to replace what you have. It would take him 5 minutes and he'd have lunch money.

Comment

• cjd
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Dec 2004

Actually, getting a cabinet maker to appraise/value the cabinet is probably a great way to go. They may have an official fee, but you want it to be an official appraisal. That way it's not the electronics being rated, but the stuff that took the time (crossover design aside)

C

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by cjd
                  Actually, getting a cabinet maker to appraise/value the cabinet is probably a great way to go. They may have an official fee, but you want it to be an official appraisal. That way it's not the electronics being rated, but the stuff that took the time (crossover design aside)

C
                  This would take the place of the ~$200 receipt for the veneer and the materials cost, correct? I would just ask someone doing the appraisal to count materials cost, right? Or just labor for that appraisal, and my receipts for material cost?

When I ask for the insurance quote, I will run these questions by the agent. I suspect she has not had similar questions before, and I would like to be able to make specific suggestions/what ifs.

Thanks guys, excellent ideas.
                  -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• cjd
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Dec 2004

You want finished cabinet price. Assume you no longer have any desire to MAKE the cabinet, so you would actually use said builder. Add component cost to that (crossover parts, wire, terminals, drivers, feet, stuffing, etc.)

C

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"