802s damaged in move, anyone with experience with claiming insurance?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blazar
    • Feb 2004

802s damaged in move, anyone with experience with claiming insurance?

well the movers despite "professional" crating have completely demolished my nautilus 802 paintjobs.

I'm working on filling out a claim and I'm getting my ducks in order with several B&W dealers to write letters stating that these speakers cannot be replaced or repaired and that the suitable replacement would be 802D's.

I'm hoping that this all turns out for the better since the craters the movers work with were morons. Clearly it was negligence on their part.

Anyone have experience with these sorts of claims?
    Blazar!
    (HTPC/Panasonic SA-XR55/B&W 802D/HTM-1/SCMS)
  • junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

Best of luck...never had to deal with that.

Just for that reason I took delivery of the speakers in my own truck, unpacked them myself. Granted, it was a bear...

Keep us informed...i'm sure this isn't the first/last time this could happen.

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

I've sent you a PM.
      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• tdiciple
        • Nov 2005

Blazar,

Any news on what the results are?

Comment

• george_k
          • Jan 2004

Blazar,

Considering their value, I might even suggest going as far as seeking legal aid? If paying for an hour of two of consultation puts you in a better position to get your speakers replaced I think that's money well spent.

Comment

• Jeff
            • Dec 2004

I wouldn't seek legal advice yet. Allow the insurance mechanism to work first. You can always decline a settlement offer if you don't think it's fair.

On your homeowners insurance, you may have what's called guarenteed replacement cost. It's the furthest insurers will go in replacing what is lost or damaged.
            There may be some limitations or exclusions on your homeowners policy with the speakers being in the hands of professional movers.

The first source of restitution is the movers, then your insurance company. There is an appeal process if you don't like feel the settlement is fair within each of the above areas. Last, there is the legal approach. But they can't provide you with good legal advice until you exhaust your first two options.

Jeff

Comment

• Race Car Driver
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Oh man, best of wishes!
              I just moved this summer, and even though it was a 4 mile move, i made it very clear the 802s were my most prized posestion and that if one thing were NOT to get damaged, it would be these!
              Did the moving with family and was very scared moving the heavy mammoths.

Keep us updated.
              B&W

Comment

• RobP
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Blazar, hopefully your moving company has provisional insurance for this type of matter, some offer extra coverage as an option, whereas some offer no insurance at all unless you ask. Did you have coverage through the moving company?
                I would hold off on the throwing an attorney into the mix until you really need one, the mere mention of one will shut down the constructive communication between you and your movers.
                I used to used a few different moving companys to deliver sound racks that we built for movie theatres, a couple of times they did damage equipment and had to pay, they dont like to, and will deny responsibility so make sure that you have all of your ducks in a row, also pictures of how they were before they were shipped would be a asset in your corner.

Good Luck!
                Robert P
                Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• dan87951
                  • Nov 2005

802D's as sutible replacements? LOL sorry no offense but the insurance agency will laugh at you. 802D's MSRP is $12k your 802's were $8k exactly how are you going to explain to them that you deserve the 802D's? It sucks that your speakers got damaged but 802D’s as replacements? I'm sure your homeowners insurance will cover it but do what you have been doing such as having the dealer estimate the damages for repair or replacement. Unless you have declared value on your speakers more than likely you will probably get a check for MSRP minus depreciation minus your deductible. Wish the best on getting your speakers repaired or replaced. I would be furious as well..
                  dan87951
                  audio guru

Comment

• george_k
                    • Jan 2004

I didn't suggest that he slap them with a lawsuit right now. What I was trying to say was that he might gain by consulting with an attorney first to see what his options are to begin with (or basically find out what the rules of the game are at this point). It seems that Jeff's post would be the most logical initial course of action.

Comment

• dyazdani
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Oct 2005

I agree. Jeff listed things in the order I would follow as well.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone will agree that 802Ds are a suitable replacement. I would think the best you could do is to get the FMV of the N802s.

Went through this on a big amp that was damaged in shipping. The company basically paid for a new faceplate and a little repair work at the factory.
                      Danish

Comment

• Blazar
                        • Feb 2004

Well here is the final result:

They not only replaced my 802N's with 802D's but they let me keep the old 802N's (I guess too much trouble for them to sell the scratched units and ship them and whatnot).

It did take time and repeated emails though, but it finally worked out for me. They initially offered $1000 for repairs and stated that I could go and discuss the dispute in "arbitration". I said that there was no way I was going to go to arbitration for this type of negligence and that I would make it my goal in life to terminate the movers national contract with our institution. I paid a ton of money for insurance and for professional packaging and basically didn't take no for an answer.

The end result.... problem solved.
                        Blazar!

Comment

• miner
                          • Mar 2005

It took 5 months for them to settle with you?

Gives your impressions of 802N vs 802S

Comment

• Blazar
                            • Feb 2004

Originally posted by dyazdani
                            I agree. Jeff listed things in the order I would follow as well.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone will agree that 802Ds are a suitable replacement. I would think the best you could do is to get the FMV of the N802s.

Went through this on a big amp that was damaged in shipping. The company basically paid for a new faceplate and a little repair work at the factory.

Nobody asked you what YOU thought was a suitable replacement. The contract CLEARLY states that the damaged goods will be restored to FULL VALUE. FULL VALUE is obtainable if the damaged parts are replaced but I have no obligation to accept a "repair" of scratches. The scratched locations (cabinets and whatnot) had no replacement parts. The contract then states that replacement would be the CURRENT model most similar to the damaged item.... The contract says NOTHING about the replacement being of equal value by any stretch of the imagination.

Again, they shouldn't offer insurance if they don't have plans on paying claims. They should not have touched the speakers if they had a doubt about safe handling and transport. If they don't intend to repair to "FULL VALUE" like the department of transportation standard replacement policy states then they shouldn't being doing moving in the continental united states.

I paid $750 for insurance and $450 for crating and then whatever else for moving these speakers.... I have no intention of paying that much money and not having a job done right.

I have had my brand new car scratched at a car wash and they IMMEDIATELY paid the $2000 it took to repaint the entire side of the car without me having to sign any contracts or pay for any insurance.

My life insurance costs about $500 per year and covers about $1000000 in compensation.... the speakers were insured for more.
                            Blazar!

Comment

• Blazar
                              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by miner
                              It took 5 months for them to settle with you?

Gives your impressions of 802N vs 802S
                              It took about 3.5 months and multiple emails. I just noticed this thread again and decided to post the followup. The final deal was $9000 total in cash OR brand new speakers. Either way they were going to "salvage the old speakers". They never did salvage the old ones.

There is some company that buys direct from B&W, "insurer's world" or something that can get them considerably cheaper than retail.

In either case... the 802D do sound overall better than the 802N. Not differences "the wife can hear", but better overall high frequencies without being as harsh. better bass extension in my room. slightly better appearance. great stereo imaging. An overall better mixture of low, mid, and high frequencies... better crossovers?
                              Blazar!

Comment

• RobP
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Nov 2004

So what did you end up doing with your damaged speakers?
                                Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• tdiciple
                                  • Nov 2005

Can you post the picture of the damaged speaker, so we can at least see what the damaged was?

Comment

• miner
                                    • Mar 2005

Was the new 802D shipped directly to you or did you need to pick them up?

Comment

• Blazar
                                      • Feb 2004

802d was shipped direct. I have pictures of the damage but it's not so easy to see due to glare. They sent out appraisal guys to look at the damage in the end.

The damaged speakers I am using in another room. I've had offers of people wanting to buy them but it's not worth the time, money, or effort to attempt to sell them since they are still better speakers for another small room than I can otherwise find.
                                      Blazar!

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"