X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rolyasm
    • Dec 2004

10 vs. 12 bit DVD players?

What is the opinion on DVD players and bits? Is there a noticeable difference between 10, 12 or 14-bit video processing players? Is it a bigger difference with larger formats, like big screens or projection systems? I see there are different Mhz ratings as well. Thanks for the input.
    Roly
  • CJ Paul
    • Oct 2004

As with most things, its probably more about the implementation than the specs. At another forum I was reading comments about a new ~$3,500 Runco DLP. Its "only" 1024x576 vs. some of the new 720p DLPs that are out now for the same price and may be closer to $2000 in the next year. But, since its Runco and they have put their expertise into the product in other areas it supposedly looks really good despite the resolution spec. So, sorry I'm not more help, but that's pretty much how it works with this kind of thing.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

Rolyasm,

I did a careful comparison between by 10 bit Sony and my 8 bit Sony and you can see smother graduations in colour for expanses of similar colour - especially purer colours (e.g. blue backgrounds varying from lighter to darker). On the 10 bit this could show a few clear bands of change of colour, whereas on the 12 bit the banding you had to look really hard to see...

Geoff

Comment

• CJ Paul
        • Oct 2004

I did a careful comparison between by 10 bit Sony and my 8 bit Sony and you can see smother graduations in colour for expanses of similar colour - especially purer colours (e.g. blue backgrounds varying from lighter to darker). On the 10 bit this could show a few clear bands of change of colour, whereas on the 12 bit the banding you had to look really hard to see...
        I'm definately not trying to pick a fight, but unless the players where otherwise identicle, the test proves nothing. For example there are some "dual 12-bit" video DAC players out there at some reasonable prices that would have much poorer video quality than the Denon DVD-5910, which according to the Secrets website is 10 bit.

Comment

• Rolyasm
          • Dec 2004

Thanks for the replies. I doubt much in life is black or white and subjectiveness does play a role. The reason I was asking is My friend has a 10-bit Harman Kardon DVD 101 but I have an opportunity to buy him a 12-bit Pioneer Elite DVD 47Ai for a huge discount. He is using a 110" screen with BenQ projection. I told him I would ask around and see what all the experts thought. Might be a good enough deal that he would want to replace his H.K. with the Pioneer. Thanks.
          Roly

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

Rolyasm,
            Here is what HomeTheaterHifi thought about that player

In short, it's not very good.

Here is his DVD 101

Basically its a wash for PQ concerns. Both are pretty lowsy. He would get dvd-a and sacd though. If he wants that and wants a good Picture Quality, he should look elsewhere.

Comment

• Rolyasm
              • Dec 2004

Hmm, well that stinks. Guess he'll stick with the 101, unless like you say he wants to spend $350.00 for SACD! I'll leave it up to him.
              thanks
              Roly

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

If you're using a digital projector, 10 or 12 bit, even in a good player, may a total wash, becuase they digitize the signal in the front end, rarely with more than an 8 bit resolution. It's possible that the oversampling through a higher resolution DAC will help prevent quantization errors, but ultimately it is the projector which will limit the reproduction.

Note that there are MANY video quality issues determined not by the DAC's, but by the MPED decoding and de-interlacing. This is usually much more critical to the player performance with a wide range of program material. I'd suggest paying attention to ratings in tests like the DVD Player Benchmarks at Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity.
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"