Suggestions to replace a Runco VX-1c dlp?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JayM
    • Jun 2004

Suggestions to replace a Runco VX-1c dlp?

We built a home theater three years ago (our first) and among the componentry installed was a single-chip Runco dlp (a VX-1c), which has been a nightmare from a reliability standpoint from day 1. It has spent more time with the installer and Runco than in our theater, with the result that at last logging we have less than 600 hours of time on it in 3 years. At the moment it is with them (again), trying to sort out the latest set of problems which has kept our theater dark for the last 6 weeks. But my purpose here is not to vent (although it wouldn't take much to get me to ), but to get some advice on where to go from here. I know there are now better options at lower prices available, and would like any suggestions on what to replace the current pos with (the only rule is "anything but Runco"). The rest of the pieces include a Marantz 7000 amp/receiver, a set of James platinum speakers (the equivalent of the current Grand Symphony 10 line), including a pair of in-wall rears. When it is working, we use it mainly for HD satelite (Direct TV through the Sony high-def receiver) and DVD viewing. We have light curtains for all of the windows.
    The projector is mounted on the ceiling, projecting on a Stewart high-reflect 100" screen which is about 14' away. All of the cabling was over-designed (I can't remember the details, but could look it up if it matters), since that was the one thing I knew would be hard to upgrade once the sheetrock went on. Any suggestions and experiences gladly appreciated.
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Well, there's a lot of options you can consider.

If you liked the format and resolution, and reliability is your main issue, I'd take a close look at the NEC HT1100, which is also 4:3 XGA, though it's reportedly packaged with an optional 16:9 anamorphic lens. The original NEC HT-1000 has a strong following due to it's combination of contrast ratio, color fidelity, and reliable performance. The new model features 1100 ANSI lumens, 3500:1 contrast, native XGA (1024x768) resolution, single-chip DLP, with 6 segment, 5x speed color wheel.

From ProjectorCentral:

The upgrades incorporated into the HT1100 are as follows:

1. The color wheel rotation speed is increased from 4x on the HT1000 to 5x on the HT1100. While a 4x rotation speed is sufficient to eliminate DLP rainbow artifacts for most viewers, the incremental speed on this new unit will further reduce the chances of being bothered by them.

2. The IRIS, or variable lens aperture, is a feature of both units. The IRIS can be closed down manually to increase contrast performance at the expense of lumen output. On the HT1100 the IRIS can be closed a bit more, thus increasing the potential contrast performance from 3000:1 to 3500:1.

3. The HT1100 features a new lamp. It is a little brighter, which accounts for the increased ANSI lumen rating from 1000 to 1100 lumens. It is also longer life. In normal mode lamp life is now 2000 hours; it is extended to 3000 hours in eco-mode. On the earlier unit lamp life was 1500 hours in normal mode and 2000 hours in eco-mode.

4. The enhanced Sweetvision ™ video processing and scaling logic was available with interlaced signals only on the HT1000. For this reason we recommended using component interlaced signals on the HT1000 even if the user's DVD player had progressive scan outputs. On the HT1100, the Sweetvision logic is extended to handle both interlaced and progressive input signals.

5. The anamorphic lens is now packaged with the HT1100 for a bundled MSRP of $4,995. You can get the HT1100 without the anamorphic lens for $4,795. However this is not a good way to save two hundred bucks unless you already happen to have an anamorphic lens in your possession.

I suggest this primarily becuase it may fit smoothly into your existing installation, depending on throw distance, with good performance at a reasonable price. With the anamorhpic lens, it provides vertical resolution comparable to the HD2 series DLP projectors, though with somewhat less horizontal resolution. Overall, a reasonable tradeoff, as it's about 25% higher in resolution than comparable priced projectors using the TI Matterhorn DLP chip (1024X576).

If you want to go widescreen, then that opens up a lot more questions and options. In the price range of the original Runco, I'd suggest looking at the Sharp and Marantz current units, as well as JVC's LCOS offereings, like the HX-1. The Sharp 12000 is probably tops in color fidelity and contrast ratio, but it's a little lower in lumens than the immediate competition.

Hope this gives you some useful foof for thought.

Regards,

Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Re: throw distance

My HT1000, which has the same throw as the 1100, sits 14 feet from a 92 inch wide screen, which is just about the maximum at that position. It is basically a short throw PJ so that position will probably work just fine even at 100" as the zoom function will offer some leeway. But he should check out the offset. The NEC has a huge offset. For example, mine is floormounted and the bottom edge of my screen (start of the viewing surface) is 16 " from the center of the lens. If you have a low ceiling, as I do, a ceiling mount may be a problem. As to reliability, NEC pjs seem to be quite good in this area as I have read of few problems. My own PJ has a bit over 500 hours and is a year old and ticking along beautifully.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Well you've already got some Marantz gear, why not check out the Marantz VP-12S3? It's supposed to be one of the nicer single chip DLP's, has the new HD2+ chip, 7 segment colour wheel, all the major inputs, supposedly decent black levels etc. $12,999 MSRP.

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine

As to reliability, NEC pjs seem to be quite good in this area as I have read of few problems. My own PJ has a bit over 500 hours and is a year old and ticking along beautifully.

My NEC XM-29+ presentation monitor is 5 years old, and get's the most use at home- never a whimper or issue with it.

If 4:3 like the Runco is your plan, given your existing screen, then the HT1100 deserves a very close look. If you're considering spending any where near as much as the Runco ran for originally, I'd also look at the JVC's, as the offer 1368X1024 in 4:3, which may be worthwhile, given the extra resolution.

~Jon
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JayM
            • Jun 2004

Thanks everyone-I will definitely look into each of these.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"