X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frank T.
    • Oct 2003

DVI doesn't equal DVI!

What a drag: The moment you think you are able to match a brand name DVI player with a front projector with the much required "HDCP authorized" DVI input, more problems arrive:

Some DVI output DVD players prefer the companionship of certain front projectors. Forget 'Plug & Play'.

While most HDCP-DVI input equipped front projectors will flawlessly reveal new quality of 480p (NTSC) or 576p (PAL) source material, the latest generation of DVD players (e.g.: Denon, Pioneer) will internally rescale the source signal to properly match it with the display device's resolution, yielding even better quality - IN THEORY!

Namely the Denon (European name "A11") will not provide any front projector with 480 rescaling to 720p or even 1080 that actually looks better than 480p-

The entire issue is going to be a major Fall topic - at least to our German "Joe Kane" and several colleagues of mine.

I wonder if HDMI ("DVI 2.0") will overcome these bugs.

So make sure to test and match your front projectors to the DVI-enabled DVD players of your choice or vice versa

Frank T.
    Frank T.
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Is this the equivalent of the U.S. model 5900? And are you saying it will not output upscaled 720p and 1080i over its DVI port?

That would suck, because it does do so in this country. I have read reviews by several people who are using it so.

BB

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"