X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ajpoe
    • Jul 2004

Sub(s)? How do you have your HT setup?

I am trying to do some research... I'd like to see what you think is the best way to setup your sub(s) for a system that will be for both Music and HT.

I'm really torn. I am thinking about making some changes in my system, but I don't know for sure and I'd like to see what others are doing. I thought this might help. Any elaboration on why you went the route you did is more than welcome!
    Single .1 sub
    68.75%
    Dual co-located .1 subs
    6.25%
    Dual subs located separately
    12.50%
    Multiple Subs
    12.50%
    AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!
  • Nick M
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

I put one sub next to each of my Front L & R speakers.
    ~Nick

Comment

• Neal_C
      • Feb 2003

Hmm, not sure how to vote in the poll.

I have an SVS PB12-Plus/2, which is dual 12" woofers in one box. I also have Def. Tech 2002TL mains, with each speaker containing a 12" woofer.

I run the mains as large and my other speakers as small. My sub sits next front right main.

So, 3 seperate subs all semi-co-located in the front of the room

Comment

• ajpoe
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Neal_C
        Hmm, not sure how to vote in the poll.

I have an SVS PB12-Plus/2, which is dual 12" woofers in one box. I also have Def. Tech 2002TL mains, with each speaker containing a 12" woofer.

I run the mains as large and my other speakers as small. My sub sits next front right main.

So, 3 seperate subs all semi-co-located in the front of the room
        Neil, I too am running powered subs with my mains (surrounds too) but no .1 sub so I send the LFE to all 4. I am trying to decide if I want to keep things the way they are, or get a .1 sub to replace all the subs and cross everything at 80 Hz, or just simply add a .1 sub to the mix.

I'd imagine you just use the Def Techs for music without the Plus/2 since they already have subs? One big concern is getting rid of the subs on my mains and then using a single sub with music. I have a DAC1 and really don't want my 1068 doing any processing after the DAC1 so its in BYPASS mode the way I have things now.

The Plus/2 is one of the subs I have looked into if I change anything... SVS thinks that if I were to replace all 4 subs and go with just the Plus/2 (and a BFD), I would get a much more flat FR in my room for both music and movies. Have you ever charted your FR to see if you have any cancellations/notches from running multiple subs? I'm not sure to go about doing this with multiple channels involved.

Comment

• Cowanrg
          • Feb 2004

i just threw in my vote. dual .1 subs.

i have a velodyne hgs15x behind the left and right front speaker, both running off the LFE mono signal. wouldnt do it any other way.

Comment

• Neal_C
            • Feb 2003

AJpoe,

Yes, I just use my mains without the SVS for music, but I rarely listen to music.

I could easily just run all my speakers as small and let my wonderful SVS do all the work, but to be honest, the FR numbers are actually a little better running the mains as large. I don't really get any cancellation that I can tell and some of the dips that I had, though not solved, are actually less of a problem with all 3 running.

It is a living room setup, far from ideal, but it works and sounds pretty good.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

I have dual SVS PC-Ultras. They're pretty much co-located, just a couple feet apart. Mucho power.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Patt
                • Feb 2005

Hi Joe,

After moving my single cylinder sub to the back room and setting it up behind and centered between the speakers it made a world of difference for the better.
                In the other room it was tried in 4 different locations, none of which were ideal.
                ......Pat

Comment

• jimmyp58
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2003

I employ 2 subs in my primary setup. The 1st sub is in the front of the room on a side wall and the other is in the corner of the rear of the room. I fiddled around a lot before settling on this setup. For music, I turn the 2nd sub off.

Jim
                  jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• jimmyp58
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

By the way, nice setup AJPOE!
                    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Adz
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ajpoe
                      Neil, I too am running powered subs with my mains (surrounds too) but no .1 sub so I send the LFE to all 4. I am trying to decide if I want to keep things the way they are, or get a .1 sub to replace all the subs and cross everything at 80 Hz, or just simply add a .1 sub to the mix.
                      One variation would be to incorporate a .1 sub, but then do your crossover at say 40 or 50 Hz. That way your main speakers handle all frequencies down to that crossover point so you still almost get that "Large" speaker response which is optimal IMO for true home theater without overloading your speakers and it leaves your sub to handle just the very low frequencies which its probably better at anyway. I have found that to yield the best results for home theater (in my set-up the only difference being I run my front L&R speakers as Large since they are Def Tech 7000s).
                      Adz

Comment

• Sithlord
                        • Aug 2004

I bought the SVS B12-Plus/4 so I wouldn't need to worry about having two subs. But to have 2 B12-Plus/4 well thats another story.

Comment

• Shane Martin
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Apr 2001

Sithlord,
                          In my research to upgrade my subbass system, I'm finding quite a few people prefer dual subs over 1 big one even those folks that owned a b12-Plus/4.

Take the Pb12Ultra/2 which I'm considering. While it's early in my research I keep getting the hints to go dual Pb12ultras over 1 big pb12ultra/2. The gain in port area should net 3-5 db more according to the "experts".

At this point I'm subless but trying to decide which way to drop 2k on a sub system and I know DIY isn't going to happen. I'm leaning on 2 subs vs 1 big one.

Given my room I'd colocate them. My other corner which is the only other place to put a sub has major issues.

Comment

• ajpoe
                            • Jul 2004

Thanks jimmyp!

I still have no idea what I want to do here... I'm afraid that if I go from multiple subs to a single sub, I may have localization issues. But, on the other hand, with a BFD and .1 sub only, I would probably get a flatter response and potentially deeper bass with something like the Plus/2 or Ultra/2 in 16 Hz mode.

I'm still trying to figure the best way to get a room response curve with all 5 channels going. If I run the 1068 in 5 channel (not pro logic) mode put a mono signal into the analog L and R of the 1068, I should get the same signal going to all 5 channels right? I have a program on my HTPC called SweepGen. I can manually play any frequency with it... so if I were to chart my room using various freqs in SweepGen with the 1068 in 5 channel mode, would I get an accurate curve? I'd like to sit in the 'sweet spot' and see how flat of a response I get with all the speakers in my system running together.

Comment

• eddiem67
                              • Jun 2004

Well considering my room is only 14 x 19, 1 sub was suffice for me, its an adire Sadhara with 1200 watts to it, more than enough ooomph. Mine is set up in the front right, unfortunately I got a 6db peak at 31.5 hertz (eq'd the spike to correct) but it sounds amazing. I can not imagine runnin dual Sadhara's!
                              My Car Audio

Comment

• Snap
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Feb 2005

Eddie what did you use to EQ the sub?
                                The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• eddiem67
                                  • Jun 2004

Audio Control Richter Scale
                                  My Car Audio

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2001

My HT is basically used for movies only, so my 2 subs are located for best response in the room, which is located in the basement. One sub is up front just to the left of the center speaker, and the second sub is located on the right sidewall about 5 feet down from the back wall. It took a lot of trial and error in various positions before I settled on this configuration. Is it correct ? I dunno. All I know is my pant legs flap when the low end stuff is powerful.
                                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Patt
                                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Shane Martin
                                      At this point I'm subless but trying to decide which way to drop 2k on a sub system and I know DIY isn't going to happen. I'm leaning on 2 subs vs 1 big one.
                                      Whichever way you go (1 versus 2) if you enjoy music go for the highest quality you can find.
                                      My SVS cylinder is killer for movies but with music it is a whole different story.
                                      ......Pat

Comment

• methenyfan11
                                        • May 2005

I'm new to this stuff, but seems to me that having a sub next to each main speaker PLUS a .1 from the LFE would be ideal. That way you get the full range from the mains for music /CD's, but also get the seperate LFE material from a seperate sub for HT use.

If money were not a limitation, I would have a sub at each speaker (or use high end Def Techs or another truly full range speaker) plus a seperate sub for the .1. This is just my instinct as I have little experience yet in this field. Just learning! Peter

Comment

• Patt
                                          • Feb 2005

:agree: ..One at each speaker seems like the ideal way to do it.
                                          ......Pat

Comment

• ajpoe
                                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by methenyfan11
                                            I'm new to this stuff, but seems to me that having a sub next to each main speaker PLUS a .1 from the LFE would be ideal. That way you get the full range from the mains for music /CD's, but also get the seperate LFE material from a seperate sub for HT use.

If money were not a limitation, I would have a sub at each speaker (or use high end Def Techs or another truly full range speaker) plus a seperate sub for the .1. This is just my instinct as I have little experience yet in this field. Just learning! Peter
                                            I agree that keeping my subs on each channel and adding an LFE would be ideal... I'd like to have something that can reach those really low 10-12 Hz freqs on the LFE and still have my fronts full range for music. I just don't have the space to add another sub... I think I'm just going to keep things the way I have them for now in hopes that I will be moving in the not so distant future and will be able to do up a dedicated room with something sick! :twisted:

Comment

• Jam_Master_J
                                              • Mar 2005

With my current 5.1 rig I have one 15" Tempest in the order to handle all the LFE. However, I'm putting together a stereo rig in which I hope to run two subs in a true stereo fashion.

Comment

• Shane Martin
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Apr 2001

My SVS cylinder is killer for movies but with music it is a whole different story
                                                I assume that's a negative? I can't say I've been displeased with the music experiences I've had with the SVS's I've heard. All have been "musical".

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                                                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ajpoe
                                                  I agree that keeping my subs on each channel and adding an LFE would be ideal... I'd like to have something that can reach those really low 10-12 Hz freqs on the LFE and still have my fronts full range for music. I just don't have the space to add another sub... I think I'm just going to keep things the way I have them for now in hopes that I will be moving in the not so distant future and will be able to do up a dedicated room with something sick! :twisted:
                                                  Can you say IB? Very musical as well. Never heard a box sub sound very musical, but if that's all you have ever heard then you would never know.
                                                  My Center Channel Project

Comment

• gd
                                                    • Jan 2003

Running a single .1 sub, SVS 25-31PCi... mostly because it's in a small 14x14x9 room, and I have no intention of going 7.1; would rather position speakers optimally for 5.1 SACD/DVDA than movies.

In that small near-field room, everything works, and SVS's lowest model is more than ample... no localization issues, easy set-up (test tones + meter)... did not run a proper sweep, but nothing ever sounds 'wrong'.

But... with regard to 5.1 hi-res music specifically, it seems that running all speakers 'large' and augmenting with 3 small subs (fronts / center / rears) with speaker-level connections might yield better results... I used to have that room set up as 5.0 with 4 matching very full-range speakers (center was neither full-range nor matched), no sub... gotta admit hi-res music sounded somewhat better that way, leaving me with the impression that SACD/DVDA is produced with full-range monitors in mind... which few people have -- including me, now that I've downsized everything in that room (except the SVS).

Meanwhile, sounds fine as is... always a work in progress...
                                                    greg (gd to you)
                                                    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                                                    production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Azeke
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2003

I am currently running a single .1 sub (Sunfire True Sig) in a 7.1 config.

However, if someone out there has s spare sub laying around, I am willing to test within my HT environment and report my findings here .

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• eddiem67
                                                        • Jun 2004

I have a DD15 and a Sunfire True JR sittin in my garage if you want to drive down and pick em up .
                                                        My Car Audio

Comment

• Azeke
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by eddiem67
                                                          I have a DD15 and a Sunfire True JR sittin in my garage if you want to drive down and pick em up .
                                                          Just tell me when and where :T .

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                          Search Result for "|||"