Whaddya think about speaker setup options?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohanK
    • Aug 2000

Whaddya think about speaker setup options?

Which setup do you think is better (and why) in a 5.1 system:

Setup 1: all satellite speakers high passed and multiple subs reproducing mono signal

Setup 2: full range speakers (i.e. good to 30 Hz)on front mains and rears, center high passed and a single sub for LFE + center bass

TIA, I appreciate all responses (even yours Lexman ).

• Tom R S 4
    • Aug 2000

Setup #2 is the better one. In a nutshell, because bass doesn't become non-directional until below 50hz (from my quick test) or 40hz (from what I've heard others say). This is what really gets my goat about the infamous 80hz cut-off imposed by 'some people's' specifications.

Tempus Fugit
    Tempus Fugit

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

The point at which bass becomes non direction depends a lot on the room, in my room with my setup etc my 80 hz crossover works very well...but I've got my sub up along the front wall which helps. Anyway I would tend to agree that #2 would be the best in an ideal world...however in the real world with limited funds I'd rather have high end bookshelf speakers and a great sub then large towers that weren't as good as the bookshelfs...

Comment

• Lexman
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2000

#2 absolutely. Concentrated bass is much better. Spread out they begin to cancel each other out. I love the results of my Velex subs stacked. Of course, I have been told I should get my drivers closer together, reversing one sub, but the results as is, is phenominal.

Lex

Comment

• MRWILLL
          • Aug 2000

I use full range towers to compliment Lexicon's 7.1 Bass Enhance (40Hz). With my (2) Velodyne subs, and all my channels playing below 40Hz, my LF is like a tidle wave hitting my viewing room. Sometimes I get all wet, LOL!!

STOP!!...LOOK!!...LISTEN!!
          DVD...Hear it from the people who
          mixed and mastered it "LEXICON".

Comment

• MRWILLL
            • Aug 2000

Part 2...

If money were no object, I'd get the best 2-way spk and put the sub that I like on each ch/spk, and two (or more) big 18" subs for the LF. IMO, no full range spk's sub can outplay a dedicated sub.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"