X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patt
    • Feb 2005

Sonic Signature?

For years I have owned Denon stereo recievers and have been satisfied with their particular sound and capability until lately.
    (I would describe the Denon as "warm" or "dark" with my Paradigm speakers.)

If I hook up a different brand seperate amp to this reciever w/ the pre-outs, will the same Denon "sonic signature" come from the speakers or will it show the amps "sonic signature"?

Based on what I find...a matching pre-amp or different integrated amp may be in order.

Thanks for the help.....Pat
    ......Pat
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Patt, how about a resounding "maybe" for your answer? :B

Amps (and speakers, too) all have differing designs, different levels of component quality, different levels of build quality and consequently different "sounds". For example, if you put a Halo JC-1 in place of your Denon, you'll hear a more extended top end, probably more detail overall and definitely better bass control. If you drop in a tube amp, you'll probably hear more mid-range emphasis, if you drop in . . . .

As both amps and speakers differ, combining one with another will change the equation each time. Some differences will be major and some will be inaudible if they differ at all. That's one of the best examples of why we call them "systems".

Hope this helps. If it's too general we can get lots further "into the weeds" if you want.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Patt
      • Feb 2005

Thank you David,
      You just confirmed it can be impossible to tell what the sound will be like without actually having a different piece in place.

sheeesh.....back to more shopping again, so many choices. :unsure:
      ......Pat

Comment

• cuda65
        • Feb 2005

Patt: I have a Denon 3300 hooked up to an Anthem MCA 30 Amp which runs my front three speakers. Paradigm 100 v3's and CC 570. The front speakers sound great with the Anthem AMP. I am very happy with the sound of my system. Adding the amp made a big difference. :T
        Doug

Comment

• Patt
          • Feb 2005

Thanks Cuda, 225 watts sounds great to me.....I've heard Anthem is a good match to Paradigms.

Studio 100's..... ;x(
          ......Pat

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I hate to throw another variable into the mix here, but it's important. Pat, you are absolutely right when you say that
            it can be impossible to tell what the sound will be like without actually having a different piece in place
            Testing the pieces you are interested in is essential for happy buying, but testing them in your room is the only way you'll know what the unit will actually sound like. In-store will give you some idea, but it won't be the same. Room shape, size, height, make-up (sheetrock, masonry, glass, etc.) furniture, speaker location - all play a part in what your system will sound like in your home. The exact same hardware will sound different in a different room. It may not be a big difference, but it will be different.

Caveat emptor.

Comment

• Uncle Clive
              Former Moderator
              • Jan 2002

Tell me.......What in your opinion makes a difference 1) The way a the signal is processed or 2) The way that signal is amplifiered?
              CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

1) Yes
                2) Yes

Seriously though, both do affect the way that your system sounds. Jon or Thomas should probably hop in here for really good explanations, but I'll take a stab at it. Oops gotta run, back in a sec. . . .

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Sorry, nasty ol' work interfered.

If we lived in an ideal world, our electronic equipment would simply produce the exact, un-altered sound of a live instrument, band, orchestra, whatever. However, we don't and they don't. The things we put in the signal path all subtract from, add to, or at best don't interefere too much with what comes off the source media. When I say "the things" I'm talking about resistors, pots, volume controls, DSPs (digital signal processors), plain old wiring, aluminum chassis, etc. Each has a sonic signature that when added together produces the flavored signals that exit from the various pre-pros, receivers, amps or other components. Different equipment manufacturers (Denon, Yamaha, MacIntosh, Lexicon, etc.) use different brands/models and quality of chips, resistors, caps, etc. and wire them together differently to process the signals from source components. As these various pieces differ in processing methods from brand to brand and even from model to model you can see that there are almost endless combinations possible. Now, send that signal on through speaker wire to the speaker where another kind of processing is done by the cross-over and then on to the driver(s) in the speaker where that signal is converted into sound. And, that process is another whole can of worms, shaping the sound based on driver-type, cabinet shape, materials, and everything else that goes into speaker design. With all these things affecting the music you hear, is it a wonder that most recommendations have the phrase "but first, listen to it at home if you can" in them?

I hope this helps and hasn't confused the issue further. :gah:

Comment

• Patt
                    • Feb 2005

Thanks for taking the time David...... :T
                    ......Pat

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"