X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiofantoo
    • Mar 2005

Audio settings for Samsung DVD-HD841

I'm new to HT and I'm still trying to make sense of some of this stuff.

Here's a description of my system:
    Denon AVR 1905
    Rotel 1070
    Energy C4 (front), C2 (surround), AC-300 (center)
    Samsung HD-841
    Powerspec LCD

The Rotel is driving the fronts and the Denon drives the rest. They don't match in power so I've made adjustments in the Denon setup to compensate but the Samsung 841 doesn't allow me to make this correction. Surprisingly I haven't found this to be a significant issue.

OK - I'm finally getting around to my question ;-)
    The Samsung 841 has settings for Digital Output and the choice is "PCM" or "Bitstream". I have both 5.1 analog and a TOS connections right now between the 841 and the receiver. Since DVD-Audio and SACD only output their best quality sound on the 5.1 analog connection I've been using it for everything. I will probably ditch the TOS connection. I use the Samsung 841 for SACD, DVD video, and a few DVD-Audio. Does the Digital Output matter? If so, what is the ideal setting? I'd like to configure it one way and leave it there.

I'm also considering replacing the 841 with a hybrid player that can output 6.1 channel sound but I'm not convinced it's worth the money. I'm very surprised at the limited titles in SACD and DVD-Audio so I'm not sure how long these formats will last. Seems like some kind of HD-DVD w/1394 connections would be worth the wait.

Any comments/suggestions?
  • audiofantoo
    • Mar 2005

Nevermind. I'm replacing this with a Pioneer DV-578A-S. This unit claims to have bass managment and the DAC specs are better. Still a cheap player but it will hold me over until I'm ready for HD-DVD/Blue-ray (hopefully we won't have to make a choice!)

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Cool!

(welcome to the Guide, too!) :banana:
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"