X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HibbardSmith
    • Jan 2004

Samsung HPN-5039

I've had this set for about a month now. I really like most everything about it. However, it's got a t least one questionable feature. There are several "modes" that are effectively picture presets. They are called "movie", "standard", "dynamic" and "custom".. In "custom" you can set up your own settings for brightness, contrast, sharpness, color and hue. However, you can't change the settings for "movie", "standard" or "dynamic". If you attempt to adjust any of these settings while in a preset, it immediately switches to "custom" and applies the changes to it. This loses anything you had set up for "custom". As it comes from the factory, most of these are useless. "Movie" is too dark and washed out. "Standard" has a chance on some stuff and "dynamic" is just 100% brightness, 100% contrast, way too much color and sharpness. Curiously, this set comes with a 100 page user guide but very little actual useful information. The manual tells you how to select these modes but gives no idea of what they're intended to accomplish. Maybe, if they'd tell us what they were for they might make more sense.

What I'm wondering is: is there a way to adjust the settings for those preset modes? I'm sure there must be a way, but Samsung doesn't seem to want to share it. As they come from the factory, those modes aren't worth much. It would be very useful to be able to set them to some intelligent settings and use them for realistic presets.

It's a shame that an otherwise great set is crippled by something so stupid.

Smitty,
    Hibbard T. Smith, JR
    smitty@essnjay.com
    Smitty,
    Hibbard T. Smith, JR
    smitty@essnjay.com
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

It's unfortunate but true that a lot of the companies put "functions" on their equipement that seem to have limited usage and seemed to have not been thought through for intuitive operation by the people who purchase them but I digress...

My Hitachi CRT-RPTV has different modes (Sports, Movies etc) as well that you're able to set up for different inputs/sources. Mine however are actually user selectable, with options too!. I ran in to this same problem setting up a friend of mines (Panasonic was it?... Philips?...:? ) CRT-RPTV. I tried to start in the movie mode (velocity scan disabled) and work from there with no luck. Same situation you're running into. Have you tried e-mailing their tech-support for more detailed information? That's likely your best bet.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"